Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #81
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Carol, without me you would figure it out yourself. "Winter" is a wonderful season which is some parts of Colorado lasts from 9 to 11.9 months, but not quite so many months where we are living right now. We've only had about 70" of snow the last two winters, about half what we had when we lived in the mountains west of Denver. The other 2 seasons are fall—it can last a couple of months with pleasantly warm days and cool to cold nights. The aspen trees turn to gold and we have our own leaf peepers. Then there is summer which can have high temps of as much as 103˚, though usually not for quite so long as in the mysterious Oak View. Spring is a transitional season that may come and go, sometimes an entire day seems spring like, but followed by a foot of beautiful snow and then a few days later it'll be 80˚, then maybe snow. High temps depend how high you are (that can mean two different things in Colorado and one of them is not how tall you are, but as the Jefferson Airplane [Californians all I think] said "one pill makes you small" and I don't remember the rest), but I mean altitude—and if in Leadville, 75˚ would be summer day. Strangely, because of the intense high altitude sun, the Airstream can get quite hot inside even at 80˚. I hope this digression helps you understand what "winter" and "seasons" are—keeps us on our toes and young (at heart anyway).

I'd suggest you tow the trailer here, daringly drinking your potable water, to sample our seasons, all of which can happen on the same day in the mountains, stay the winter and experience thundersnow, and learn about snow tires, snow brushes, gloves, hats and such, but I'm afraid you'd blow out another transmission, so enjoy your water (much of which comes from Colorado—we pee in it before we sent it downstream).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
We use bottled water, but only because I'm too lazy to treat the tank. We live in a rural area with a small 13 member water system. We still must follow state mandated treatment and sanitary rules, that I am familiar with. We treat our water from the well with chlorine bleach (minimum .02 PPM) and it is drinkable. But...chlorine evaporates and is absorbed by other elements, so, you must keep the concentration up to kill all the bacteria. I should periodically, drain the tank, refill, treat with chlorine, etc. to make it safe in the trailer. Refilling gallon bottles at Walmart for a quarter a gallon is cheaper and easier.
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote