Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Merrimakc , New Hampshire
city water won't flow..help!

I just got a 72 tradewind and during the whole checking out process I can't manage to get my water to run from the city water source...at all...bone dry.

The water pump is off and the hose is flowing freely and hooked into our water inlet in the back near the bumper. Does anyone know what else could be stopping the free flow of my h20?

Sleeping in it tonight for the first time. Shake and bake!!!
AirSpleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There is a water pressure regulator/check valve in the streetside rear corner of your coach. They tend to stick shut. If you look, this should look like a pressure regulator on a set of welder's torches, without the handle.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:36 PM   #3

getting water regulator open

try taking a ratchet and adjusting the water regulator open, the adjustment is on the top
Andrea Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #4
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
an idea..

under your sink...just infront of left of the furnace...reach down and turn the right most spin handle...if this is not the right one and if you have a schem. check which one of the 3 lines runs to water heater...

just an idea

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:36 PM   #5
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
I had this problem the first of camp this year, a month ago...
I had nothin' in the bathroom, just some drops from the shower head.
So my first intervention was to, turn off the water, remove the cartridge of one taps, turn back on the water, and everything was perfect.
So I put the cartridge back on, and tried again, and again no water.
I stayed about 15 min to try to understand why...
Then I removed the stuff at the end of the taps, you know the stuff that you unscrew to remove, with the grid (english is not my natural language, and I don't know how to name that part) anyway, it was full of deposit, and the water couldn't pass thru... sounds stupid and it is, but I cleaned up all the faucet and everything was back.
So let's try that...
david

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
A similar problem was solved on this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ighlight=water

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:01 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Merrimakc , New Hampshire
Thanks for the responses everyone.

We ran some tests on it and water was pouring into the hallway. We just recently purchases our 72 tradewind from a man from Austin who had it stored in Massachusetts. Now I'm pretty sure he was unaware of winterproofing because he left water in the water heater over the winter causing it to burst and overflow water into the heater casing and eventually backing up into my hallway. It was like the Poseidon Adventure for a few minutes there.

But the good news is that I get a newer hotter water heater. Has heater technology changed much from 72 when our original heater was installed? I seem to only see two makers of RV waterheaters to choose from. Once that is done I can move on to the busted furnace and water pump.

-->Bill
AirSpleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:07 PM   #8
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Bill,

I've been there, done that. My Argosy was flood central the first time I applied water pressure, and it was a hole in the bottom of the water heater tank that caused it. Fortunately, most of it spilled overboard or leaked into the belly.

Hotter? I doubt it. The core theory and operation is still the same - put a curved tube inside a tank and shoot a flame through it.

What has improved is the saftey aspect (auto-shut off/auto relight) and convenience aspect (switched on/off from inside cabin and no standing pilot.) Yea!

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There is something to be said for the standing pilot. Under normal conditions, it is all that is needed to keep the water hot after it is heated, unless you are using the water.
My personal ideal water heater would be a 10 gallon LP unit with DSI (auto igniter) and a 120 volt heating element.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:39 PM   #10
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Well, I looked at the power requirements for the electric water heating element. I decided that if I can't run the air conditioner and the microwave at the same time, I certainly didn't want the drag of the water heater's element, too.

Ah, that reminds me... I'm sitting in Betsy in a pasture using a wireless card. For the first time, she's plugged into her new home base - a pole (and meter) of her very own. Hmm... I might get away with the A/C and the microwave now.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote