Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
City water inlet strainer?

My city water inlet for the hose connection (black reverse thread) on my '16 Classic has one if those small domed strainers on it. The crappy part is that even though it is downstream of my water filter, it is all gunked up.

How does one clean this strainer? I don't see any way of removing it. Unless I remove the 4 screws for the city water inlet and pull the whole connection out? I don't know how the connection is hooked up to the trailer behind the inlet. Is there any way to push water OUT of the city water connection to help get rid of the gunk?

Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It is one of those strainers made into the hose washer? That should come out with a small screw driver prying it out.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
The little black rubber surround pops out but the metal-strainer seems to be permanently affixed to the housing. What I decided to do is use a bunch of q-tips to clean the surface of the strainer. Got almost all the crud off, but some I'd imagine made its way through the strainer.

Bit disconcerting how it got that dirty post water filter... Granted I have two more water filters inside before it gets to drinking stage, but I don't want crap getting into my fresh water tank either!
Old 02-18-2017, 09:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Be sure to use an inline filter in the supply hose before it gets to the trailer connection.

That screen is molded to the rubber gasket, you can remove it with a needle nose pliers wrapped in tape at the tips so as not to damage it, and pull it out gently. It's not a common hardware store item, the gasket is shaped different than the typical flat rubber.

I don't know if a common gasket/screen would work, I bought a few extra of the gaskets for this assembly at Jackson Center. They may be available at an RV dealer.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
That crap can build up, along with sand in campground water supplies. Always flush the spigot wide open for awhile before hooking up to your Airstream. Also crap can grow in your own supply hose if it's sitting around in the sun or in storage wet. Flush it out regularly. I usually buy the cheap ones and toss it after six months steady use.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Bit disconcerting how it got that dirty post water filter... Granted I have two more water filters inside before it gets to drinking stage, but I don't want crap getting into my fresh water tank either!
Do you use the approved for potable water hose? It should be the white, translucent type with the nylon reinforcements you can see embedded in the hose.

How old is the hose? I use an inline filter and I was checking the inside of the hose before hooking up to the trailer. It looked pretty nasty inside, some kind of slime was on the inside. I tossed it and bought a new one.

I've been told that closed water systems are safe because there is no air inside the lines. Air allows mold to form. When you detach your hoses from the city water, you drain and store them. They're still wet inside and now they have air in them, so mold can form.

I decided to store mine with some bleach inside but when we came back I forgot to do this. I'm thinking it might be easier to just replace the hose each year.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
Blow the hose out with the filter installed before connecting to water inlet. You will see the crud flowing out. However first blow out the spigot before installing filter and hose. Rust & crud build up in the water lines
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
It is one of those strainers made into the hose washer? That should come out with a small screw driver prying it out.

Perry
-OR A SMALL SPRING HOOK.

-ALL OF THE ABOVE, PLUS USE ONE OF THOSE CAMCO BLUE WATER FILTERS.. BLOW IT OUT BEFORE USE, TOO.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Grab it with pliers, screwdriver, pick or whatever...pluck it out....and THROW IT IN THE TRASH!
Then buy a pkg of 3 of them (Camco brand) at WalMart and install a NEW ONE.
It replaces the round, rubber gasket which seals the male hose to the city water filler inlet. $2 for three.

Install one on your black tank flush also, to prevent city-trash from clogging your black tank spray-head.
Attached Images

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Be sure to use an inline filter in the supply hose before it gets to the trailer connection.

That screen is molded to the rubber gasket, you can remove it with a needle nose pliers wrapped in tape at the tips so as not to damage it, and pull it out gently. It's not a common hardware store item, the gasket is shaped different than the typical flat rubber.

I don't know if a common gasket/screen would work, I bought a few extra of the gaskets for this assembly at Jackson Center. They may be available at an RV dealer.
It's not the common strainer connected to the flat rubber washer. The rubber washer on mine is quite deep, almost like a small section of hose. The metal strainer is definitely connected to the housing. I should have took a picture. It is kinda hard to describe. You can see how deep the black center rubber peice (about 3/4" in depth) in this photo:

You can remove that 3/4" deep rubber grommet but the metal strainer behind it is solidly attached to the water pressure regulator housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Do you use the approved for potable water hose? It should be the white, translucent type with the nylon reinforcements you can see embedded in the hose.

How old is the hose? I use an inline filter and I was checking the inside of the hose before hooking up to the trailer. It looked pretty nasty inside, some kind of slime was on the inside. I tossed it and bought a new one.

I've been told that closed water systems are safe because there is no air inside the lines. Air allows mold to form. When you detach your hoses from the city water, you drain and store them. They're still wet inside and now they have air in them, so mold can form.

I decided to store mine with some bleach inside but when we came back I forgot to do this. I'm thinking it might be easier to just replace the hose each year.
Yes, I use a potable water hose. It's pretty new too. I think I will have to be more diligent though flushing out every component before hookup.