Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Thanks for the clarification. It may be generational or perhaps a generational impact on the language. When I first read the title of this thread and then read your original post, I had a conflict going on in my brain and here’s why I think that happened.

There’s a modern implication (probably from YouTube videos with the word “fail” in the title) that “XYZ fail” means something happened that shouldn’t have. Like - the ZipDee awning didn’t perform as advertised - the product “failed” to deliver on its promise.

As you wrote in your original post - you described the mechanical failure as the result of something you admit was a use not recommended by the manufacturer. Yes, it technically experienced failure in the sense that it buckled under the weight of the water and/or pressure of the wind. In manufacturing we calculated MTBF/mean time between failure of components knowing they had a certain life we could count on. But as we’re warned about those conditions by the manufacturer, the awning operated exactly as described and promised by the manufacturer - or in other words, using it differently than described by the manufacturer speeds the MTBF artificially. The structure “failed” mechanically in that definition, but the company/product didn’t “fail” since their product wasn’t used as required.

So I see what you’re saying - and - I understand where the disconnect comes in.

Glad no one was hurt, you can get this repaired and sharing your story helps others remember to follow manufacturer recommendations.

Good luck with everything!

You’re very right that it is a “generational impact” on the language! Abhorrent as it is. I’m 35 so that’s technically my generations fault. For whatever it’s worth, “fail” when used this way means just about anything that “went wrong.” You could get into a car accident and that would be a “driving fail.” The more I attempt to come up with examples, the more I regret even saying it! Something else we say: #neveragain
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
So, FYI, when they say it’s for shade only, they mean it and they did NOT secretly over Engineer the thing to protect people from their own oversights. Okay? I still love Zip Dee too!
Nowhere do I read it is for shade only. They do warn against wind and rain, but it can certainly withstand rain. I have never put my awning away in the heaviest rain. It just needs to be at the correct angle to let the rain run off. But wind will destroy it. So if going away, put it away.

http://www.awningsbyzipdee.com/owner...al-awning.html

After downloading the PDF read the section on storm precautions.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
Nowhere do I read it is for shade only. They do warn against wind and rain, but it can certainly withstand rain. I have never put my awning away in the heaviest rain. It just needs to be at the correct angle to let the rain run off. But wind will destroy it. So if going away, put it away.

http://www.awningsbyzipdee.com/owner...al-awning.html

After downloading the PDF read the section on storm precautions.

I was only clarifying my original comment by acknowledging what someone else said about it being "for shade only." Having read the manual again, you're correct, it doesn't say that anywhere in there. It's also much less specific than I figured it would be. (It's been four years now since the last time I looked at it.)

Maybe ZipDee should offset the distances of the holes in the bars slightly so that you can never do what I did and have a totally level awning. The grommet idea solves all the problems though.
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:34 AM   #24
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I think tilting the awning severely is far superior to the grommet idea. We've all seen rains that would exceed the draining capacity of grommets. At least for the manual awnings - tilting is easy. The automatic ones may be a different story.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote