Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Zip Dee Tropic Room Enclosure

I have also considered the screen option. I usually have to camp during the summer in Florida with the bugs. I called Zip Dee and it was around $1200 so I bought a screen room tent. It was awful the thing took forever to put together and then the arching frame around the bottom let the bugs in anyway. My last outing I was brushing nice big black and yellow spiders out of it. I hate spiders. I threw it out.

Then I tried again this time looking for something for one person and quick setup. I will attest that the Coleman Instant screen room is fantastic-about 10 min at most once you know what you are doing. The have two sizes a hex 10x10 and a 12x10. I got the smaller one for around $72. The bottom is lined so it is less likely to allow openings. It also will free stand. I can do it alone.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Arlington , Virginia
I have the Clam Mag screen house and it's everything it's advertised to be. I can definitely set it up on my own (average-sized female), in under five minutes. It is fairly long when folded up, but fits in the bed of our Tundra easily.
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:43 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Waycross , Georgia
Zip Dee Tropic Room

Just wanted to let folks know our experience with the Tropic Room. We purchased it for our 2005 31ft Airstream Classic in 2008. At that time the 21-22 foot room cost us $1132.00, including shipping.

Zip Dee was very helpful in getting us just the size we needed. We had the room shipped to our dealer and they installed it for us. Whew!

Speaking from a woman's perspective, I couldn't have been happier with it! It was beautiful and drew a lot of comments from passers by.

As far as bugs--it did an excellent job of keeping them out. It comes with a skirt that snaps into the side of the airstream to keep little critters from crawling out from under the Airstream and into the screen porch.

It gave us the feeling of having so much more space to sit and enjoy the outdoors. When we took some of our extended family camping with us, they actually opted to sleep outside on the "porch"--so it was kind of like having another room. We liked being able to leave our door open and walk in and out of the trailer without worrying about bugs coming in with us.

Now, from my husband's perspective--it did require a bit of time to set it up and break it down. Not complicated--just time. I usually helped him do it. The only thing to be aware of is that when installing it, you have to install snaps on your rv--they can become loose over time and if you aren't careful, will come off. We lost one of them over the years. Not bad though all things considered.

I'm speaking in past tense, as we sold our Airstream recently and with it our Tropic Room. I was very sad to see both go.

We bought a new 2016 25' Flying Cloud and am now itching to buy a Tropic Room for it! We hope to get it very soon, as I sure do miss our old one!

Just my two cents worth...
jhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Jh, did you ever put water in the bladders? So far I have not felt the need.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Waycross , Georgia
No--we never put water in either. We were tempted but figured getting the water completely out might be a bit of a problem...
Old 11-29-2016, 05:58 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Waycross , Georgia
Michael--I take it that you decided to get the Tropic Room. I also see you are from Biloxi. My question to you is...did you have Foley RV out of Gulfport install it? That's where we purchased our new AS. If so, would you mind telling me approx how much they charged for installation. Thanks!!
Old 11-29-2016, 06:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhudson View Post
Michael--I take it that you decided to get the Tropic Room. I also see you are from Biloxi. My question to you is...did you have Foley RV out of Gulfport install it? That's where we purchased our new AS. If so, would you mind telling me approx how much they charged for installation. Thanks!!
It came uninstalled with my trailer. I installed myself. Easy project, it only took a couple of hours to install the required snaps. The included instructions are clear and asy to understand. If you can pop rivet and use a screw driver it is a good DIY project.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 11-29-2016, 06:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhudson View Post
No--we never put water in either. We were tempted but figured getting the water completely out might be a bit of a problem...
thank you, my thought also.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Waycross , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
It came uninstalled with my trailer. I installed myself. Easy project, it only took a couple of hours to install the required snaps. The included instructions are clear and asy to understand. If you can pop rivet and use a screw driver it is a good DIY project.
Thank you very much for the info!

Tags
tropic room, tropic room enclosure, zip dee