Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
ZipDee original awning color Argosy 1977

what was the original zipdee awning fabric for an Argosy in 1977? if anyone has a pic I'd appreciate it. I'm the proud owner of a really nice 1977 26ft center twin, and would like to do awnings all round, replacing the original A&E.....apparently ZipDee was not the prefered awning in the 70's for some reason (my '77 Sovereign came with a Carefree)
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
I don't know if ZipDee was an option on your Argosy in '77! Although I have seen many Argosies with ZipDee awnings installed on them. The two choices for the factory installs were A&E and Carefree on the Airstreams for many years. There of course were many after market awning brands that could have been installed on both A/S & Argosy trailers. If your trailer had a Carefree awning on it the awning rail may still be used for some manufacturers of todays awnings. I would call ZipDee and discuss what Sunbrella fabrics and colors would go with your exterior paint/color scheme. They can tell you if your old rail can be used and may be able to sell you the correct arms, Spring roller, and hardware to work with a curved sided trailer. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:34 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
Thanks for the info. I remember seeing Argosys with brown/orange stripe zip dees......I found a rather colorful sunbrella pattern that has the beige argosy color, some orange pinstripes among other colors that would look pretty cool, Zip Dee sent free samples. They also have the "brown fancy stripe" that was the orignal..or what people chose aftermarket. That was discontinued but they still have it......I thought it was owners choice with the dealer in those days, ie dealer installed option......I do know our 77 Sovereign that my father bought 6 mos old, had a Carefree, and this '77 26ft Argosy has and A&E....perhaps people went for the less expensive product......I'm waiting for the brown fancy sample in the mail now.....
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
My 1979 Argosy had the brown fancy stripe awning from ZipDee. It really looked great on the trailer.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote