Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2006, 12:22 PM   #1
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Question Cleaning crud from fresh water tank

[Note: there's a question at the end of this long monolog. Its about the inline filter inside the fresh water tank. If you know about these, your advice would be welcome]

We bought a '99 Excella 30' a few weeks ago. The previous owners had left it unused for 3 years due to a sudden illness. I suspect that because of the illness the trailer wasn't properly prepared for an extended period of idleness.

I followed the instructions in the manual and on this forum to sanitize the fresh water system. However, I found that when using the fresh water pump, the pump filter would clog pretty quickly with a slimey greenish tan goo.

I tried to drain the fresh water tank through the spigot, but it would repeatedly clog with the same crud. Although I could clear it with back-pressure, I realized I wasn't going to solve my problem through this tiny opening in a 50-gallon tank!

What I really wanted to do was find a way to power-wash the inside of the tank.

Here's what I did: I removed the bottom plate and opened the tank via the allen plug. This is the only way to get large clumps of crud out of the tank. After the tank finished draining, I pushed my clean fresh-water hose with a brass spray nozzle on it through this 1" opening. The spray nozzle was set for wide-spray. I pushed it all the way to the other side of the tank (I think... I could hear it rattling around back there) and turned the water on FULL BLAST.

I then slowly pushed/pulled the hose back and forth, trying to move the spray nozzle all around the tank.

LOTS of dark green crud came out.

After about 10 minutes of this (by now I'm also pretty wet!) I put the allen plug back in, poured over 1 gallon of chlorine in the tank and refilled it.

I'm currently letting it sit for a few hours. I plan to drain it again through the big allen plug, and power wash it a couple of more times.

Any comments or further suggestions?

Here's my question: the uptake line for the water pump has a 3" long tubular plastic filter inside the fresh water tank... presumably attached to the fitting. This filter is located such that it extends across the opening of the allen plug. It snapped off when I pushed the hose into the tank. Do I need this filter? Its not as fine as the mesh screen at the Shurflo pump. Is it redundant? It looks really hard to replace.
Tin Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmorle
[Note: there's a question ...... Its about the inline filter inside the fresh water tank.......

Here's my question: the uptake line for the water pump has a 3" long tubular plastic filter inside the fresh water tank... presumably attached to the fitting. This filter is located such that it extends across the opening of the allen plug. It snapped off when I pushed the hose into the tank. Do I need this filter?
greetings, heres my answer and its from a monetary standpoint.....yes, its needed, or they wouldnt have put it in.....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Finding Nemo swimming in your water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmorle
[Here's my question: the uptake line for the water pump has a 3" long tubular plastic filter inside the fresh water tank... presumably attached to the fitting. This filter is located such that it extends across the opening of the allen plug. It snapped off when I pushed the hose into the tank. Do I need this filter? Its not as fine as the mesh screen at the Shurflo pump. Is it redundant? It looks really hard to replace.
It sounds like the filter is to protect the tubing between the tank and the water pump to keep tadpoles/clownfish from plugging it up. I suspect that with it unreachable rattling about inside the tank, you are stuck with going to the Airstream dealer to get a replacement filter.

You are on the right track with the bleach. At high concentrations, it kills all the nasty creepy crawlies. Be sure to completely fill the tank with solution so it can reach the sneaky ones attached to the top.
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:44 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Question Green crud is.....

That green crud sounds like RV antifreeeze thats been left in to long. I have heard that if its left in the system to long it will coagulate and leave that gooy residue. Maybe there is something that will disolve it. How about high temp hot water?
Old 01-23-2006, 07:52 AM   #5
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
and the results are in...

I like the antifreeze possibility. Doesn't seem so gross!

In the end, I seem to have solved the problem of the crud. After the last drain and flush, I was able to inspect part of the inside of the tank using a mirror and flashlight. It all seems crystal clear and clean. The pump doesn't clog at all, and in fact pumps really well.

I think I'll wait and see about the in-line filter inside the tank. Its straining ability seems to be less than the screen filter at the pump, so I think its primary purpose is to keep larger debris out.

I'll wait until my knuckles heal before I take it on!
Tin Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
First, I tell these stories to every prospective buyer who thinks they are getting as gem when they hear it has sat unused for several years. Trailers and RVs are meat to be used not to sit. I had one that sat and learned my lesson too. Second can you put that filter directly on the outside?
Old 01-23-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I just looked in our owners manual and the diagram for ours was written in 1999, your year. In one diagram it shows an "optional" tank filter. It's something we didn't know we had until I read your story. So, if it's optional it must not be a "MUST HAVE". Jan
Janssvt is offline   Reply With Quote