Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
commercial sanitizers vs bleach

There are a number of formulas using small amounts of bleach to clean and sanitize the fresh water tanks in our Airstreams. There are also commercial cleaners such as
TastePURE Spring Fresh, made by camco

Our airstream is new to us but slightly used (a 2015 Classic) and I'm not sure how much the dealer cleaned, so any one have a take on what the like best?

I would like to give the fresh water tank a good cleaning.

I have gotten some opinions that the bleach (small amount that there is) is harmful to the rubber seals and the water pump.

Ed
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:55 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My owners manual calls for bleach. The amount used is so small that I can't see it harming anything.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordionman View Post
There are a number of formulas using small amounts of bleach to clean and sanitize the fresh water tanks in our Airstreams. There are also commercial cleaners such as
TastePURE Spring Fresh, made by camco

Our airstream is new to us but slightly used (a 2015 Classic) and I'm not sure how much the dealer cleaned, so any one have a take on what the like best?

I would like to give the fresh water tank a good cleaning.

I have gotten some opinions that the bleach (small amount that there is) is harmful to the rubber seals and the water pump.

Ed
I am no expert but have gone through the tank sanitizing process using bleach just recently. It is my understanding that the commercial sanitizer as mentioned in your post are basically bleach. The same thing but with a prettier name and an increased price.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Bleach. Been using it for 33 years in 3 different trailers. The only advantage of the other products it that they are more profitable.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am a fan of the bleach, and 10 years using it to sanitize the Interstate has not caused any problems.

I buy the tablets, which you can just drop in the tank.

Maggie

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:49 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
commercial vs bleach

Thanks for the input. I expected the bleach would be just fine.
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:50 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordionman View Post
No worries about rubber seals and water pump. You use more bleach, more often, to do laundry than you use to sanitize your fresh tank, and the rubber seals in your washing machine are fine. Right? Ditto for swimming pool pumps. Chlorine doesn't tear them up, does it? Why should RV pumps and seals be any more susceptible to chlorine than those?

There is nothing at all wrong with using bleach for sanitizing the fresh water tank. There is nothing wrong with using bleach to disinfect the water if you have to fill from a source (private well) that you don't trust, either. The Environmental Protection Agency, Centers for Disease Control, World Health Organization, and National Institute of Health all agree that Clorox brand bleach (unscented, not concentrated) is perfectly acceptable for these purposes. They recommend Clorox brand versus any other because the quality control on Clorox is such that the concentration of chlorine in the bleach is exactly the same from one bottle to the next— which is not always true of competing brands.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #8
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Bleach
Old 09-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
No worries about rubber seals and water pump. You use more bleach, more often, to do laundry than you use to sanitize your fresh tank, and the rubber seals in your washing machine are fine. Right? Ditto for swimming pool pumps. Chlorine doesn't tear them up, does it? Why should RV pumps and seals be any more susceptible to chlorine than those?

There is nothing at all wrong with using bleach for sanitizing the fresh water tank. There is nothing wrong with using bleach to disinfect the water if you have to fill from a source (private well) that you don't trust, either. The Environmental Protection Agency, Centers for Disease Control, World Health Organization, and National Institute of Health all agree that Clorox brand bleach (unscented, not concentrated) is perfectly acceptable for these purposes. They recommend Clorox brand versus any other because the quality control on Clorox is such that the concentration of chlorine in the bleach is exactly the same from one bottle to the next— which is not always true of competing brands.
Why not the Clorox double strength X .5 dosage?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Why not the Clorox double strength X .5 dosage?
You could.

But the owner's manual directions for sanitizing your fresh water system, and the EPA/WHO/NIH/CDC directions for treatment of water all assume that you're not using concentrated Clorox. It would be up to you to make sure you're using the correct amount of concentrate.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Bleach is what they use to Treat our city drinking water!
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:54 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
Although I have always used chlorine bleach to successfully sanitize my fresh water tank, just know that it has a shelf life of about one year. The storage temperature is a big factor also.
glenrms is offline   Reply With Quote