Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
2015 28' International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Can't locate fresh water tank drain valve - 1974 27' Overlander International

The title says it all - can't locate fresh water tank drain valve - 1974 27' Overlander International. I've looked underneath the trailer, under the tank, under the sink, in the service manual which says under the sink, and I can't find a drain valve.

I'm the new owner of this vintage charmer and I would like to disinfect and sanitize the fresh water tank before I take her out!
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Lots of tanks have the drain between thr road-side tires. Kind of hard to find if you don't know it's there. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorhog View Post
The title says it all - can't locate fresh water tank drain valve - 1974 27' Overlander International. I've looked underneath the trailer, under the tank, under the sink, in the service manual which says under the sink, and I can't find a drain valve.

I'm the new owner of this vintage charmer and I would like to disinfect and sanitize the fresh water tank before I take her out!
Underneath the galley cabinet, is a big hole in the floor.

That's where the drain valve for the tank is at, as well as for the hot and cold water lines.

Look underneath the trailer in that area and you will see a hose coming out of the bottom of the underbelly.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Underneath the galley cabinet, is a big hole in the floor.

That's where the drain valve for the tank is at, as well as for the hot and cold water lines.

Look underneath the trailer in that area and you will see a hose coming out of the bottom of the underbelly.

Andy

Andy, I have the same hole in the floor in my 1976 31' Sovereign with a valve. But this only seems to drain the water lines not the fresh water tank. Is the 74 different from the 76 model. The only way I have been able to drain the fresh water tank is to turn on the pump and open a faucet until the tank is empty.

Thanks

Don
Old 02-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Andy, I have the same hole in the floor in my 1976 31' Sovereign with a valve. But this only seems to drain the water lines not the fresh water tank. Is the 74 different from the 76 model. The only way I have been able to drain the fresh water tank is to turn on the pump and open a faucet until the tank is empty.

Thanks

Don
Don.

A 1977 service manual doesn't show a water tank drain valve either.

All that's left then is "ya gotta do what ya gotta do".

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Saint Joseph , Louisiana
My 1974 land yacht 25 footer has the drain valve for the fresh water tank where Andy states above (under the kitchen sink). The you've got to reach down through the large hole in the plywood subfloor to reach the valve handle and open it. It does drain the fresh water tank and the drain tube does extend slightly throught the belly skin. I think all of this is original on my trailer, but not sure.
bhutch74ly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
74 Sovereign Drain Valve

Here is a pic showing the drain valve in our '74 Sovereign. It's where Andy says it is. In our case it's just below the fresh water fill pipe. The PO has installed some PEX but did not plum the FW tank so that is why you see the PEX. Also, there are two copper tube connections after the valve and before the drain pipe exits underneath the AS. I think those were the drains for the sink hot and cold water lines but am not sure. In any case, they are capped off now. Hope this pic helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74 Airstream Fresh Water Drain Valve.jpg
Views:	1291
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	179003  
Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Our '74 Sov has a hole in the floor between the furnace and the sink (which is on the curb side) with three red-handled drain valves in it.

Two are the low-point drains for the hot and cold water, and the third is the FW drain.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Saint Joseph , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRookie View Post
Here is a pic showing the drain valve in our '74 Sovereign. It's where Andy says it is. In our case it's just below the fresh water fill pipe. The PO has installed some PEX but did not plum the FW tank so that is why you see the PEX. Also, there are two copper tube connections after the valve and before the drain pipe exits underneath the AS. I think those were the drains for the sink hot and cold water lines but am not sure. In any case, they are capped off now. Hope this pic helps.
Ditto (same as my 74 drain valve). Good pics. I must learn how to post pictures. Good job!
bhutch74ly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I don't know anything about a 1974, but my 1976 31' does not have a fresh water tank drain valve. It's emptied by running the 12 volt water pump.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #11
I Bought it I Broke it...

1976 31' Sovereign
Migratory , North America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiestreamer View Post
Okiestreamer, is this a photo of underneath your sink? I've got a thread going over here trying to find my own: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ns-118737.html

...and wondering if mine have been removed...
Old 04-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
Yes, the pic is from under our sink. Actually, it's just a little to the left of being directly under the sink.