Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
'67 fresh h2o tank

my 67 Caravel had the original fresh water tank. Grey plastic. Repaired many times.
My question is what is the copper tube that runs from the top of the tank to the bottom of the tank on the end on the street side?
I will be ordering the new tank and wonder if I need to have them put the fittings in for it.
Thanks!
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:29 AM   #2
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Hi There Ms Dingo,

Pardon my “I Don't Know, but...” response, perhaps a “thread bump” will help.

What I understand from owner's manual illustrations, your tank, I'm guessing is about 16”square and say 50” long. It fills from streetside front. There isn't any indication of copper pipes going into it, other than where it exits to the waterpump at the floor.

My GT has a flat tank, about 6” x 20”' X 50”and there are only two “ports”, the fill hole is 1 ½ inch, and the “delivery” port at the floor is maybe ½ inch. There are no other orifices. Your fill cap is your vent assuming it is same as 1968. I can't imagine any reason for extra holes in the tank.

My tank is a milky-clear polyethylene. I loose-laid a PVC shower pan liner under my tank and pump, to contain any catastrophic leak. I used the entire area ahead of the door for a permanent bed, with storage underneath, wide enough for bamboo awning poles. The bed is our lounge area. I replaced the streetside gaucho with a dinette for two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1698.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	258181   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2605.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	258184  

Name:	DSC_2227.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	258185   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2223.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	258186  

Name:	DSC_1688.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	258187   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2230.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	258189  

ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
The copper tube does not exit the tank. It goes into the tank at the top side then runs vertically to the bottom of the tank and enters the tank again. It is on the outside of the tank.
I saved the old tank and will try to get a picture of it when I get home today.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado

Name:	DSCN5513.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	259073

This is the copper tube i spoke of that goes from the top of the old tank to the bottom of the tank.
Is this necessary? What does it do?
Thanks.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUMINUMINUM View Post
Hi There Ms Dingo,

Pardon my “I Don't Know, but...” response, perhaps a “thread bump” will help.

What I understand from owner's manual illustrations, your tank, I'm guessing is about 16”square and say 50” long. It fills from streetside front. There isn't any indication of copper pipes going into it, other than where it exits to the waterpump at the floor.

My GT has a flat tank, about 6” x 20”' X 50”and there are only two “ports”, the fill hole is 1 ½ inch, and the “delivery” port at the floor is maybe ½ inch. There are no other orifices. Your fill cap is your vent assuming it is same as 1968. I can't imagine any reason for extra holes in the tank.

My tank is a milky-clear polyethylene. I loose-laid a PVC shower pan liner under my tank and pump, to contain any catastrophic leak. I used the entire area ahead of the door for a permanent bed, with storage underneath, wide enough for bamboo awning poles. The bed is our lounge area. I replaced the streetside gaucho with a dinette for two.
I like your flooring, what is it??
Old 03-19-2016, 09:02 PM   #6
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Hi There,

I cannot think of a reason for the added tubing. It looks like Airstream's 1967 era flare work, but the polyethylene tank would have been specified to have 1/2" nipples and hose attachment, not what looks like threaded and glued attachments. If the tank doesn't have a flange or nipple molded into it to accept the copper, it's got to be an Airstream afterthought or the work of a Previous Owner. If it were clear tubing, and not copper, I'd guess it could have been a sight to indicate water level. It's not illustrated in the factory plumbing diagram.

My guess is that someone thought that it could somehow act as a vent, but your fill cap is your vent, so the tubing seems like a misunderstanding.

Maybe someone knows why it's there, I'd say it's unnecessary.

Funny you ask about the floor… I'm almost finished with a two page-long rant about floating loose-lay floors VS engineered glue-downs.

Engineered T&G maple 3/8” x3”, Pre-finished with titanium oxide poly, lightly eased edge, glued and nailed is my choice as “The Best”.

If you're interested in further support for that statement, it's thorough and convincing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream manual 56.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	259078   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Maple engineered floor.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	259079  

ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
1967 17' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Tempe , Arizona
Fresh water connection inside the trailer - How do you do it?

I am working on refurbishing a '67 Caravel. When I look at the area for connecting to fresh water inside the side door it seems very close to the electric and to the space for a battery.

Have either of you changed the water connection to an angle or placed it outside the trailer?
Puggzilla is offline   Reply With Quote