Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Rockmart , Georgia
Connected to city water...NO WATER!

I just bought a 1986 Sovereign 31 footer and took her to a campground a week later. Everything went fairly well except for the city water hookup. After connecting, I went inside and turned on the faucets, but no water. I had no trouble with the fresh water tank/water pump method. I figure there must be some type of cut off valve that I can't find, OR there is a blockage somewhere in the line. I'm hoping there is a simple explanation/cure. Whatever the problem is, it does not affect the fresh water tank supply from operating as expected.
If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate any and all advise, and I look forward to being a member here!
Sovereign86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Water Regulator? There is a pressure regulator that has given others problems simular to what you have. Is it stuck or clogged? Do you have a valve at the intake inside the trailer that is shut off on the feed line?
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Rockmart , Georgia
The regulator may be the culprit...a campground neighbor mentioned that as a possibility. I may try to disconnect and look at it, or just get a new one. I have been unable to find any type of shutoff valve...the pipe goes from the back bumper area to the streetside closet (under closet floor). After that point, I think any shut off valve would also shut off the fresh water supply, which works perfectly. I thought I had found the magic valve, but it turned out to be a drain valve for the fresh water tank!
Thanks for the quick reply...Tom.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
There is also a one way valve which prevents the water from inside the unit from being pushed backward thru the pipe to the outside city water connection. This valve could be stuck but it is more likely the regulator. My 77 has one in the rear compartment but it would be located inside close to where the city water comes in. It is brass and has a drain in the bottom of it. Frequently develops a freeze crack if it has not been properly drained during the winterizing process.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Rockmart , Georgia
Regarding the water pressure regulator, the previous owner left one in a drawer...the kind that screws on outside where the city water hooks up. If I use one there, can I just take out the "in-line" regulator and not replace it?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign86
Regarding the water pressure regulator, the previous owner left one in a drawer...the kind that screws on outside where the city water hooks up. If I use one there, can I just take out the "in-line" regulator and not replace it?
Those hose thread regulators should go on the hose bib BEFORE you attach the hose, as RV water hoses are not constructed to accept the high (100PSI+) pressures from a city outlet....... And yes, you can bypass the internal regulator if you use one set for 40-45 PSI. You also might have a check valve that is not opening and preventing the city water from entering the trailer. Look at the regulator....it might be attached to it on either side. It should be replaced if not functioning.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign86
I just bought a 1986 Sovereign 31 footer and took her to a campground a week later. Everything went fairly well except for the city water hookup. After connecting, I went inside and turned on the faucets, but no water. I had no trouble with the fresh water tank/water pump method. I figure there must be some type of cut off valve that I can't find, OR there is a blockage somewhere in the line. I'm hoping there is a simple explanation/cure. Whatever the problem is, it does not affect the fresh water tank supply from operating as expected.
If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate any and all advise, and I look forward to being a member here!
Sovereign86,
I have a 25' 1986 Sovereign and I ran into this problem the beginning of spring. It turnout out to be the lower hose going into the water heater. It seemed that sediment from the bottom of the water heater ran backwards and settled in the bypass line. There was at least 4" of thick sediment in the hose. I had to remove the steel braided line and run a coat hanger down the center to ream it out. I usually flush the water heater out several times per year but this must have building up like plaque in arteries. I also check all screens in my faucets to clean them out once per year. Hope you have found your problem by now but this is what I experienced.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Rockmart , Georgia
Thanks for the info Lewster and Davidz71.....I'll check out those possibilities.