Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Zipdee power awning opened on I-95, twice

Yesterday the power awning on our 30 feet classic fully extended at 70 miles an hour while driving down I-95. No damage. 20 minutes later it happened again, but I was watching so it did not fully extend the second time. I shut off the house batteries and was able to make it home. Has anyone else had this problem? Will call company and dealer, but we would like to know if this is something others have experienced. Obviously strange for us, but if it’s happened to 100 other people that would be good information. Thank you, Pat Morley
pat morley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Hi Pat,

Wow! That must have jumped the old heart rate right up.

Never had it happen to me but as a thought. Pull the fuse and you can use the rest of the trailer.

Please be sure to post what the dealer says caused it.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 01:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Yorba Linda , California
The same thing just happened to us in our 2018 30' Classic. We had to travel with all power disconnected to assure it didn't happen again. Now that we are home we are trouble shooting. How did you stop this from happening again? I prefer to have my refrigerator running as we travel. I've read some about an on/off switch, but everything in our coach is ran thru the Firefly system. Please share what you have learned. Thank you!
CarrieAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 01:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Yorba Linda , California
The same thing just happened to us in our 2018 30' Classic. We had to travel with all power disconnected to assure it didn't happen again. Now that we are home we are trouble shooting. How did you stop this from happening again? I prefer to have my refrigerator running as we travel. I've read some about an on/off switch, but everything in our coach is ran thru the Firefly system. Please share what you have learned. Thank you!
CarrieAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:18 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Get a ZipDee on/off switch

ZipDee sells an awning on/off rocker switch with a light indicator. I replaced my original ZipDee panel. I heard that the ZipDee owner had his awning open on him while in transit.
Attached Images

dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 09:00 PM   #6
ZOZ
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
Yes--Its Quite Common

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat morley View Post
Yesterday the power awning on our 30 feet classic fully extended at 70 miles an hour while driving down I-95. No damage. 20 minutes later it happened again, but I was watching so it did not fully extend the second time. I shut off the house batteries and was able to make it home. Has anyone else had this problem? ...
The Zip Dee awning deploying on its own has happened to several here on the forum. I have a manual awning that I don't trust and when travelling have the arms zip tied. Either cut off all electrical to the awning deployment switch or zip tie it permanently. You'll find out Zip Dee has no verifyable solution.

zoz
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 09:49 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
DESERT HOT SPRINGS , California
This has not happened to us, but when we were having repairs done at Jackson Center, our tech informed us of a potential problem with our CZONE control boxes (under the wardrobe on our Classic 33). Our boxes weren't bolted to the shelves so during bumpy travels, the units could bounce around and possibly set off some controls, like deploying the awning while traveling down the road! He specifically used that example. So, they went ahead and mounted the boxes to the shelves. Anyway, fyi.
tymcknobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:08 PM   #8
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Zip Dee recommends a power shut off switch with the install. Airstream chose to neglect that item. Get a switch installed.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote