Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Willmar , Minnesota
Chemical smell in the water

We are experiencing an extremely strong chemical smell when we run water through our system. It literally takes your breath away. We thought maybe it was because we left water sitting in the tank between camping trips, so we've tried running bleach through and that has not helped. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do? Any products out there that would help?
coopandmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Could it be from antifreeze put in the system for winterizing?. I found that odor lasted a long time, even after flushing everything well.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
With the bleach solution - did you let it sit in the lines for an hour or so or did you just run it through? I'd let it sit for a while to work on the odor.
I've also heard of people using a baking soda solution the same way.
Could it be the water itself? Did you fill from a well with that sulfur smell?
Your water isn't BLUE, is it?
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Willmar , Minnesota
Quote:
With the bleach solution - did you let it sit in the lines for an hour or so or did you just run it through? I'd let it sit for a while to work on the odor.
I've also heard of people using a baking soda solution the same way.
Could it be the water itself? Did you fill from a well with that sulfur smell?
Your water isn't BLUE, is it?
We did let the bleach sit in the lines for a few hours and then also ran some baking soda through. It could be the water as it come from our well and that water doesn't smell the greatest either. The well water smell is far different though from what we are smelling in the camper. This is almost like an ammonia-like smell where it burns your eyes and lungs when you're in the camper.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Just curious, have you tried a city water hookup vs. a holding tank supply? That would help somewhat in the source. Secondly did you flush the hot water tank? Do you have any water filtering unit in the trailer? Does the smell come from all water outlets? Finally going back to the fresh water tank, how much does it hold, how much bleach did you add and how long did you leave it sit?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
White Hose?

Are you using a white hose, or have you made the mistake of using a garden hose to supply water to the trailer. You wouldn't believe how bad water can taste and smell after it's baked in a hot garden hose for a day.... though as a kid, we'd drink out of them all day long without dying.

Paula Ford
Old 06-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Yikes!
I was backpacking once in New Mexico and the one water source had methane gas in it.
We'd fill our Nalgene bottles, cover them and shake them up and we could light the vapors that escaped on fire!
If your well has anything similar, the water tank could be concentrating the gases and producing the noxiuos smell.
Is it possible that something other than water got into your fresh water tank?
Could you have been the victim of vandalism?
The only suggestion I can make is to fill that fresh water tank to the top and drain it (either with the low point drain valve or bu pumping it through the plumbing several times). And use city water if at all possible.

Keep us posted and we'll keep thinking of ideas for you.
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
"Sweet Water"

I used to buy a produce called "Sweet Water" at Marine supply stores. I used it on occasion in the 120 gal fresh water tank on the houseboat we had for 27 years. The water at the dock was very good, but over time, the water in the tank would not taste quite so good.

If you are sure that you are using the proper hose etc., and that your water supply is good, you might want to flush your system out and try some. Can't hurt.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Can you get the people that you use to test your well to take a look at the water after the AS has stored it?
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Willmar , Minnesota
Quote:
Just curious, have you tried a city water hookup vs. a holding tank supply? That would help somewhat in the source. Secondly did you flush the hot water tank? Do you have any water filtering unit in the trailer? Does the smell come from all water outlets? Finally going back to the fresh water tank, how much does it hold, how much bleach did you add and how long did you leave it sit?
jcanavera,
We have not flushed the hot water tank. And I'm sorry to say that I don't know how... We don't have any water filtration system, this is a definite fixer-uper and we haven't been able to get that far yet. The water does come from all of the water outlets, though the shower is the worst. We added 1/2 cup bleach to our water tank and let it sit for a few hours.

Quote:
I was backpacking once in New Mexico and the one water source had methane gas in it.
We'd fill our Nalgene bottles, cover them and shake them up and we could light the vapors that escaped on fire!
If your well has anything similar, the water tank could be concentrating the gases and producing the noxiuos smell.
Is it possible that something other than water got into your fresh water tank?
Could you have been the victim of vandalism?
The only suggestion I can make is to fill that fresh water tank to the top and drain it (either with the low point drain valve or bu pumping it through the plumbing several times). And use city water if at all possible.
Steve and Susan,
My husband was wondering the same thing about the methane...scary! I don't think anything got into the system and there wouldn't be a very high possibilty that someone did something to the camper. Keep us in mind with any suggestions - especially ways to combat methane gas!

Foiled Again,
We have been using a garden hose, so I guess we'll get a white hose and try it with that.

We are absolute newbies when it comes to our Airstream. It wasn't well treated in the past and it needs A LOT of work so every time we turn around, it's something else that's broken/leaking/just plain doesn't work. We do appreciate the help!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Before you get crazy with other stuff.

Get yourself a good white RV water supply hose. Drain you water heater. Most have a drain on them. Drain the rest of the system as you would for winter. Hook up and run your cold water and hot water hot water (don't bother to light your water heater) to completely flush the system.

Your problem may be solved. If not, search elsewhere.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
ps: to add to Jim's comment: don't use the new white hose for any part of the draining of old water, only to add new...
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #13

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopandmar View Post
jcanavera,
We have not flushed the hot water tank. And I'm sorry to say that I don't know how... We don't have any water filtration system, this is a definite fixer-uper and we haven't been able to get that far yet. The water does come from all of the water outlets, though the shower is the worst. We added 1/2 cup bleach to our water tank and let it sit for a few hours.

There should be a drain plug on the hot water tank that you can unscrew. Since you haven't done that at all, you need to probably do this regardless of the other issues. Buy yourself a "Tank Saver" wand at Camping World. This will allow you to flush out all the crud in the tank.

You haven't clarified whether you have tried to connect directly to city water vs. you are pumping water from the fresh water holding tank.

If you added a half cup of bleach, then you had enough bleach to sanitize a 30 gallon water tank, assuming you let it sit 4 hours. Any more water or shorter sitting time means you aren't sanitized yet. Be sure you find out the capacity of your fresh water tank. Use plain bleach. Don't use the newer scented versions.

If you are using city water and an old garden hose, then as others told you, replace it. Old hoses, garden or RV can taint the taste and smell of the water.

Also remember if you do sanitize the tank, allow the pump to pump some water through each water outlet. That allows the super chlorinated water to enter the water line and do its job there also.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
This is almost like an ammonia-like smell where it burns your eyes and lungs when you're in the camper.
could this be coming from an ammonia leak in the refrigerator?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #15
_

. , .
hi coopandmar...

welcome to the forums.

it's a challenge to sort out smells via lcd...

are u posting from INSIDE the trailer?

chlorine is used to sanitize water (reduce bacteria count) that has 'organic matter' in it, most of which doesn't smell.

chlorine isn't an odor treatment, and doesn't 'remove' chemical smells....

in fact adding chlorine will make MOST chemical smells worse and can combine with SOME compounds to make really nasty nasties...

dumping baking soda in the tank is a REALLY bad idea too.

the amount needed to be 'effective' in most rv tanks is 3-5 pounds++, and it takes LOTS of rinsing to remove.

a white or blue 'drinking water hose' is used to limit lead and other nasties in rubber...

and some hoses do leave a faint vinyl or rubber smell in the standing hose water.

you are new to trailering, right?

chasing odors...

-how long have u had this unit?
-how tightly closed has it been?
-is there any moisture INSIDE the unit, under mattresses, in dark corners and so on?
-old food?
-clean fridge?
-dead critters anywhere?
-dirty socks?
-ARE ANY OF THE VENT TUBES BLOCKED?
-is there STUFF (critters, mold, water) in the belly pan insulation?
-and so on, there are lots of potential nasties making fumes inside a trailer....

-tanks,

ALL three tanks may have issues (but your trailer doesn't have a wash water tank right?)

the most common 'chemical smell' inside closed rvs comes from the products used in the black tank...

or the black tank contents.

has clorox, or cleaners or soap or other common household stuff been poured INTO the black tank?

same issues on the gray(wash water) side for folks with gray tanks, and the sink/shower TRAPS too...

water heater....

over time minerals will collect IN the water heater.

it needs to be drained and flushed periodically

some water sources have trace amounts of sulfur, that the user may be 'used to' in running water...

however this sulfur rich water when placed in the water heater tank,

WILL produce VERY NASTY odors after heating/mixing with the mineral excess and tank wall metals...

FLUSH, FLUSH, FLUSH...

assuming there are NO dead things, moldy things, plugged vents or open containers of 'chemical' in the trailer....

don't PUT ANYTHING IN THE LINES OR TANKS but water...

LOTS of WATER.

fill/flush all the tanks several times, it may take 10 fills to really rinse them well...

especially IF there is a pound of soda settled on the bottom, or mineral scale and crud and old algae mounds...

pull the water heater plug and drain/rinse out the crud...

potty...

is the head fastened tightly? does the bowl gasket seal?

again, has all the tank contents been flushed OUT, including 'chemicals' used black tank treatment?

well water...

using well water in an rv can be a problem, because of sulfur or mineral contents...

so most of the above is best done with typical city treated water,

but nitrates (from fertilizer run off) sometimes taint even municipal water and nitrates cause odors too...

ok, all this water talk, i need to take a wee....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Willmar , Minnesota
Quote:
You haven't clarified whether you have tried to connect directly to city water vs. you are pumping water from the fresh water holding tank.

