Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2020, 07:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Lakeway , Texas
Zip Dee travel lock allignment

I am pretty handy but this one has me stumped. The forward travel lock will not align so that the locking device I not aligned parallel to the trailer side. We purchased used (2019 FC 27) so I can't confirm if it was installed incorrectly at the factory. If anyone can assist I would much appreciate it.

See Photo

thanks in advance to all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	travel lock.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	371070  
2019 Flying Cloud 27FB "Blanch"
Two Dogs in Tow
lsawye01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:07 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Elk Grove Village , Illinois
Hello, Zip Dee here! These do get mounted this way at the factory from time to time, and for whatever reason, it is usually the front clamp-wheel. In fact, it is this way on my own personal Airstream (19' Flying Cloud) Short of remounting the part, I've found that If I just pull the strap to the left as I close the awning, it usually will line up close enough to fasten the clamp-wheel. Also, as you tighten the wheel, it should pull the awning tightly into it. If you have any further questions, feel free to call customer service and bother Randy or Linda. They don't seem to have enough to do today!
ZipDee2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have a similar problem, although mine was misaligned in the N/S direction and yours is misaligned in the E/W. (If that makes sense)
Obviously, the roof clamp is attached to the rib with screws into the rivet line so it cannot move sideways, and was installed correctly.
I also see the two arms are lying next to each other so it's not a matter of sliding the entire awning rearward a 1/2" (Although I'd try)
Mine has the rear clamp misaligned. I even went as far as replacing some parts of the arms as a test, and although I cured one problem, I created another. After involving the dealer and all my ninja skills I gave up and admitted the parts aren't created to work all that well.
However, the good news for you is the travel wheel is a bit tapered, so when it's clamped down it can't slide out.
This was my post:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...el-197837.html
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Am I the only one that see's it? 🧐
That arm is bent.🥴

MD... Manual awning?
See the fabric? The aluminum should cover it.
When you are rolling it up let it go up all the way to make sure you won't loose the loop. Then pull it back out about 4' and let it go, it should roll up tighter so you can lock it.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D7CBB8E4-A555-4144-AC86-36F077AD96E0_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	371076  
Old 06-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
While I'm typing, Robert Cross has the same idea.

Just thinking out loud.
The arm that attaches to the extended roller, I believe is called the rafter arm, does it look bent left? I find mine have some wobble in the attachment points so it does move a bit.
A simple thing to try is to extend the awning, then as you furl it, tug it to the back a bit. It may move the tube enough to make a difference. Also, reverse the way you clamp the clamps, in other words if you always do the front first, try doing the rear first.
With the awning in the "Rally Mode", which is out but with the rafter arms in their shortest position, so there's little tension on the fabric, see if you can tug the whole awning back a 1/2" from a stepladder.
There's a canvas strip before the metal cover, that's how the awnings get installed, that strip is pulled in as the awning lays on the roof. It may move and it may not. Some glue the canvas in, or crimp the roof channel.
It could also be something as simple as that day ZipDee made the roller a 1/2" too long. (That gets my vote!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	travel lock.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	371077  
Old 06-24-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Calling Zip Dee.
First, Zip Dee is responsive to customers. And you don't have to fight the phone tree.
They're happy to sell you replacement parts at a reasonable cost. Shipping does add up because it's a long box.
The reason I claimed maybe parts aren't perfect is because when I ordered replacement parts they didn't match the original perfectly, the holes were off. So they don't use a jig and make it exact.
Here's the parts list, handy for nomenclature.
http://nebula.wsimg.com/36853a1e4185...&alloworigin=1
Old 06-24-2020, 10:03 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
^
Or AS did again what they did on our Classic and installed the arm out of plumb 3".

Bob
🇺🇸

Bottom rear arm...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2C8E4597-B947-4631-A339-0B7304C61AE6_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	371082  
Old 06-24-2020, 10:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^
Or AS did again what they did on our Classic and installed the arm out of plumb 3".

Bob
🇺🇸

Bottom rear arm...
In my case and the OP's, I suspect, the main arm does not attach to the bottom seam. Mine attaches with another clamp on the rivet line about a foot above the floor.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:57 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
Zip Dee

For what it is worth. Mine acts up from time to time and won’t align properly. I carry long zip ties for those times. Works great and just cut them to use awning.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn.Ken View Post
For what it is worth. Mine acts up from time to time and won’t align properly. I carry long zip ties for those times. Works great and just cut them to use awning.
Probably a good idea.
I'm guilty of always thinking I can make things better, so I try to fix stuff. In my case I believe the correct "fix" is to move the roof clamp, but I'm not willing to drill four new holes in the roof.
So, I'm accepting the "good enough" solution. (for now)
Old 06-25-2020, 03:02 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Mine has done that at time or two and I take a block of nylon or wood
and tap the awning where it attaches in the slot of the trailer chanel where it attaches. It has a screw on each end to keep it from moving too far either direction. I can usually get it centered up pretty good so the locks will align.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote