Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2014, 05:14 AM   #1
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Zip Dee Sungard

We are interested in getting a "Sungard" for our awning, and of course looked at Zip Dee's offering, haven't priced it yet, and wondered if anyone had one, or if there is something else available? There are a lot of times I wished we had more shade, but wanted to know first hand experiences before the purchase.
Thanks
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
Mill Creek , Washington
I made my own. I bought all the parts from Home Depot. This is what you will need.

- Shade fabric material (comes in different colors)
- Grommet kit
- Plastic tarp clamps
- Parachute cord
- Small tent stakes

1. Cut the shade material to the dimension you want and add 2 inches to fold over. (It easily folds and stays folded)

2. Measure out where you want to install your grommets. (e.g. four corners only or equidistant along the bottom and top)

3. Fold material and install grommets.

4. When your shade portion is complete, cut the same number of parachute cord pieces as the number of grommets along the top edge. Cut them approximately 12 inches long.

5. Thread the parachute cord through the tarp clamp hole and one of the grommets and tie it off. Repeat this until the top edge is complete.

6. For the bottom grommet positions cut your parachute cord approximately 3 feet long. (This is so you can adjust the angle to the shade)

7. Attach the top of your shade to your awning using the tarp clamps.

8. After deciding the angle of your shade, thread the 3 foot parachute cord through your lower grommets then tie it off to your tent stakes.
JKCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile shade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCA View Post
I made my own. I bought all the parts from Home Depot. This is what you will need.

- Shade fabric material (comes in different colors)
- Grommet kit
- Plastic tarp clamps
- Parachute cord
- Small tent stakes

1. Cut the shade material to the dimension you want and add 2 inches to fold over. (It easily folds and stays folded)

2. Measure out where you want to install your grommets. (e.g. four corners only or equidistant along the bottom and top)

3. Fold material and install grommets.

4. When your shade portion is complete, cut the same number of parachute cord pieces as the number of grommets along the top edge. Cut them approximately 12 inches long.

5. Thread the parachute cord through the tarp clamp hole and one of the grommets and tie it off. Repeat this until the top edge is complete.

6. For the bottom grommet positions cut your parachute cord approximately 3 feet long. (This is so you can adjust the angle to the shade)

7. Attach the top of your shade to your awning using the tarp clamps.

8. After deciding the angle of your shade, thread the 3 foot parachute cord through your lower grommets then tie it off to your tent stakes.
Very good idea, also would work for ezup or any shade canopy. I substitute tent stakes w/long pole barn nails that I have a lot of & use large fender washers w/hole size of nail dia. I use these for outdoor mat, ezup tie down or any where you need anchors. Lots of pole barn nails & washers lot less money than tent stakes & easier to get. Also makes good privacy screen.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote