Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
1978 Excella 500

1978 31' Excella 500
Novato , California
Exterior fresh water pipe - what is it? <- leaks

On my 1978 Excella 500 there is an exterior fresh water connection that is, weirdly, a female standard hose pipe fitting. It is just a few inches from the exterior waste water connection on the driver's side of the trailer (in back). I have a feeling that it is not 'standard' nor original. There's a mix of plastic flexible hosing in the back of the trailer in addition to copper piping. So I think previous owner(s) did some plumbing work on it (when the hot water heater and pump were replaced for example).

Anyhow, as best as I can trace, the water to this exterior spigot/connection comes from the fresh water tank as it runs from the back towards the (mid camper) kitchen.

However, when not on shore water (remote camping, no fresh water hose attachment) with the pump only, this fitting does not leak. BTW: Forgot to mention, there is no on/off valve for it anywhere that I can find. But - if I am at a camp site with shore fresh water hook up, when hooked up and pressure on, water drips out of this exterior spigot at a rate of about a drip a second. It has made for some weird looks from some site owners as the water pools and runs from just about where our waste water hookup is - so site owners immediately think we're leaking poo water out and they get concerned.

Anyhow - I was curious if anyone knew what this external spigot/hookup would be for? Again it is weird that it is a female hose pipe connection, as that would be for connecting a host to it for flow INTO the trailer, where as if it were a male fitting, then it would make more sense that it might be a way to hook up an external hose pipe to the trailer for an exterior fresh water source (which - if it were both warm/hot water I could hook up an external shower setup to it <= which would be my dream having 4 kids that get dirty as hell when camping....).

Let me know if you have thoughts on this one?
Emittim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Yes, that is the original city water hook up. The black hose was probably used to bypass the pressure regulator. I suspect that the pressure regulator was removed after it froze and burst. I don't remember if there was a check valve for the city water inlet. It may have been part of the pressure regulator.

Cheers,

John
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:56 PM   #3
1978 Excella 500

1978 31' Excella 500
Novato , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnpk Crsr View Post
Yes, that is the original city water hook up. The black hose was probably used to bypass the pressure regulator. I suspect that the pressure regulator was removed after it froze and burst. I don't remember if there was a check valve for the city water inlet. It may have been part of the pressure regulator.

Cheers,

John
Thanks for the response!
Interesting. As I have built in (under side bunk) reeled power line and water line/hose for city water. So there were two city water connection points? Or are you suggesting/saying that the reeled power and water hookups that I have were not original on the '78?

All that said, if I were to close off that inlet point for city water, it shouldn't cause any issues, correct? I need to do something about it leaking before the next trip. The last two I've taken ended up with site managers saying something to me about it. I hate wasting the water #1, but also hate having to explain that it's not poo water and that my old rig just leaks and I've been too busy with other tasks on it to get to fixing that issue...
Old 07-08-2020, 11:18 PM   #4
1978 Excella 500

1978 31' Excella 500
Novato , California
Ah - I've found and read a few more postings that are somewhat related. Sounds like both are for city water and a check valve amongst the two is what is leaking in my case, allowing water to come out of the static inlet port when using the reeled hose connection. I might try using the static port as a connection next time to see if it then leaks out of the reeled hose. Otherwise, I'll be digging under the bed and looking around the reeled hose area to see if I can find the check valve for replacement. Or might just bypass and cut off the static inlet as I've never used it anyhow (and sounds like others do the same, only using the reeled line for city water and not the static port).
Old 07-09-2020, 06:34 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I did realize that you had the Excella (I think) model with the built in hose. I don’t know how the built in hose is connected. Does your reel still work? I think that most reels died as they got older. Does your central vacuum still work?

Regards,

John
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Sounds like someone bypassed the hose reel set up because they leaked after a few years. My 1976 Excella was bypassed and had a fresh water inlet hard piped to the city side of the regulator.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #7
1978 Excella 500

1978 31' Excella 500
Novato , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnpk Crsr View Post
I did realize that you had the Excella (I think) model with the built in hose. I don’t know how the built in hose is connected. Does your reel still work? I think that most reels died as they got older. Does your central vacuum still work?

Regards,

John
Both power and hose reels do work. I need to shorten the hose on it, as the last 2 or 3 turns are weak on the spring and I some times have to reach up inside and turn the reel with my hand to get the last couple feet of the hose on the reel. But otherwise, works great still, no leaks either. Looks like the hose (of course) is relatively new RV hose, but nothing else looks to have been replaced otherwise.

Central vac does not work. I've had the trailer for a couple years now and that's on my todo list to see if the motor is burnt out or if there are other issue(s) with it. Motor replacement should be plausible if it's done for, just haven't dove into that project just yet. I also don't have any of the original hoses or other pieces to it, but will cross that bridge when I come to it.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs up

Quick fix also permanent fix for drip is screw brass plug or winterizing air plug into fitting that drips, but can be removed any time, then no more hassles and no worry of check valve. I fixed my drip on 76 AS with winterizing air plug when at camp ground & owner was upset about drip, was satisfied w/fix no drip. I never hook up to city water so no big deal, fill tank w/hose thru door on side, only use bottled water for every thing except bathroom facilities [shower, toilet, & wash basin].
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:06 PM   #9
1978 Excella 500

1978 31' Excella 500
Novato , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Quick fix also permanent fix for drip is screw brass plug or winterizing air plug into fitting that drips, but can be removed any time, then no more hassles and no worry of check valve. I fixed my drip on 76 AS with winterizing air plug when at camp ground & owner was upset about drip, was satisfied w/fix no drip. I never hook up to city water so no big deal, fill tank w/hose thru door on side, only use bottled water for every thing except bathroom facilities [shower, toilet, & wash basin].
Yep - I bought a ball shut off valve adapter from Ace (about 2" long) and have screwed that into the static city water inlet pipe that leaks. With that, next trip, I can test using that as the city water inlet and see if the check valve leak allows water to come out of the reeled hose. If so, then the temporary fix is to use the reeled hose connection for city water and close the ball valve on the static inlet. I may just bypass the reel hose some day, as that is sure to some day fail and/or start to leak and I'd rather not end up with water damage on the original 1978 vintage sub flooring that is otherwise in really good shape. But that's the long term fix when I have more time on my hands!
Old 07-17-2020, 04:35 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1977 21' Globetrotter
Davis , California
Exterior hose connection at driver side left rear

You're looking at a city water inlet, so you can hook up an external water supply and bypass the fresh water pump. It has a built-in check-valve to prevent water flowing out through the connector when using the water pump, as in boondocking, or in case of pressure loss in the supply.

If that's the original valve, the rubber seal inside the valve that prevents back flow (i.e. when using the water pump) is very old, and may start leaking as soon as you finish with a city water hookup.

Mine just started leaking after 43 years, so the connector/backflow preventer is due for replacement.

Note that you are never to use both the pump and city water supply simultaneously. It's one or the other, or you'll have damage.
flyflinger is offline   Reply With Quote