Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2007, 07:47 AM   #21

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We leave ours out most of the time when camping. If it's really windy, we'll put it in. If there is any rain in the forcast, we will lower the side opposite the door by one notch. If we go away from the Airstream for any length of time, we will put the awning in.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:37 AM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot321
My friend who spends the winter in south texas does leave his out all the time. He uses a 2-3 inch nylon strap running the long way of the awning placed about a foot from the outside edge. Each end is then attached to a fairly heavy spring which then fastens to an anchor in the ground. He also used the clips from camping world to attach the side of the awning to the braces.
I bought one of these straps years ago after having an awning arm on an SOB bend on me from the stiff breezes coming off the ocean at a beach front campsite. I've not used it with the Zip Dee yet since the Zip Dee seems to handle wind much better than any awning I've had on my SOB trailers. I'll be down in Florida next month close to the ocean (first time with an Airstream) so I might end up using the strap there.

Normally my criteria for putting the awning away is winds and weather and where we are at. The Zip Dees when configured with the side arms in a non extended mode really are pretty stable. First if it rains when they are in this state, there is no possibility of water pooling so weight won't be a factor. Secondly when down like this, they don't present as much surface for wind to get under. In non thunderstorm rain situations at night, I may lower each side down quite a bit, and in the day lower the side towards the rear of the trailer.

Obviously if I'm gone on a day trip and there is any chance of a thunderstorm, I'll play it safe and roll the awning up.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
FWIW, I roll mine out and keep it out unless bad weather is either forecasted or being happening. It's been out in 20mph winds and has not had an issue, but I don't think I'd have it out with even slightly higher winds.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:37 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
Better safe than sorry!

I was aware of most the safety concerns for awning use, but one sunny day I left it up to do some local touring. But when I returned to the camp site, I found that a small cloud burst had filled the awning with 40-50 gals. of water and bent one support arm and the awning tube. Yes, it was tied down and had one arm tilted down but not enough to prevent collecting a lot of water.

I've straighten the arm and some of the tube, but now the awning is always up unless I'm under it. That should be in the operators manual because of all the noted concerns in this forum. If your at your trailer, you can control what happen to the awning, but if your not, it should be stored. End of story!!
fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:12 PM   #25
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
follow Overlander63 .....wish I had that advice the 2 times our awnings got messed up
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote