Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Toronto’s Basement , Ontario-Canada
City Water Relocation (Frankenstream)

Last summer I realized (after it was ripped off during a trip home) that the city water hookup on my 77 Sovereign was not original. Looks like a like broke and rather drop belly pans they ran copper from curbside to just under sink..so the city water hook up was just hanging out there waiting for some tractor rubber to yank it off.

Anyhoo I'm going to carry on the tradition the PO started and re-route the city water connection. What I want to do is instal a Shurflo connection beside the water filling port and tap that into the existing water lines. So yes cut hole in AS to move connection to street side.

Below are the pics to what I'm working with. The exterior shot shows the sharkbite plug I installed when the connections were ripped. I may sweat in a valve to empty system fall. That line runs up into trailer and into original pressure regulator under stove (where all that spray foam is). You can also see in the third pic there is a tee connection with a plug in it coming from that line...I'm thinking of pex connecting the SHurflo inlet into this as the path of least resistance. Do any of the plumbing trail blazers out there think this is a) Advisable and b) going to work?

I'm looking for any guidance or input that is available (newbie here)...alas this AS is going to last until I can afford that Tommy Bahama edition (seriously how gorgeous is that thing!).

Thanks all in advance
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000188.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	286455   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000186.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	286456  

Name:	P1000184.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	286457   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000187.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	286458  

Old 05-29-2017, 06:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
He from Colorado. You are right, the PO fresh water connection was in a really bad spot. Funny, my son's 69 Globetrotter factory fresh water connection was mounted on the frame rail between the bumper and body. Also in a bad spot. At least it was street side.

Here is the fresh water inlet I used, but there are others. It had the check valve and regulator (not adjustable) built in:

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...-p/vts-621.htm

The painful part is drilling about an 1 1/2" hole in your trailer with a hole saw. Trust me, you will get over it. And then plumb it as needed. I have replumbed my trailer from copper to PEX. PEX is ideal for campers in my view.

Yep, your plan will work. You are wise to relocate to the street side as that is where the utility posts are in most RV parks.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1406 Electrical New Twist Lock Plug.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	286484  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Yes it will work. I moved mine from the rear bumper to near the FW tank fill.
A couple suggestions.

Use hole saws to cut the holes. The instructions tell the size. Cut that in some scrap to check the fit.

Trace the shape of the fill on paper or cardboard, cut it out and tape it to the side of the trailer to visualize where you want in.

Measure inside and outside to be sure there aren't any visible obstructions.

Drill a small 1/8" pilot hole to probe inside the wall for wires or things like the ac drain tube before cutting.

Drill slowly not the drill speed but light pressure and try to keep the pressure even to keep drill from jumping.

Use 12" of flexible hose before you attach the inlet to PEX, the stress vibrations caused by the PEX can cause the inlet to fail wherevthe inner and outer halfs meet causing leaks, common. Also it's on the instructions for a reason. PEX is flexible but it's not flexible.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:20 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Thanks much...that is exactly the Shurflo valve I purchased. I probably attempt the hole drilling this weekend...I think my wife is more worried than I am.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:24 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Thank you for the advice. TBH I was questioning the importance of the instructions suggesting to use flexible hose, but now reading your advice I'll definitely heed it.