Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2002, 11:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
city water inlet valve failure?

I've just developed a problem that sounds like some sort of back flow valve has failed on the city water inlet. When I disconnect the hose, much water flows out of the inlet, and when not hooked to city water, the onboard pump just causes water to gush out of the city water inlet. I've looked around a bit in the rear compartment for some sort of valve that maybe I can fix, but I don't see it. Any ideas if these are repairable or available...at least what it looks like and where it may be on my '77 31 ft. rear bath Sovereign?
Thanks for any help...in the meantime, I've just screwed a garden hose inline shutoff valve into the inlet connection....cheesy, but effective!
JohnGalt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 12:26 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I had the very same problem. My one way valve was in side the water stub that is mounted to the rear frame section.
I took off the old one and simply replaced the hose connection. The new one has a Nylon cone inside that prevents water from flowing out of it. The old one had a heavy screw on lid with gasket, and no backflow valve.
Get a new one - it's cheap. I think I got mine from WalMart. They have a small supply of trailer stuff in the camping department. Camping world have them as well.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
If you can't find a check valve, go to the garden shop of Walmart or other store and look for a male hose plug. The ones I use with my garden irrigation system are plastic and were purchased from Submatic Irrigation in TX. I have seen them in other areas also. It is just a male hose thread with a domed head and tab extending out the side with a smaller hole to run string or monofiliment line through to keep from losing it.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote