Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2019, 02:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
See postnumber 8!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I remember owners screaming because AS did not off power awnings. Be careful of what you wish for!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Deep breaths, Ephraim.

It’s a major national holiday, and I don’t think you should expect to hear anything back from anyone before tomorrow.

You have it tied down, you’ve done the best you can do for the moment.

I would focus on reaching someone at ZipDee tomorrow, going straight to the horses mouth, so to speak.

They may be able to send someone to you, or tell you who to call, or you may just have to have the awning removed in its current state.

No panicking allowed, here, this could have been much worse, not to lesson how bad it feels right now.

If you don’t already have pen and paper handy, you should be keeping a record of what happened, what you tried, who you called and when, then notes of who you speak with and what they tell you.

Tomorrow should bring you some resolution.

Maggie
Old 05-27-2019, 04:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Electronic stuff 101

Kill the power at the converter.

Wait 60 seconds.

Turn the breaker back on while praying.

Try to close the awning.

No joy? Start again, but try to open the awning then close it.

No joy? Alumapalooza. They are all there. Go to post 7 and PM turk123. OR START a new thread titled "Alumapalooza 2019 Emergency help needed".
Old 05-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

No joy? Alumapalooza. They are all there. Go to post 7 and PM turk123. OR START a new thread titled "Alumapalooza 2019 Emergency help needed".

And read post #8 again carefully. Airstreaminc appears to be on hot standby waiting to get a vin # and contact information from you.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
And read post #8 again carefully. Airstreaminc appears to be on hot standby waiting to get a vin # and contact information from you.
Nope. I got a return PM that just said they would forward info to the appropriate person.

Turk visted the ZipDee booth at Alumapalooza and a rep called. I walked him through what happened and he suggested that the arms over-extended themselves and ran out of gears. He's trying to find someone that has the procedure to re-engage the gears, but no luck yet.

The rep wasn't all that familiar with cZone and couldn't say whether it was the cZone or the Relax control box that malfunctioned. He was surprised that there were the two keypad controllers with one just laying on the floor and the other not used. Agreed that it sounds like there was a previous problem with the awning. Without access to Airstream or the Dealer, that probably won't be answered until the look at it.

So far, it is weathering the 45mph gusts pretty well. The trailer is getting yanked around, but it's holding in there. Tomorrow will be a better day. It's not supposed to be as windy and everyone will be back to work. I think we'll make it.

Kudos to my hero Turk!
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:43 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
An update on the Status.

Both Airstream and ZipDee returned calls this morning - at the same time. I went ahead and had Airstream hangup. I'll call them back later to figure out what whent wrong and how to fix it.

ZipDee had me disconnect the motor leads from the controller box and used direct 12V from the battery to get the awning in a stowed condition. It appears that there is nothing mechanically wrong with the awning. He also mentioned that the "Emergency" kit that Airstream sends out with these is supposed to contain a ZipDee keypad which has some ability to help with the troubleshooting. Mine did not. I have a call into the local dealer about that.

Now to start the process with Airstream on what went wrong and how to fix it. I still suspect the interface board between the cZone and the Relax controller since there are two of them with one being unused.

Until we figure this out, I'm leaving the power unplugged on the Relax control box. No more auto-deploys!!!
Old 05-28-2019, 09:51 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hallelujah!!!

5***** to ZipDee for promptly returning your call.

I would write those instructions down and stash them somewhere, as you may be in a position to save someone else.

Maggie
Old 05-28-2019, 10:41 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Thank you for letting us know that you are making progress. Often we are never sure whether a problem has been solved, or how. You are now in the golden zone, between untested rookie and grizzled veteran. This state rarely lasts more than one summer.

Paula, provoking thought...or just provoking?
Old 06-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Lakeland , Tennessee
I have had problems with mine as well. Mine got stuck half way out on a Saturday evening with a severe thunderstorm approaching. Somehow one of the bars got bent either during the emergency closing procedures or when the dealership reattached everything and now it’s like pulling teeth getting it covered under warranty. I really hate this thing.
jugdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:19 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
A quick update:

ZipZee walked me through the process of getting it stowed. the lack of movement on the emergency arm extensions is apparently normal. It is geared something like 140:1 so it takes a while.

I'm supposed to have a ZipDee keypad in the emergency kit, but didn't get one. they had me use a 12V jumper cable to manually pull the arms in and roll it showing that the mechanism is fine. It's definitely the cZone to ZipDee interface located on top of the controller that is bad.

the dealer offered to steal a keypad from another trailer for me, but i just told them to order one as I was headed out on the road and would get it when I returned.

trailer is scheduled to go in on June 27 for warranty maintenance on the issue at the dealer.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Get the new ZipDee Control panel with lighted on/off switch

My 2016 Classic has an electric awning. I don't have a remote key fob and don't know of any way to open/close the awning via an Airstream app.

Last Fall, another AS owner told me of the risk that a ZipDee awning could open without the owner triggering the event. Further, I was told that ZipDee addressed the issue by changing the ZipDee control panel to include a lighted on/off toggle switch. Apparently, Airstream started using this improved control panel after my 2016 model year.

Needless to say, I promptly changed to the new control panel and now keep my ZipDee control panel set to OFF when the awning is not in use.
Attached Images

dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:33 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
Ephraim, what was the resolution? I ask because today, our awning says it is open but is actually closed and will not open. Had the clicking sound and reset the control panel behind the bottom drawer. No difference. ZipDee was not helpful. Left a msg with Airatream.

Wish I could open the awning to shield from the heat. Maybe we have similar issues and I was wondering how yours turned out.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:21 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilPeanut View Post
Ephraim, what was the resolution? I ask because today, our awning says it is open but is actually closed and will not open. Had the clicking sound and reset the control panel behind the bottom drawer. No difference. ZipDee was not helpful. Left a msg with Airatream.

Wish I could open the awning to shield from the heat. Maybe we have similar issues and I was wondering how yours turned out.
The trailer is at the dealer who is currently working on it. It's in for a whole host of warranty problems. I have mixed feelings, but we'll see what I get back.

Zip Dee had me pull the cables from the controller and run the motors with a jumper to a 12V battery. The fact that it retracted as it was supposed to do shows that nothing is wrong with the awning itself. The dealer had not given me the controller that they were supposed to so it's unknown what the issue is. Given that there were two czone/keypad/controller interfaces with one unused and the used one just laying on the ground beside the controller suggests to me that this problem has been had before in this brand new trailer.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:31 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Lakeland , Tennessee
FWIW mine ended up having a loose wire that connected to the c-zone system. It was fixed but now after multiple malfunctions they say one of the arms is bent just enough that it won’t open properly, and trying to get it warranteed is proving to be a giant hassle. I don’t mind all the minor repair issues that I’ve had to deal with but this awning has made me regret buying an airstream more than once. I wish they just came with a manual awning option. I don’t think it will ever be right, and even if it is I won’t trust it.
jugdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:56 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
Thanks for the quick reply. I will let you know how mine turns out. This is really the first item I haven't been able to deal with or figure out in our 9 months. Haven't been to the dealer yet for any warranty work but this will be on the list. Maybe I will go to JC instead just for fun. Our list a simple stuff except for this - hot and cold water are backwards, subwoofer is not connected, add the awning.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:10 AM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrick View Post
Wow - that is scary - sometime I wonder if advanced technology on a TT is just more trouble than it's worth
^
🤓

Remove unreliable gizmo's and concentrate on a useable well built unit.
All trailer tech should be optional.
If you have an AS app on your phone does the 'cloud' know the trailers location?🤔
Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-29-2019, 08:40 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
FWIW - This is a photo of the controller before I took it in. The two circled items are the two czone/ZipDee interface boards. You can see that the one affixed to the top of the ZipDee controller is unused and the one being used is just laying on the floor. The unplugged cables are the motor drive cables that I unplugged after I got the system retracted to avoid any more self deployments.

This is a repair that was obviously effected in a hurry. The dealer claims no knowledge of it so I was probably JC that did it. But who knows.

Seems to me that a loose circuit board floating around on a vinyl floor is just asking for problems with ESD or shorts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	453.2 KB
ID:	344811  
Old 06-29-2019, 09:10 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I am on my way to my classic to see if this board is attached anywhere. Is your board screwed to the inner wall or just two-sided taped to the wall? If it is taped, I can see it falling to the floor with the weight of all those cables attached to it.

If you pull the middle lower drawer, you will find your leftover floor material lying on the floor under the drawer.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:40 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I am on my way to my classic to see if this board is attached anywhere. Is your board screwed to the inner wall or just two-sided taped to the wall? If it is taped, I can see it falling to the floor with the weight of all those cables attached to it.

If you pull the middle lower drawer, you will find your leftover floor material lying on the floor under the drawer.
What I think is the original board is double-sticky-taped to the top of the controller. The board being used is just laying on the floor in front of it. There is no tape on it or on any other structure.

ZipDee seemed unaware of this boards existence claiming it was not something that they developed or supported. Either Airstream or cZone are probably the designers. Note that that information is my impression only as the folks I spoke with from Airstream did not share and ZipDee just ignored it stating that they wanted me to use their controller (which I didn't have).