Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2021, 11:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vista , California
AS repair man near San Diego?

Does anyone happen to know of a good, reliable AS repair man that will do on-site repairs in North County San Diego? My 2012 25í Flying Cloud FB has a substantial water leak dripping from the underside tank cover (tank empties in about a day or so!). Iíve been hooked up to ĎCity Waterí for several months now (live in my Airstream) and it started as a slow leak,Ö now almost a steady stream. I have shut off the water supply, but now have no running water. I got underneath and took a pic (attached) of a hole in the dark gray, plastic that is held by the silver metal straps. Assume that is not supposed to be there?? It is primarily leaking from that hole, but also appears to be leaking by the orange valve handles as well. My trailer is fairly permanently situated right now - hence the inquiry about a repair man that works in the field.

Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance. Running water is a luxury Iíve taken for granted! 😅
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6BBC05D1-A9B6-450F-953D-8F50C6772619.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	398998   Click image for larger version

Name:	90D025E7-E364-4D8C-B9FE-714595EF9FF1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	398999  

Click image for larger version

Name:	5F9157CC-1A87-4AB2-8971-18B3B1740D08.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	399000   Click image for larger version

Name:	8E143FF2-4A65-4DE5-B985-7279BA13FABB.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	399001  

KE-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

In general, that sort of problem is not one you can fix "on site". There is more than a little disassembly required.

On a normal AS trailer, city water should not be getting into the fresh water tank. If it is, that's a separate problem. ( = fresh water feeds the pump. City water feeds the "output" side of the pump).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:23 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vista , California
Thank you so much for the response! I obviously need to educate myself a bit more on the workings of my AS. 👍
Old 07-08-2021, 12:25 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are two basic ways to do water:

1) You hook a hose to a city water supply. The water tank is not involved. Water comes from the hose, goes through the pipes in the trailer and out the faucet.

2) You fill the fresh water tank with a hose and then use the onboard water pump. The hose gets put away and whenever you need water, the pump runs. Once the tank is empty, you get out the hose are refill the tank.

What separates the two systems is a back flow preventer mounted near the water pump. If it fails and you are on city water, the fresh tank fills and (eventually) overflows.

In all cases, what comes out of the trailer pipes heads towards the black and gray tanks. They need attention or they will overflow.

Any break in any pipe *can* result in water running down and out of the trailer. A crack in any of the tanks can do the same thing.

If you are using the fresh water tank and have a leak, that is a problem. It may well be exactly the problem you have. I'm only suggesting that some troubleshooting may be in order before you start ripping the bottom off of the trailer.

Bob
Old 07-08-2021, 05:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Abe Hernandez rvms2u@yahoo.com. But he is probably on his way to Lebanon, TN for the WBCCI International Rally.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE-L View Post
Does anyone happen to know of a good, reliable AS repair man that will do on-site repairs in North County San Diego? My 2012 25’ Flying Cloud FB has a substantial water leak dripping from the underside tank cover (tank empties in about a day or so!). I’ve been hooked up to ‘City Water’ for several months now (live in my Airstream) and it started as a slow leak,… now almost a steady stream. I have shut off the water supply, but now have no running water. I got underneath and took a pic (attached) of a hole in the dark gray, plastic that is held by the silver metal straps. Assume that is not supposed to be there?? It is primarily leaking from that hole, but also appears to be leaking by the orange valve handles as well. My trailer is fairly permanently situated right now - hence the inquiry about a repair man that works in the field.

Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance. Running water is a luxury I’ve taken for granted! ��
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:59 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vista , California
Bob, thank you, that makes total sense. I never realized the Ďcity waterí connection didnít go into a tank first. Sounds silly that I didnít know. There must be some sort of failure between the two because Iím now convinced the city water supply is leaking into the fresh water tank and the fresh water tank must be whatís leaking into the ground below the trailer . I have noticed the volume in the fresh water tank go up and down at times when it shouldnít since Iím not using it, right? I do keep my gray tank emptied and amNot currently using my black water tank. The water pump also pumps a limited amount of water to the faucets - I guess also indicating some water is getting into the fresh water tank from the city water supply. I plan to partially fill my fresh water tank and see if it pours out at the same place I noticed before. Yes, troubleshooting is required. Thanks for your time!
Old 07-09-2021, 12:00 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vista , California
Bill, thanks for the referral. I will email him and ask his schedule. 👍
Old 07-10-2021, 07:34 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Normally, when on city water, the water pump is turned off. A leak to the fresh water tank will fill it and (eventually) it will overflow. Just where it comes out depends a bit on how they built your trailer.

The back flow valve to the thank can easily get crud in it. When it does, the valve leaks. Simple answer often is to run a tank or three full of water through it. That takes out the crud and the valve works properly again.

Welcome to the joys of owning an RV ....

Bob
Old 07-31-2021, 11:50 AM   #9

Airstream - Other
North Tonawanda , New York
Hi. Do you happen to know the water line route ? Mine comes in the trailer goes under driver side rear bed in the closet then down into the floor. I believe I hav a city line leak. I could not get and pressure, air , nothing out of any faucets Water was leaking on ground.
Gus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:08 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus83 View Post
Hi. Do you happen to know the water line route ? Mine comes in the trailer goes under driver side rear bed in the closet then down into the floor. I believe I hav a city line leak. I could not get and pressure, air , nothing out of any faucets Water was leaking on ground.
Hi

The drawing in the owners manual or parts book is usually the "go to" for hints on where the pipes run. If your trailer doesn't have one or the other, check prior years. They *may* be useful. It's a good guess that it runs from the intake over to the first water "customer" on that side of the trailer and then branches from there. That's only a guess .....

The access route to all of them is up through the belly pan.

Bob