Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2020, 06:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lewes , Delaware
Air in Fresh Water Line

I have a 2017 International Serenity 27 FBQ. I was having a problem with the ShurFlo Pump not appearing to work properly, it was pumping air and water, and would not prime from a bucket placed on the floor with a hose from the bucket to the pump. I replaced the pump and the water strainer, ensuring that all threaded connection had plumbers tape and were securely fastened. The pump will now pump from a bucket placed on the floor with a hose from the bucket to the pump. However, when the pump is connected to the line that connects to the fresh water tank. I am still getting a combination of air and water, mostly air. It appears to me that air is getting introduced upstream of the pump. I have visually checked what piping I am able to see, however, the piping drops through a hole in the floor, presumably then connecting to the fresh water tank. I am not going to drop the belly pan and try to find a problem under the trailer. Short of that, any thoughts on what might be going on?
bella_intl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:42 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
No leaks?

Most common, an air lock.

Try raising and lowering the tongue jack with one outlet at a time open. On....off, up, down, wait for the pump to stop. Repeat if needed...last resort...shop vac outlet over the FW fill...or try that first.😂

Good luck...👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-15-2020, 09:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Air cannot be introduced on the outlet side of the pump, as the line is under pressure. Water can come out but that is a "leak". The only way to intruduce air into the line is through an air leak on the inlet side of the pump, quite often in the strainer/filter fittings , or through a "venturi" system, which I have never seen in household or trailer applications. Recheck ALL fittings on the inlet side of the pump, as well as all the screws on the pump itself. You may also have a leaking gasket in the pump, but not very likely in a new unit.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
I am having the exact same problems on our 2012 FC, installed new pump with no resolution. It pumps some water but would probably take 3-4 minutes to pump 1 gallon.

Gary
Castaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Is this a new problem, Gary, was everything OK with the old pump? Maybe re-check all the connections at the new pump. Can you get your head close to the pump and listen for odd sounds and leaks?

Is your water tank full?

Air in the lines can prevent the pump from priming correctly, so open and close each and every hot and cold water faucet/hand sprayer/shower head/exterior shower/toilet etc. to make sure there is no air in any of the lines. If you get some air out of any of the lines, go back around the trailer and do that again.

There should be an improvement, but if not it is possible that the new pump is defective IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella_intl View Post
. . .
. . . any thoughts on what might be going on?
As the OP of this thread, did you sort out your problem?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 03-29-2020, 06:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Is this a new problem, Gary, was everything OK with the old pump? The old pump acted the same way Maybe re-check all the connections at the new pump. Can you get your head close to the pump and listen for odd sounds and leaks?

Is your water tank full? yes

Air in the lines can prevent the pump from priming correctly, so open and close each and every hot and cold water faucet/hand sprayer/shower head/exterior shower/toilet etc. to make sure there is no air in any of the lines. If you get some air out of any of the lines, go back around the trailer and do that again. I will try this tomorrow

There should be an improvement, but if not it is possible that the new pump is defective IMO.

Good luck,

Peter

Thanks for the quick reply see my replies above in orange
Castaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks. For how long did the old pump act the same way?

I guess there could be a small hole in the line coming from the water tank to the pump.

Or . . . What about the filter . . . Is there one near the pump? Maybe check that filter and clean it, and also make sure the gasket is sound and sealing well. A little plumber’s Vaseline [my term] might help here.

Peter
Old 03-29-2020, 08:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
I am having the exact same problems on our 2012 FC, installed new pump with no resolution. It pumps some water but would probably take 3-4 minutes to pump 1 gallon.

Gary
Try taking the strainer out of the equation. Connect the hose directly to the pump.
I've had strainers that did not show a crack but leaked air. A few drops of water left during winter can do this.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:54 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
is the fresh water tank is completely full of water?

If not, fill the fresh water tank completely and see if you still have the same problem....

If you do, then the leak is in the inlet side of the hose from the tank to the pump....

If you do not have the same problem when the tank is full, but you do when it is say, half full, it is possible that the pickup for the fresh water pump is not resting on the bottom of the fresh water tank.....it may have somehow cracked and is sucking air instead of water because it is not drawing water from the very bottom of the tank. The same way that if you are drinking a soda from a straw, and the straw is cracked a couple inches from the bottom of your cup.....you start getting lots of air instead of drink......
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
As others have mentioned the problem is most consisten with an air leak somewhere on the pump inlet. The strainer and gaskets, any of the fitting gaskets. Missing gaskets on the inlet won't leak as they are under a slight negative pressure. even a hole in the inlet tubing. None of it will leak but even small holes and gaps will cause the symptoms you describe.

If you can't locate the issue, remove the connection at the pump and connect an eternal piece of tubing. then suck on the hose to pull a vacuum. do you get pure water or air? If air trace back to see if you can find where air is entering the suction system.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:44 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lewes , Delaware
OTRA15: I have not had the ability to access my trailer for the past couple of weeks due to staying at home. I will check the filter again, however, as I said, I replaced both the pump and the filter and used plumbers tape on all screw fittings. Pretty confident all of that is secure. Will need to try the other suggestions once I get access to the trailer and can bring it back to the house for troubleshooting.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Gotcha, thanks.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:59 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lewes , Delaware
Air in Fresh Water Line

BayouBiker: I did hook up a hose to the pump and pulled water from a bucket with no problem, the problem is only when I am connected to the fresh water tank. Although, I do need to connect the hose upstream of the filter as well and make sure air is not being introduced by the filter assembly.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:54 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Newmanstown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
BayouBiker: I did hook up a hose to the pump and pulled water from a bucket with no problem, the problem is only when I am connected to the fresh water tank. Although, I do need to connect the hose upstream of the filter as well and make sure air is not being introduced by the filter assembly.
Maybe the valve you are turning to change from drawing from the bucket to the fresh tank is not switching completely. Can you cap off the line you use for the bucket at the valve? That would eliminate the chance that it's staying open a little and drawing air. Just a guess.
Jonmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:39 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lewes , Delaware
Folks - finally got Bella out of storage, post COVID restrictions, and did another round of isolation testing. I found the problem. There is a short piece of flex tubing that runs from the inlet side of the pump to the water filter. The fresh water tank source connects to the water filter end of this small section. The flex tubing in connected to the elbow on one end and to the water filter on the other end by two "pressure fittings" that appear to be machine crimped. They were both loose permitting air into the line. I think they loosened over time due to handling this section to insert the tubing line that is used to input antifreeze into the fresh water system. I replaced the "pressure fittings" with standard hose clamps, problem solved.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:19 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update . . . a simple fix!

Old 06-19-2020, 08:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
sweet! good to know!
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:33 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Thumbs up no fresh water via FW tank

Quote:
Folks - finally got Bella out of storage, post COVID restrictions, and did another round of isolation testing. I found the problem. There is a short piece of flex tubing that runs from the inlet side of the pump to the water filter. The fresh water tank source connects to the water filter end of this small section. The flex tubing in connected to the elbow on one end and to the water filter on the other end by two "pressure fittings" that appear to be machine crimped. They were both loose permitting air into the line. I think they loosened over time due to handling this section to insert the tubing line that is used to input antifreeze into the fresh water system. I replaced the "pressure fittings" with standard hose clamps, problem solved.

Thanks for posting your update, as it help me to pursue this solution, I had exactly the same problem as we got on the road late this year and did not purge the plumbing system until our first stop with full hookups it was doable . I re-tightened the fittings you talked about and voila got fresh water from the tank. Say it was a bear to work in such a small space