If you added a half cup of bleach, then you had enough bleach to sanitize a 30 gallon water tank, assuming you let it sit 4 hours. Any more water or shorter sitting time means you aren't sanitized yet. Be sure you find out the capacity of your fresh water tank. Use plain bleach. Don't use the newer scented versions.

If you are using city water and an old garden hose, then as others told you, replace it. Old hoses, garden or RV can taint the taste and smell of the water.

Also remember if you do sanitize the tank, allow the pump to pump some water through each water outlet. That allows the super chlorinated water to enter the water line and do its job there also.
Sorry, had to get the information from the "ONE WHO KNOWS". It is a 50 gallon tank and we are pumping water from the fresh water tank. We tend to stay at places that do not offer a water hook up, so getting water from a city supply is difficult. I had someone purchase the Tank Saver today, so we will try that out this evening. Next item on the list will be the white hose. Thank goodness for you all!
Old 06-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Refrigerator and ammonia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
could this be coming from an ammonia leak in the refrigerator?
Just learned today while talking with a electrician/plumber that is upgrading some items in our home... he said older refrigeration systems with ammonia are very unhealthy if leaking. Put a pan of white vinegar near the leak and it will absorb the ammonia and you can work on things (like remove it...) and not have to worry about frying brain cells or something! We haven't tried this, or researched this... so check it out before you take this advice! Anyone out there been here, done this?

Rinse your water system really well ~ especially the hot water tank. We always drain our water out after each trip, then hubby blows out the lines with air pressure...then when filling the system back up we fill it and let it run on the lawn or garden for awhile just to be sure everything is as fresh as we can make it. If you are using well water, you might want to go to the hardware store and invest in a in-line water filter (not too spendy...) and install it in your white hose... it will help your water. We used the sweet water product that was mentioned above. Great product. We used to use it in our sailboat... fresh water was hard to come by at sea and it made water taste great! (actually no taste...)

Hope all goes well. Good post ~ likely to help other folks in the same boat! (er... A/S)

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My new blog: Yreka History
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #18

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Sorry, had to get the information from the "ONE WHO KNOWS". It is a 50 gallon tank and we are pumping water from the fresh water tank. We tend to stay at places that do not offer a water hook up, so getting water from a city supply is difficult. I had someone purchase the Tank Saver today, so we will try that out this evening. Next item on the list will be the white hose. Thank goodness for you all!
Assuming you fill the tank with 50 gallons, the proper amount of bleach to add is around 6.7 ounces. That would need to sit 4 hours to sanitize the tank. Half a cup will only take care of about 30 gallons..

I understand that you can't get city water everywhere, but I do assume you can connect into an outlet from your home water supply and pressurize your system rather than turn on the water pump. Do this with a new hose and run the cold water side of your trailer outlets. See if the smell tends to lessen. If so then you know you are dealing with an onboard water supply problem, either fresh water or water heater.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Water Source?

After reading these posts, something occurs to me. You mentioned your water supply as the source for your tank.

Does your water supply have a sulfur like smell? Probably more noticeable on the hot water side.

You may have sulfur bacteria in your well. These are not pathogens but are an ancient bacteria that reduces sulphur to get energy. ( There are iron bacteria as well!)

You may have infected your AS tank with some sulfur bacteria. If there was a food source for them or if your well has other material such as high nitrates, you could get some growth.

The Chlorine treatment should be addequate. If you pull your tank and observe any dark areas that could be the remnants of a colony. Very hot water will often get most of it out, though it doesn't seem to matter if you do nothing but keep up the regular system disinfections.

It is possible that you may have to disinfect your water supply sytem a bit more than in the past. If you have taken the advice to flush, disinfect then flush some more that system should be reasonably clean. If you added disinfection to your current supply and smell sulfur it may just be from the source tank. Normal disinfection will take care of these minor pests.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I hope your problem isn't similar to this...

This problem reminds me of something that happened to a friend of mine near Sacramento. His domestic water supply comes from an open air aqueduct. I guess that's a fancy word for a ditch.
There was a period of time when the family started to notice a decrease in the quality of water taste. After comparing notes with a neighbor they went for a hike up to the ditch which ran on the hillside above the houses.
Long story short - after removing a dead and decomposing cow from the ditch the problem cleared up.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote