Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
1971 Excella - Plumbing Questions

Hi,
I am looking for a plumbing diagram for my 71 31' Excella. Does anyone have one they can email to me? If file size is an issue, I have an online storage system for you to download it to.

My (current) issue is that my toilet is backing up and I cant figure out how to clean it out. On the side of my trailer is a pipe that may be a black water clean out valve (see picture). Should I unscrew this and insert a water hose to clean out?

I've seen some hacks on adding a grey water tank (Roy's Gray Grey Waste Tank Solution) but I want to make sure I understand the layout before I attempt this.

Thanks ahead of time!

africaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
Sorry heres the picture..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_001457.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	163660  
Old 07-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
That is your fresh water hookup. Do you have a mid bath or a rear bath?
Old 07-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne View Post
That is your fresh water hookup. Do you have a mid bath or a rear bath?
I have a rear bath.

If this is my fresh water hookup, what is the white water hose that is a spinner wheel (in the same compartment as the electrical plug)?
Old 07-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Unsure about the white hose unless it is hooked up to drain the water tank or something. That is something a previous owner would have installed. You should have a 3" or so pipe with a cap coming out of the rear bumper area just aft of the fresh water hookup. That would be your toilet drain. Unknown if you have holding tanks on that year trailer.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne View Post
Unsure about the white hose unless it is hooked up to drain the water tank or something. That is something a previous owner would have installed. You should have a 3" or so pipe with a cap coming out of the rear bumper area just aft of the fresh water hookup. That would be your toilet drain. Unknown if you have holding tanks on that year trailer.
Here is a picture of the hose I was referring to. Its in the compartment with the electrical outlet. When I connect this to city water, I have water in the trailer. When I take this out (or turn off the water), I dont (a separate issue is that my water pump appears dead - working on that one).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_001460.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	163668  
Old 07-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
It looks like a PO bypassed the original fresh water hook up replacing the 1 in the first pic with the 1 in the second pic.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Looks like it.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Your black tank outlet a is a black 3" PVC pipe with a cap on the end that takes a 1/4 turn to remove.

There is a T handle that opens the 3" line to drain the black tank.

Before pulling the T handle be sure to have your 3" sewer hose connected or you will have a mess.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Rear bath Excella's have 2 fresh water intake locations. The standard is at the rear and the additional one is on a reel next to the electrical cord. My 77 has a cleanout in the rear hatch. There is a black pvc pipe coming straight up in the center of the hatch and a cleanout port is there. When you open the dump valve does it drain at all?
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsale View Post
Rear bath Excella's have 2 fresh water intake locations. The standard is at the rear and the additional one is on a reel next to the electrical cord. My 77 has a cleanout in the rear hatch. There is a black pvc pipe coming straight up in the center of the hatch and a cleanout port is there. When you open the dump valve does it drain at all?
Doug - you were right about the dual fresh water intakes. I plugged in water to the first picture and I still have water throughout the trailer. The 2nd picture (next to electrical plug) must be a backup.

Regards to draining, yes, when I open the valve some liquid waste comes out but I am still backed up. I think I need to put in some waste tablets to break down the solids.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Sacramento , California
Anyone have the plumbing diagram for my records? Or is this in the complete owners manual that someone is selling online (CD or PDF)?
Old 08-18-2012, 02:11 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
1973 25' Tradewind
Cinnaminson , New Jersey
Its called a hose reel. Saves on storage of a water line, it just rolls up on the reel, locking at the length you need +/-
If you use it, Id suggest marking it (I used duct tape) so you know when your at the end. If you extend it to the max and the reel sticks, wont retract, its difficult to get it back in
Riverton, NJ
tfbeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:42 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Birmingham , Alabama
Can you bypass the black water tank and connect directly to sewer line?
Ducka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Maybe you have an "Excella 500" for 1971. This was the very top of the line Airstream that year. The Excella 500 continued for several years as the top of the line Airstream. They are kinda special.

This might explain the two fresh water inlets. The first photo of it is the typical location for Airstream during those years. The second photo may very well be those dang hose reels. My 86 Limited had them, but as stated they can be problematic and I removed them. I'm not too old to roll up a power cord or a water hose.

A clogged up black tank is not unusual if the previous owner neglected in dumping it. So you kinda got a mess. First I would see if I could poke a stick in the black tank opening and see if I could detect a clog. As mentioned, opening the dump valve to the black tank with out a way of containing any sewage that came out is dump. But you gotta find out why the tank won't drain.

You should post a picture of your Excella. It is worth preserving.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducka View Post
Can you bypass the black water tank and connect directly to sewer line?
No toilet is mounted directly onto black tank. You would need to remove black tank to connect directly to sewer line.

Note: This thread is from 2012.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote