Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
Airstream fanatic

1979 31' Sovereign
Bouse , Arizona
draining fresh water tank for travel???

Hi everyone

We have a 1979 31' Sovereign, and we have full hookups (the grey and black tanks are hooked up and open). We are getting ready to take off soon and we need to dump the fresh water tank, which according to the switchboard, its half full. Its located in the closet, but how do I dump it?? Thank you!!!!

1979 Sovereign International (Olivia)
1986 F-250 4X4 (Oscar)
BLOG: https://grapesbigadventure.wordpress.com.
Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We would just run it through your systems and empty it via the holding tanks in the usual way. I.e. run the faucets and shower, flush the toilet til the fresh water tank is basically empty.

There is a little thingy on our hot water heater (outside) that you flip to drain that.

Maggie
Old 04-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I don't know where your drains are located, but as a general rule you shouldn't leave the black tank open when you have full hookups. That can allow the liquids to drain away quickly, leaving solids to dry and harden and building what I've seen referred to as a "poop pyramid" that requires some effort to eliminate.

It's best to leave the dump valve for the black tank closed and empty it periodically.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Why, by the way, do you feel you need to dump the fresh tank? Has the water been in there forever and you just want to flush it? It can be useful to have some freshwater on board when traveling.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Butttttt, since you asked. Between the axels on the curbside ( drivers side ) wayyyy down low you should see a white plastic valve with a handle. It's probably in closed position now so grab it and twist it to the open position. It may be hard to turn with your fingers and there's no room to get any tools down there but you gotta do it. It may be old and brittle and, yes, it might break off. Then you gotta replace it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #6

1995 34' Excella
Pembroke Pines , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
It may be hard to turn with your fingers and there's no room to get any tools down there but you gotta do it. It may be old and brittle and, yes, it might break off. Then you gotta replace it.
And replacing it is not fun nor easy
That's my task this week, to fix the leaking drain.
ronnie_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
We usually drain fresh or add to if it is empty, like to travel with a 1/3 tank, would prefer less but command center show 1/3 as first led. Has been great, as enough water for flushing and if first stop happens to be a boondocking it makes it easy, until we get to a regular cg.

On reread your post, I would do as others have suggested, pump some into your black tank so that it will breakup the pyramid while you travel.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I don't travel with partially filled tanks. I usually run fully loaded fresh water, but if running home I'll drain the tank.

Partially filled tanks tend to increase sway, if the tank is athwartship; or pitch, if the tank is fore and aft. It's called free surface effect.

Less of a problem the closer the tank is to the axle.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My tank is between the axles. BW and GW right behind the axles. I have always traveled with 15 gallons or so in the FW tank and whatever (not full) in the other two. Have never experienced any kind of behavior of the trailer (sway) whether it's empty or 20 or 30 gallons between the three tanks.

I do understand the principle of the surface effect, but in the modern center(ish) tanks of the AS layouts, I don't think it is a significant issue when sane driving habits are in play.

Edit: Also most of today's tanks are at and below the centerline of the axle shafts.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Well, I'm happy to hear that. The tank in my trailer is located at the front behind the gaucho, so I notice its really squirrely if its half full.

I don't know where the tank is in a 1979 Sovereign, so I guess you're right.

If the tanks are close to the axle, it's less a problem.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I would think high is bad. High and rearward is worst. I was thinking of the older front/high tanks as I was typing my post above, but I THINK by '79 they were low and center....but not sure.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
Airstream fanatic

1979 31' Sovereign
Bouse , Arizona
OK, the fresh water has been in there for about a month, and we have half a tank... if I need to keep water in there, I should probably drain it and add new before we leave huh? Thanks in advance about the black water tank being open, I did not realize that. I'm still new to this whole Airstream travel business!

Well this could turn out to be interesting...

1979 Sovereign International (Olivia)
1986 F-250 4X4 (Oscar)
BLOG: https://grapesbigadventure.wordpress.com.
Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
fresh water tank

A few drops of clorox in your FW tank will kill any bacteria that is growing there. We never drink the water coming from our FW tank, too much possibility of contamination from the tank, system, hoses, or the rv park water system.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Yes, our drinking / cooking water is "jugged" along ... FW tank is just for washing hands/body with soap and rinsing the head after use.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We carry a minimal amount of water when traveling. Enough for Patty to be able to use the toilet at rest or food stops. If are staying at a campground without water hookups at the site, I'll generally fill at a common spigot there unless we know that the water is skanky or has sediment.

I don't believe in carrying any more weight than necessary. A full freshwater tank on my Classic is near 500 lbs.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #16
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We travel with some water in the tank. Sometimes full, sometimes less then full. If we are leaving in winter we refrain from charging the system until far enough south to avoid freezing. ( Don't ask ). Nice to have some water on board just in case. After our final night along the road I try to a very good clean \drain of the grey and black tanks. Upon returning home I always drain the fresh water tank. I don't want to leave water in the tank between trips. I do a periodic disinfecting of the fresh tank with bleach and I do drink the water except for the places where it has the "off taste". We usually carry a couple of gallons of bottled water for those times to drink and make ice. We've never had a problem with drinking the onboard water other than the occasions where it had an off taste. I usually taste the water if I can before I use it to fill the tank but sometimes you use what you have access to.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Water tank level

The difference in fuel mileage is extremely small, even going cross country between a full and empty water tank.

When the tank is "FULL" your carrying a little extra insurance should you be out in the boonies and the tow vehicle decides to bust a radiator hose. Guess wher you can quickly get some water.

And then, the full tank also lowers the center of gravity so that the trailer tracks a little better.

And when mother nature calls, guess where you can find a quick potty?

And finally, should you decide that you have had enough for the day, spending time at a rest area is always nicer, when you have your own water, for cooking, showering, and just living.

Carrying full water is "NEVER" a liability, but the lack of it can become rather serious.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
After "dumping", I add 4 toilet bowels of water and 1 packet of chemical. That way the toilet is always ready. The fresh, I have the separate filter for drinking. If I know that I will not be using the trailer for awhile, I drain it on the way home and refill just before the next trip. The Gray tank I add the cleaner 2-3 times a season. Soooo far no problems. This method was suggested by service department.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
After "dumping", I add 4 toilet bowels of water and 1 packet of chemical. That way the toilet is always ready. The fresh, I have the separate filter for drinking. If I know that I will not be using the trailer for awhile, I drain it on the way home and refill just before the next trip. The Gray tank I add the cleaner 2-3 times a season. Soooo far no problems. This method was suggested by service department.
I've always like to know that my first tank of water is from my Culligan water softener.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We always travel with the fresh water tank full -- You never know when you'll find a great boondocking spot!

Also, water makes a big difference if you break down in the desert. Even when we aren't towing, we carry extra water in a seven-gallon portable tank in the bed of our pickup.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote