Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2016, 12:31 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
https://www.airstream.com/setup-take-awning/
Here is a different video, which also shows the caravan position for the awning.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Very helpful video. Thanks!

2009 F-150 "Big Red"
Caroyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
https://www.airstream.com/setup-take-awning/
Here is a different video, which also shows the caravan position for the awning.

This Video is a lot better than the one by Zip Dee. It includes using the awning half way out, (caravan position) which I often do when raining to keep the doorway dry. I actually had to show a Zip Dee dealer how to do this. I call it the storm mode.

I would like to see a remake of this video done during a steady 20 mph wind.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:51 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Ottawa , Ontario
Been using ZD awnings for over 20 years without any problems. Following advice from factory reps as several rallys I clean and lubricate the moving parts with silicone spray every now and then. If it appears that the wind will be strong enough to need tie-downs I just roll the awning up.

Then again I sometimes swim up-stream. I put paper down the toilet and shut off the propane when travelling. I have never seen a paper-plugged toilet, or spoiled food after a days travel. But I have seen destroyed awnings still attached to the tie-downs. I guess in the final analysis ya gotta do what feels good for ya.
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroyl View Post
Can someone post the link to this helpful instructional video? 😃

I think they have been posted, but if still in need go to YouTube and type in "ZipDee Awnings".

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I think they have been posted, but if still in need go to YouTube and type in "ZipDee Awnings".

Got it Chief, thanks!

2009 F-150 "Big Red"
Caroyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:13 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Discovering WHY varies from one person to the next

I have never needed to lubricate the inner rod. I will pull the loose sliding inner rod out of its sleeve and wipe it down with a clean rag. Aluminum as it wears will produce 'back residue' which combined with dust can create friction and the inner rod does not slide easily.

You can also SEE if there is a bend in the inner rod as it wears differently... Make sure you slide it back the same as it came out.

Add some lubricants and they are dirt and dust magnets. Also messy to deal with.

After some years or awning use, the ratchet process to lock the movable arm gets worn. I have filed the front edge down when it becomes dull and rounded.

The complaint of the rear awning support bending needs some understanding. Both ends support an equal share of weight distribution. So why the rear inner slide bending and creating problems? Maybe it is that most people start with the front side first and then to the rear?

The ZD Video sure makes using the extension pole to detach the awning to set up... look easy. Both my 23 and 25 foot round wheels had one side that was off a 1/4" or more. The awning appears to be off just a little when installed. The round wheel over the door I stand on the door entry and tightened that one. The other I am on a five gallon bucket to get the rear wheel tightened. Although with the 2006 23 footer it was not as high as my current 2014 25 footer. The 'crab claw' screw becomes loose on the 2014 and I need to tighten it from time to time so it does not fall off in transit. Takes some imagination to tighten the philips screw for access.

I tired some years ago to move the center pull down strap back and forth... and it ended up wrapped within the roll of awning. Now I lead it up manually, stand on the five gallon bucket and release a foot or more from fully rolled. It snaps shut and never has left any ridge from the pull down strap keeping it wrapping over itself and not moving it back and forth.

There must be reasons why some owners have difficulty and others do not. It will be something I will watch for this year. Much like lug nuts torque on trailer wheels... some having lug nuts loose on a trip and others not.

One thing I learned about mechanical things that are designed by those who are handy. When in the control of those who are not handy and never were... things can go wrong... a lot. Once the individual is eliminated as the source of the problem(s)... only then can the fix be discovered.

My first awning issue was when purchasing NEW, rear awning inner shaft was bent and the RV dealer said to 'lubricate'. It would 'loosen up'. Wrong. It was bent and I, the individual, did not know. I eventually pulled the inner rod out, laid it flat upon the floor, inside the trailer to see the arc of the bend. The arc of the bend was almost centered in the middle of the rod. I used a rubber mallet, a 2"x4"x10" stud, (outside the trailer) put it onto a thick piece of 2" x 12" x 24" lumber and literally 'beat' the bend as level as possible. It was not a 100% fix, but worked and I eventually needed to replace the inner rod.

The replacement rod worked perfectly for seven years, until I purchased the 2014. Never another issue.

My step by step inquiry would include:

- Is the Individual doing something I would not?
- Is the awning being set up differently?
- Is the awning left at the fourth notch 24 hours a day?
- Is there anything that is being done differently?
- Is there one person on each end, or all done by the same individual?

We all learn from our own mistakes. Or the mistakes of... others. Admitted or not. Otherwise nobody would know how to fix a problem, as the problem would never exist or occur. Sometimes you have to disassemble the inner system, move one to the other side and... test it out.

Elimination by trial and error is the proper way to find the problem.

Again... even a ZD video does not contain all of the answers. I will GUARANTEE YOU... that the video awning is CENTERED perfectly and set up to look easy with the pole in use. Had they tried to do this on my 2006 or 2014... there would be some red faces. It is not as easy as it looked on the video.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #67
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
In my case, I was breaking camp early in the morning and there had been a heavy dew. Water is not a good lubricant in a tight space, such as on the inner sleeve. The inner and outer parts bound up on me and I was slow to recognize why the awning failed to settle in properly. That is when I probably bent the arm - when I was trying to get the danged thing up.

So I clean and use a little silicone applied with a rag and wipe clean.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:57 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
New Mistake-Awning oops!

And then there is the new owner. Who practiced several times opening and closing the awning with no difficulty. Until! We get cocky setting up the trailer late at night in the dark. And one maybe gets in a hurry and one maybe puts the storage rod in the wrong place and one pulls the support bar out to lock and one maybe bends the heck our of the tube and upper rear curved bar.

Then there is a very real world mad wife standing on a picnic table supporting the awning while Mr Dumb Ass has to remove the arms and practice bending them so that they can at least retract, Thank god I felt the tension on that Spring Arm and let it wind back down slowly. If that had let go it could have been very painful.

Called my dealer next day they had no clue to the parts, Airstream helped with that but they do not sell to the customer. The kind lady at Zip Dee got me replacement parts shipped out to the house. She was extremely helpful.

Not looking forward to removing that rear arm again to replace parts. I hope as per Zip Dee I can support it with a strong ladder. What a learning curve this was. I still feel very stupid! But I hope it helps someone else not make this mistake.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:17 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
And then there is the new owner. Who practiced several times opening and closing the awning with no difficulty. Until! We get cocky setting up the trailer late at night in the dark. And one maybe gets in a hurry and one maybe puts the storage rod in the wrong place and one pulls the support bar out to lock and one maybe bends the heck our of the tube and upper rear curved bar.

Then there is a very real world mad wife standing on a picnic table supporting the awning while Mr Dumb Ass has to remove the arms and practice bending them so that they can at least retract, Thank god I felt the tension on that Spring Arm and let it wind back down slowly. If that had let go it could have been very painful.

Called my dealer next day they had no clue to the parts, Airstream helped with that but they do not sell to the customer. The kind lady at Zip Dee got me replacement parts shipped out to the house. She was extremely helpful.

Not looking forward to removing that rear arm again to replace parts. I hope as per Zip Dee I can support it with a strong ladder. What a learning curve this was. I still feel very stupid! But I hope it helps someone else not make this mistake.
I had no idea that you were talking about yourself until the end.

There's two kinds of campers. Those who have messed up at least once, and those who have never . . . . wait, we've all done it. So I guess there is only one type of camper.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Quote:

Did that on our first AS. Only I didn't get the spring loaded part and beat the crap out of my hand. Then door self locked with no key in pocket. 3 hour trip home to get spare and return next day to try to straighten bent rod using picnic table. New rods from ZipDee and spare keys were standard after that. I felt like a real dumb @$$ and my hand ached. But three AS later there are new opportunities and You Tube.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Until! We get cocky setting up the trailer late at night in the dark.
We've likely all done something we regret when setting up or tearing down camp. As a side note, there's really no reason I've found to setup my awnings at night. Especially the large one. If a storm comes up overnight it could destroy the awning and possibly cause other damage.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:08 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
We've likely all done something we regret when setting up or tearing down camp. As a side note, there's really no reason I've found to setup my awnings at night. Especially the large one. If a storm comes up overnight it could destroy the awning and possibly cause other damage.
Thanks for the advice. You're right there is no wind sensor only our being pro-active. I will remember this. Today I called Airstream because I read on the Zip Dee site there is now a kit to turn the awning into a power awning with wind sensor.

OUCH!! like only $7200.00. Best to learn how to put it up right! LOL
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:27 AM   #73
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by robi View Post
...I ordered it today from an extremely brash zip dee rep who I had to ask to tone down her attitude after I stated what I wanted to order. She later insisted this would not solve the problem, yada, yada, yada.

Ha. I spoke to her twice. At least a year elapsed between calls. I was looking at new awning options for my vintage AS. It was no coincidence that, both times, she was so abrasive I was relieved to end the call. In sales, what’s the opposite of a closer? That’s her. My spouse has received excellent help from the service/repair side of zip dee, tho.
perri is offline   Reply With Quote