Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 23' Safari
eugene , Oregon
'78 23' safari fresh water

My fresh water tank fills and runs out of a tiny hose at the top to the tank, I think. I can't tell if the tank is full by viewing the lights in the cupboard because the sensors don't seem to be working right now. Is there an easy way to remove the sensors or do I have to pull the tank?
Will the potable water tank empty with the two valves in the rear under the sink or do I have to empty it via the pump?
Next question: is it okay to climb on top of my AS to caulk things or will I fall through to my death?
Thank you very much its a pleasure to be associated with such nice people
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01443 (640x427).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	133007  
snkrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1978 23' Safari
eugene , Oregon
Smile in response to myself

I figured out with a mirror and flashlight that the vent hose had come off. Then I used a 1/4" wrench with a screwdriver bit for a drill to tighten the screws on the sensors. The manual said the screws would be common but they turned out to be phillips. Anyway once all the sensor screws were tight everything worked. I still don't know if I can climb on the roof though.
snkrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hi snkrichards,

Glad you figured out the dilemna with the sensors.. as far as the roof the answer is yes and no.

If you do a search on this topic you will finds many threads showing success and mishap. Some folks have come up with some pretty cool ways to distribute the weight as you move around the ribs of the trailer. Stay off the end caps! There is nothing that will support your weight there. The best solution I saw was a guy that backed the airstream foot by foot under his deck whereby he could just lay on the deck and work on the roof without ever placing a step but thats not always possible. Lean a ladder with blankets and support against the rail or awning area. Climb up slowly and stay on the ribs.. maybe lay a 2x6 along the upper drip rail so you can kneel on it while distributing your weight. If you make a slight dent it may pop out in the sun over time. Becareful! Its a long way down..

Good luck

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:44 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can (and I do daily) walk, or at least move around on the roof. Stay on the rivet lined, that's where the ribs are, with their support. Access the roof through a ladder propped against the awning, or if you don't have an awning, tape a pair of old towels around the vertical area of the ladder where it would touch the sides of the trailer, and lean it against the trailer. That way, the ladder won't scratch the trailer. And like stated above, stay off the end segments.