Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2019, 11:12 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Here is an image of mine. It is screwed down to the floor. It does appear if there is a daughter board mounted on top of the Zipdee board with the ethernet cable running to it. That must be the Czone interface. This looks like the installation that was abandoned, in the back, on your image.

I would ask the factory to make it look like mine and operate like mine. I've had no issues so far and cringe at the thought of failure. I wish they gave you the option to choose automatic or manual. How about a design that allows both?

Clearly, your unit had a problem with the awning and someone just forgot to finish replacing your original board. Looks like they were testing a new board and well, just went to lunch and never returned. Someone saw the drawer out and just put it back. That my friend is a good case for why Airstream needs to improve their quality control. When things are hand built, you have to ensure that the person working on a problem, checks off on that issue. Clearly, they did not in this case.

Also in my picture is the inverter (on the right) with its many wires running who knows where.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7376-2_RES (1).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	386.5 KB
ID:	344826  
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
And while I'm at it . . . . Why does Airstream continue to toss wires around creating the rat's nests we all have and making it a nightmare to troubleshoot?

Can't they come up with junction boxes to organize this mess? I can think of several areas that a junction buss box could be used to organize the mess that Airstream has created. Look at the electronics cabinet in a Classic! Look under the rear dinette seat! It is a mess and just asking for failure.

Now Airstream is using their favorite square connector throughout the entire trailer. I hate looking at connectors hanging from every light in the cabinets! You hit them every time you access something in the cabinet.

Whewww!! Got that out of my system.
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:37 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Here is an image of mine. It is screwed down to the floor. It does appear if there is a daughter board mounted on top of the Zipdee board with the ethernet cable running to it. That must be the Czone interface. This looks like the installation that was abandoned, in the back, on your image.
The daughter board is the cZone/ZipDee interface. Your emergency kit is supposed to contain a ZipDee controller where you unplug the RJ45 that runs between the controller and the daughter board and use a CAT5 cable to plug your ZipDee keyboard into the controller. Since I didn't have the controller (The dealer has told me that they will get me one.) ZipDee had me remove the motor cables and jumper them directly to 12V to retract the awning.

There seemed to be some initial interest from both ZipDee and Airstream (JC) on the problem, but Airstream has been silent since then. ZipDee has followed up aasking what the resolution is, but I don't have that yet. The dealer seems to look at me with the proverbial "deer in the headlights" when I ask them about it.

I'm waiting to see what the dealer says before I say anything else to them. I'll give them a chance to test it and make a determination.

Something that has bothered me with dealers (and not just this dealer or trailer) is that they make the assumption that as an owner, I don't really know what I'm talking about and they don't really listen to me. I guess many owners are like that and it's an automatic response. But I'm a DIY kind of person and I really like to understand as much about the things I own and use as possible. Being an engineer with formal education and experience in both electrical and mechanical designs gives me a leg up on the average owner I guess.

Anyway, there is no point is pushing the issue unless they fail to diagnose and fix it.

What really chaps my hide is when I read the paperwork for warranty work and it has a statment like "explained to the customer that ...." followed by some lame excuse for not fixing the problem. Ugh. I hate being talked to like an idiot when I know more about the subject than the person lecturing me.

While waiting to take possession of this trailer, I read every manual I could get my hands on (downloaded from the Internet) and did as much research as I could. When the person did the walk through with me, it was obvious that I knew more about the particulars of the technology of this trailer than he did. Where he helped me was in the practical things (like taking care of black tanks, etc...)

It all worked out well then, but things are moving slowly now. I understand that they are really busy selling trailers right now and hope that things will get better in the off season. So far, they have been good at letting me take the trailer from the lot when I need it, but that usually means I go to the back of the line when I bring it back in to finish the warranty work. This is my third time in since I bought it. Good thing I'm only 35 miles from them.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:01 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
UPDATE:

The local service center finally got around to working on the awning. I had to make an appointment and after it was delivered on the appointment date, they apparently sat on it for two weeks before working on it. To be fair, the first week they had the trailer, they were doing warranty repairs that had been postponed from an earlier warranty appointment, but the last week they basically did nothing on it.

Today, I got a call from the service department to tell me that the ZipDee awning controller had water damage and was non-functional so they couldn't troubleshoot it. (you think!?!) It was going to be an expensive replacement and they had turned it into the warranty department of Airstream, but because I had installed a water filter, they were not sure it would be covered under warranty.

I have mixed emotions. My blood is beginning to boil over that last statement. Lets see:
  1. The awning has never worked right since we got the trailer. The problems with the awning were some of the "postponed" warranty items.
  2. The Controller shows evidence of having been worked on before because there are two interface boards showing that one has been replaced before and the old one just left in place sticky-taped to the controller.
  3. The failure of the awning was BEFORE I installed the water filter. I just took advantage of the down time to install it.
  4. The controller is mounted underneath the sink. while not a problem in and of itself, the manual says to disconnect the sink trap anytime work has to be performed on the drain. Anyone here ever disconnected a sink trap and had NO water spill?
  5. I'm questioning the wisdom of placing a controller sensitive to water directly under a water source.
  6. I'm perturbed at the seemingly lackadaisical approach to getting things fixed by the service center. I know this is the busy season, but if your gonna make me make an appointment, then the work should be performed according to the appointment. What car service center works like that? I've never had anything that required an appointment and then it just sat on a lot somewhere for weeks on end.

I talked to the salesperson who sold me the trailer in my frustration and he asked me to hold off pulling the trigger on any sort of action until they hear back from Airstream warranty.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:34 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
The new sink traps are dry for the most part. It is a rubber check device.

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:34 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
It's the "for the most part" that gets you. There is still water there, it is still a potential leak point because there is a joint in the pipe there.

That being said, this may all be conjecture anyway. I haven't actually seen the controller that the dealer claims was water damaged. Since I installed the water filter myself, I happen to know that there was zero water spilled or leaked during the install. Being an electrical engineer and handy mechanically, I suspect the controller is simply defective and that the dealer is making an assumption. My point is that that assumption is merely based upon the proximity of the two parts and that it is a poor assumption since there are other potential water leakage sources that can and will leak in actual closer proximity.

If you look at the picture posted above, you can see that the only evidence of a water filter is two 1/4" poly lines beside the controller. The trap is located directly above the controller and the filter is located to the side and forward of the trap. This is just one of those things that they are trying to get out of paying on the warranty because the filter isn't "standard" equipment.

I've asked to see the removed part. We'll see if they honor that.

Assuming the "water damage" is the culprit (which I sincerely doubt), the fix is simple. There is enough cable that you simply move the controller forward about 6 inches so it is squarely under the cabinet bottom which will protect it from any dripping water. You also fasten the cable to the floor to provide a "drip loop" so water can't follow the cable into the control box. If they were truly concerned about water damage, those are the little things that would be designed into the placement of the controller.

No, I suspect that the controller is simply defective and this is the dealer making a poor, uneducated guess that has just caused headaches with the warranty department of Airstream.