Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Harper , Texas
draining freshwater tank

After turning the white plastic petcock on the freshwater to drain it, water just trickles out extremely slow. It takes all day long to drain 50 gallons of water. Is there any way to speed this up or am I doing something wrong?
bencamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Run a wire up on the petcock and see if it's partially blocked.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Sandpoint , Idaho
Ours needs to turn 180 degrees, not just the 90 like many other similar valves.
Yachthalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:51 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink Sloooow...

....... the drain is only 1/4" ID.....it WILL take awhile.

If our FW tank is full, even with the ball valve wide open it still takes 24hrs.

Bob
Old 01-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Single Slice

2004 28' Safari S/O
Livingston , Louisiana
I see and use the plastic drain valve, but what is the brass petcock valve on the bottom of the shielding for? Have not tried to force it open as the plastic drain valve does drain the tank.
david686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I suppose you could supplement the petcock drain with your fresh water pump if emptying time is a concern.

I have always just let mine take its own sweet time - even if we have to hit the road.

Maybe it might make following drivers wonder just what is coming from the trailer ahead that is sprinkling their windshield though!

Reminds me of a sewage pump- out truck I saw on the highway once that had a big sign painted on the back that said "That ain't water on your windshield lady!" - hopefully just to amuse people in following vehicles!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by david686 View Post
I see and use the plastic drain valve, but what is the brass petcock valve on the bottom of the shielding for? Have not tried to force it open as the plastic drain valve does drain the tank.
Maybe your low point drain, but if so, I think there normally should be two close together (hot & cold lines), that is what is on our 2005 Classic anyway.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
While we are talking about draining freshwater tanks, I could use some help. I have a 2011 FC 30. I was going to drain the freshwater tank after sanitizing the system, but I can't find the drain! I rolled around under the rig on my creeper and found no drains. Am I just not sufficiently observant? I had no trouble locating the drain valves on my 2007 Safari 25. All I see here are two plastic hose ends projecting through the belly pan. One was white and one red. No low-point drains either. Must I use the pump to empty the freshwater tank?

Richard
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
draining freshwater tank

Have you looked inside above where the white and red hoses are located? Under some kind of cover or floor plate.
We bought a Nash trailer last year. It has a 1 1/2" valve for the fresh water dump. It is quick and easy to use. Plus it does a bit of flushing because of the volume. I think it is a definite improvement over the pet cock style. If I need to replace the tank on our Argosy I will certainly increase the fresh water dump valve size.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss Guy View Post
All I see here are two plastic hose ends projecting through the belly pan. One was white and one red. No low-point drains either. Must I use the pump to empty the freshwater tank?

Richard
Red and white sounds like low point drains. Ours are at the right-rear corner but the valves are above, in the rear access. Our owner's manual says where the freshwater drain valve is, have you looked in the manual?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Newton , Illinois
Following
Means jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Same problem with my 2015 FC 28. With water in the tank, I maneuvered a small length of plastic tubing in the drain hole and blew in it. Some black mold/moss looking stuff came out and water flowed strong. Only problem is that I have now sanitized 3 times with 6 ozs of Clorox and I'm still having to blow in plastic tube to clear whatever this black stuff is.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Same problem with my 2015 FC 28. With water in the tank, I maneuvered a small length of plastic tubing in the drain hole and blew in it. Some black mold/moss looking stuff came out and water flowed strong. Only problem is that I have now sanitized 3 times with 6 ozs of Clorox and I'm still having to blow in plastic tube to clear whatever this black stuff is.
If you've got black stuff - first ask yourself what kind of water are you using to FILL your tank? Sadly if you're running it through a bunch of filters you may be filtering out the small amount of city supplied chlorine which will prevent that kind of sediment - or black algae from forming.

You might try filling a glass gallon bottle with your regular fill water, sealing the lid and watching what happens to it over a week to 10 days - that'll tell you if the water is the problem.

I'd do the equivalent of a "shock treatment" like it's a swimming pool on the tank too. You don't want UNDILUTED bleach in your tank - but one time using a quart and filling the tank about 3/4 full then really agitating it for a 50 mile drive or so - then draining it completely would be good.

BTW - always OPEN the FILL when you're draining otherwise you're creating a vacuum in the tank, which could crack the fill tube or even damage the tank. If you're draining the tank and leaving it empty for a while you might even consider carefully angling the trailer so that there isn't any chance that any water remains IN it - or even blowing it out from above with a very modest amount of air pressure. Using your winterizing kit plug and a 12 volt tire pump would be my choice.

Paula
Old 06-22-2016, 08:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I purchased the machined aluminum flange several years ago on ebay. I have purchased another Airstream and would like to replace the plastic valve with the aluminum flange, but it seems they are no longer available on ebay. Do you know of any sources?
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:42 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen View Post
I purchased the machined aluminum flange several years ago on ebay. I have purchased another Airstream and would like to replace the plastic valve with the aluminum flange, but it seems they are no longer available on ebay. Do you know of any sources?
This vender?

He is not a large volume shop, availability comes & goes, ck back periodically, it should re-appear.

Bob
Old 06-23-2016, 05:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ditto to Paula's good advice. Airstreams are meant to be used which includes very regular use of the fresh water in the tank. We have become too enamored of full hookups, so folks are disregarding the standard operating procedures of keeping their tanks (fresh and waste) in tip-top operating shape.

Use it or lose it comes to mind.

The bleach treatments should also be pumped through all the plumbing lines as needed.

I would be careful here until the water is clearly OK again. Understanding the source cause of the black gunk, in a trailer which is only a couple of years old, must happen ASAP.

Good luck, and please let us know what you do.

Thanks,

Peter

PS Bob thanks for the reminder about the replacement fitting.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote