Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
2008 16' International
Dunedin , Florida
Can I remove fresh water tank altogether?

I am living in my 16 ft Bambi full time, as I care for my elderly parents. I will be in this configuration for some time. In redesigning the front dinette area, I wonder if I could remove the fresh water tank permanently? I am hooked up to city water and sewer and electricity.

I need the space desperately.
Thanks,
Terra
Terratravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
I would advise against it. Most of the advice I will post next, assumes the trailer will again be used to go camping in, at some point.
If you remove the water tank, you will remove a source of fresh water when on the road, for toilet flushing, hand washing, even radiator refilling, if you end up with a coolant leak.
The water tank in the front also adds to the towing stability, that extra 200 or so pounds of water translates almost 100% to tongue weight, and the trailer will tow much better with that weight there.
If, after taking care of your loved ones, you decide to sell and get a bigger or newer trailer, the lack of a fresh water tank will really hurt the sellability.
You also have water lines going from the tank, plus a water pump somewhere in the trailer between the tank and the rest of the freshwater system, you would have to remove that, and cap off the water line as well as removing the tank.
Maybe, if you have a spot to store it on the property, you can remove the water tank and related gear, and store it for the day you will want to go camping again. Then it would be a matter of reinstalling everything, hooking up, and going.

Tags
redesign, fresh water tank