Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
'72 Tradewind Pump works but goes out the back

Was testing the fresh water tank and the pump works after filling the tank but it pushes the water out the inlet hose connection (which doesn't have a hose connected) instead of through the sink faucet cold water as it appears to be connected. Any thoughts? Also the manual says that it is supposed to turn the pump on when you turn on the faucet (on demand). Instead it runs continually when turned on at the control panel.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
There should be a check valve before the hose inlet connection to prevent this if the plumbing is original. It should be located in line with the pressure regulator.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
72 Tradewind Pump works but goes out the back

Greetings Rich!

It sounds to me like you have a pressure regulator valve stuck in the open position. If your coach has the one-stop service compartment in the rear, you can usually see the pressure regulator valve when the one-stop hatch is open -- it is brass and has a top that is somewhat bell shaped. These valve should be readily available from your local plumbing supply house.

Once the problem allowing water to flow out the city inlet is solved, your pump should only run when a faucet is open, the toilet is flushed, or if there is a leak somewhere in the system.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Picture of regulator

Here's what I see, there is a brass fitting at the bottom that goes back to kitchen, don't know it that's a valve or a T. Do I tap the regulator with a wrench or just replace?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	regulator.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	77555  
Old 03-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
72 Tradewind Pump works but goes out the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Here's what I see, there is a brass fitting at the bottom that goes back to kitchen, don't know it that's a valve or a T. Do I tap the regulator with a wrench or just replace?
My susupicion is that either sand granules and/or mineral deposits have built up in the valve causing it to stick. When I checked with my local plumbing supply for a replacement on my '78 Argosy, they found a rebuild kit available -- they didn't stock it but had the valve and since the new valve wasn't particularly expensive I went with that option. If it is mineral accumulation, disassembling the valve and soaking in white vinegar may be at least a short-term cure -- one gasket would be involved between the body of the valve and the bell top.

My experience with my Argosy was the opposite of yours -- my onboard water system worked fine -- the coach wouldn't accept park water even when I set my external regulator to 20 p.s.i.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Your plumbing has been replaced with PVC or maybe CPVC. Look between the regulator and the inlet for a check valve. It might look like a long fitting or maybe the PO did not install one and was using a cap on the inlet to prevent back flow. Maybe the PO only camped where he had a water connection and did not need one. If only these old trailers could talk.

I would not mess with the regulator. I would replace the inlet with something like this:
Save at RV Partscenter - RV Parts and Supply

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Pump valve

Didn't find any check valve between inlet and bell shaped valve. I take it the vallve in the picture is designed to stop water as it pushes back out of the system. Can I take it apart and clean or repair without removing? Those pvc fittings look like they'd com apart if I take a wrench to them to take the valve.