Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
Zip Dee using Silicone??????

I just ordered a Road Side and Rear awning from Zip Dee for my '07 25FB Safari SE. I had an interesting conversation today w/ Linda at Zip Dee regarding sealants.

She told me that Zip Dee and Airstream both use silcone sealant in the rivit and screw holes as a sealant. Said that they have been using silcone for over 30 years in this application.

This does not seem to correlate with general Airstream Owner expereince (aka silcone and aluminium are not a good combination).

As I will be drilling numerous holes to get the awning hardware secured to the TT, I'd appreicate any comments/suggestion from those that have done installations.

Thanks, Dwight
SailAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I used Vulkem when I installed my rear awning. It took me endless hours to remove all the silicone that was on my trailer when I bought it, so I wasn't about to put more on it! I can't say what Zip Dee puts on, but I'll find out soon. My daughter is getting a new Zip Dee installed by the company within a month or so. I'll check it out when she gets it back!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
I picked up my two new awnings from the Freight yard today. Have not removed them from the shipping tubes yet. Will likely start the install this weekend wiht the rear since it is so much smaller than the Road side.

Figured it would be a good one to gain some expereince with. Looks like I will use Sikaflex 221 if i can find it here locally. Have not found a local source for Vulkem but will be in Dallas tomorrow and Thursday so may have some luck there.

D
Old 05-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
We installed Patio, window and rear Zip Dees on our 65 Safari restoration and used Vulcum to seal all rivet holes. You can get it from Vintage Trailer Supply and they have pretty good shipping times.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
The sikaflex 221 is avail. At home depot
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
I had ZipDee install a new side awning and repair on orig. and supplied them with
Silkaflex. They wanted to use silicone,but had read on Forum not to use it.
They did excellent work and i'm very happy with the results.They were "OK" with using the Silkaflex.Its just slow out of tube.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Sorry it was the Sikaflex -221. Bad spelling on prev. post .
Old 05-12-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by knunut View Post
I had ZipDee install a new side awning and repair on orig. and supplied them with
Silkaflex. They wanted to use silicone,but had read on Forum not to use it.
They did excellent work and i'm very happy with the results.They were "OK" with using the Silkaflex.Its just slow out of tube.
Did you have to ask them to use Sikaflex, or did they just use it? I'm taking my daughter out there to get hers done & we'll bring it along if we have to.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 05-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I'm very surprised that ZD would suggest the use of silicone on ANYTHING!!!

When ever I add a new awning rail to an RV (any RV that is), I run a ribbon of butyl tape across the back of the rail as the last step before riveting or screwing it in place. This provides a quality, elastic seal around any wall penetration. SikaFlex 221 is then used to seal the top and sides of the rail to the wall of the RV, and then used to cover every rivet or screw head.

This is a place that you definitely don't want any leakage! The butyl tape stays pliable and maintains the sealing properties thru most any type of environment.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
I asked them. And mentioned i saw it on the forum. They were OK with it. I supplied the tube.
Very good job and nice people. Got there for there first appt. of the day. Parked along side the Building. Easy in and out.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
I'm very surprised that ZD would suggest the use of silicone on ANYTHING!!!

When ever I add a new awning rail to an RV (any RV that is), I run a ribbon of butyl tape across the back of the rail as the last step before riveting or screwing it in place. This provides a quality, elastic seal around any wall penetration. SikaFlex 221 is then used to seal the top and sides of the rail to the wall of the RV, and then used to cover every rivet or screw head.

This is a place that you definitely don't want any leakage! The butyl tape stays pliable and maintains the sealing properties thru most any type of environment.
Lewster - You are so helpful to all of us on here. Thanks for every contribution you make. I need some of that butyl tape, but don't know where to buy it, or even exactly what to ask for. Can you guide me?
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheuer View Post
Lewster - You are so helpful to all of us on here. Thanks for every contribution you make. I need some of that butyl tape, but don't know where to buy it, or even exactly what to ask for. Can you guide me?
Thanks Greg,

Any well stocked RV dealer or Camping World should have it. Be sure that it is butyl tape and not ordinary putty tape.

Let me know if you can't find it and I will arrange to get you some.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster

Thanks Greg,

Any well stocked RV dealer or Camping World should have it. Be sure that it is butyl tape and not ordinary putty tape.

Great, Lew, and thanks. I'll visit a local store next week. On a related Off Topic did I read you will be a Balloon Fiesta this year in ABQ? I'd love to thank you personally perhaps with a complimentary adult beverage?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Thanks Greg,

Quote:
Great, Lew, and thanks. I'll visit a local store next week. On a related Off Topic did I read you will be a Balloon Fiesta this year in ABQ? I'd love to thank you personally perhaps with a complimentary adult beverage?
If you can't find butyl tape at your local RV place, I know our parts department sells it by the roll. I use it to install window awnings, as well as to seal around roof vents and windows in SOBs. There is such a thing as putty tape as well. IMHO, it's worse than useless, as it deteriorates and basically falls apart in a year or so. Make sure you specify butyl tape.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Another good source for butyl tape is industrial supply houses that sell caulking and other types of sealants. It is used extensively in the commercial/industrial building industry for sealing metal flashings. The chain in my area is Guaranteed Supply. I have also found it in some of the better stocked commercial lumber yards.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Well, Greg, now you know what you are looking for, and where to get it. If you have any problems, come back and ask, we'll happily tell you where to go...
Old 05-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
OK, BUTYL tape it is, and thanks for the advice to this newbie.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I thought I'd report back after going to the Zip Dee Awning factory with my daughter for her awning. Actually, I told her to report, but she's a busy mom & probably forgot! We dropped her Argosy Minuet off in the morning & showed them the Sikaflex that she wanted to be used for her install. After a few hours of shopping at Ikea & the mall, Zip Dee called her & said she was ready to go. When we got back, my daughter opened the door to the trailer & there was the tube of Sikaflex--unused..... I jumped up in the door to see what was used on the hardware & ---Gasp----it was clear silicone Well, there was a lack of communication between the installers & the man who checked us in, so they used what they always use & "what we've used for 30 plus years without any problems." I asked them to remove the hardware, wipe off the silicone, and replace it with Sikaflex. They didn't really think it was necessary, but I told them that my daughter spent a lot of money on it, it wasn't her mistake, and she would like to have the change made. They did all the changes--even had to run out to purchase a caulk gun to do it for her. We waited about an hour for it to be finished & she now has her beautiful custom color awning on her Minuet. Zip Dee has a very good customer service reputation, and it held up again! One thing that they forgot to install until we were there (and I'm glad they did so we could stop them) was a wheel on the door. They were going to put screws in the skin of the door for the wheel & said that they did with every install. So, if you don't want a wheel on your door, you had better specify that (strongly) before you drop it off at the Elk Grove Village, IL factory. So, the answer to the silicone question is "yes, they use silicone".

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 06-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
Thanks for the report. I decided against clear silicon and ordered 3 tubes of SikaFlex 241 in gray. I used one tube in installing my rear window awning and the Road side awning on a 25FB. It matches the gray caulking used on the original Patio Awning.

I must say that this stuff sets up quickly so if you use it on any install, you need to work quickly. Mine was "dry" in less than an hour when working at 90 degrees F and probably 70% humidity!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
Oops. I meany Sikaflex 221 in gray.