Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Elgin , Texas
Can’t remove taste/smell

Hello all! I’m in a 2001 Bambi 19 full time for the last 6 weeks. I have flushed and sterilized my fresh water tank with bleach solution several times and run all faucets hot and cold for extended periods. I have filled and flushed at least 6 times. It still smells and tastes like RV anti freeze (I assume being a newbie). It is kind of a sour smell that I seem to be highly sensitive to (see gag reflex). I am not sure what to try at this point. I want to hit the road but with the ability to use my fresh water. Any help would be much appreciated!
Db
4seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
baking soda. Suggest Google appropriate ratio for the volume of the tank. There are a couple of water treatment solutions in the RV department at Wally World.
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Boise , Idaho
Feel for you..

When I purchased my AS used, it had been winterized with antifreeze. It took me a good half-season for the taste to go away. Annoying for sure.

When I went to winterize for myself, I searched long and hard here to learn everything about air-only winterization strategies. I am happy to say that when I de-winterized this year I had no problems due to frozen pipes/fittings and NO TASTE!

-Adm
afk314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
It takes a lot to flush out the hot water tank. Let it fill, drain it through the bottom drain valve, refill and repeat 3 or more times. That may fix most of your problem.

If it has the slightest hint of sulfur, it may also be something other than antifreeze, maybe mold, algae or gunk, you will need to sterilize the tanks and lines.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Bottled water until the taste wears off. Some campground water is high iron or high sulpher.... safe, but tastes like crap.

Check your exterior hose filter(s) and the one under the kitchen sink/in the faucet. You might want to upgrade from camping filters to in-house types too. If the one in the kitchen wasn't removed when the camper was winterized, replace it... you'll never get the antifreeze taste out.

Paula
Old 06-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
It takes a lot to flush out the hot water tank. Let it fill, drain it through the bottom drain valve, refill and repeat 3 or more times. That may fix most of your problem.

If it has the slightest hint of sulfur, it may also be something other than antifreeze, maybe mold, algae or gunk, you will need to sterilize the tanks and lines.
Rotten egg odor is caused by hydrogen sulfide, which is common in well water systems. Sometimes the water won't smell at the source, but the anode in the water heater will react with sulfate in the water supply, reducing it to hydrogen sulfide gas, which smells strongly of rotten eggs or sewage. The best treatment for H2S is to keep a little bit of chlorine in your water at all times. Chlorine oxidizes H2S to elemental sulfur, which has no odor. It doesn't take much. And keeping your tanks chlorinated will prevent bacteria growth and keep your tanks clean, too.

For the OP (and everyone, really), I'd suggest using a drinking water filter like the Zerowater pitcher or the Berkey. There's a lot of things that could be in your water aside from off-tastes or odors. Thoroughly treated drinking water will help with all of it, even the things you didn't know about.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote