Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
City water connection issue

Today was a rainy day. Not much to do, and having developed a squeak by the back sink cabinet, today seemed like a good day to investigate the squeak issue. So I removed my cabinet doors (4 screws) to access the removable panel on the bottom of the counter assembly to gain access to the fasteners that hold the counter, etc.

Well, I solved the squeak, but it's what I found next that simply amazed me. There were traces of light coming in from the outside beaming back at me on the inside! It looked like it was coming from the city water connection area. After looking at it more closely, I found that the strap that connects the transit plug has no sealing whatsoever around it, and under the right conditions water could get into the trailer. It's the only viable source where the water I found could have entered. There are only 3 place on that side and in that area that have exterior protrusions. Black tank flush, no leak found, no insulation wet. External power connector, no water found inside on floor near opening and insulation in area was dry and of course the city water connection, which the insulation was wet right at the strap and continued down to the floor, but not anywhere above the strap level.

Now when I say the right conditions, I'm talking rain hitting it directly. Today, the rain was hitting the street side of the RV as the wind was pushing it. Of course if you wash the area and spray any water toward it, I could see water getting in there that way as well.

Here are some pictures of the area in question. One is dark, but you might see the spot where light was coming, one is of the inside of the area in question, and one is of the outside.

I would strongly suggest you check your strap, and if you can't seal it from the inside, seal it somehow from the outside. I am uncertain the hole you see on the outside picture is allowing any water in, and perhaps someone may comment on that hole's purpose, but it seems in my case, I found the perfect storm that did the trick. Keep in mind it wasn't enough to puddle up on the floor, but the insulation in the area was soaked after roughly 5-6 hours of rain, most of which hit the street side directly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	158231   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	158232  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	158233  
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
Gary

1974 31' Sovereign
Snow Camp , North Carolina
Talking Leaky water inlet

Looks like you could turn the whole inlet 180 degrees and put the strap on top to help avoid water intrusion.
NCPIEDRN is offline   Reply With Quote