Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2021, 02:07 PM   #1

2020 23' Globetrotter
Farmington , Michigan
Zip dee Relax Awning issue

Hello folks, I have an issue with the awning on our 2020 23fb twin Globetrotter. We’ve bought it about a month ago pre-owned and at the first night camping, the awning was closed and around 2am started to open by itself and scared the heck out of us, I quickly ran to the panel and pressed the close button, it worked fine and I powered off the awning controller. We thought it was some kind of isolated event until next trip iwe experienced something else… after opening one day and closing fine, next day it went dead and stopped opening for good. LEDs indicating closed, after pressing to open it would just blink status then back to closed. I tried to search online and found one video mentioning it was possible to reset the main board, I then decided to open the control panel in the wall to take a look, it was when I was surprised to find some water damage into the Ethernet cable that comes from the awning main board, very odd, I’m still trying to find out where this water is coming from, not sure if from the rain, but I was not able to find this main controller board so far... Attaching here some pictures of the water damage that I was able to clean and now it’s back working opening and closing fine so far. Problem is to find where this moisture is coming from, apparently it’s inside the cable blue insulation or even from the white fiber inside the cable. Anybody’s seen anything similar? Also, does anyone know where the main controller board would be located so I can follow the cable and see if there is water in the other side? Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC126F25-2BE7-4CD4-AED1-2DD0B14FCBF5.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	406261   Click image for larger version

Name:	E149683A-61BE-4E81-9301-FD330C9BF363.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	406262  

Cris-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
It is usually in the cabinet under the sink. Perhaps the water damage is from a plumbing leak in the trailer?
Attached Images

thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:18 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You could immerse the cable that's inside the blue insulation in salt water and not have any issues. Water in the connector on the end of the cable, yes that is a problem.

The controller board is on the same side of the trailer as your awning. If that's the kitchen, it's under the sink. If your layout flips things, it's under something else.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:43 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Also check where the wiring goes to the motor outside. Awning brackets may be installed over seams in the outside skin and water can get in there if not sealed properly. I don't know if the wiring goes through that area, but any penetration in the skin is a place to check for water intrusion. If the awning now works properly and you did not reset something, it resets itself after a time delay or just dried out. If it rained or you washed the trailer before the awning failed, that is a clue.

Or, an insect could have caused the circuit to close and open the awning before he was incinerated. Water could also do that. Airstreams leak a lot and water damage could have nothing or everything to do with this. The circuit board could be cracked and contacts lose contact triggering an opening, then opening more with travel and nothing works, then coming back together with more travel.

The possibilities are many and investigating will teach you a lot about your trailer.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

You could immerse the cable that's inside the blue insulation in salt water and not have any issues. Water in the connector on the end of the cable, yes that is a problem.

The controller board is on the same side of the trailer as your awning. If that's the kitchen, it's under the sink. If your layout flips things, it's under something else.

Bob
Yes, this. The control board will be quite close to the awning control switch. In your case it is likely somewhere behind your dinette.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:28 AM   #6

2020 23' Globetrotter
Farmington , Michigan
I will check the dinette again, it’s not on the existing openings so I may have to take more stuff apart. Here is the layout and marked in red where the control switch is by the door, behind it ia the shower. I will check the bathroom sink as well.

Thanks for the information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20D54D17-73C5-4471-A620-5BBB36A7CEC8.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	406309  
Old 10-15-2021, 08:33 AM   #7

2020 23' Globetrotter
Farmington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Also check where the wiring goes to the motor outside. Awning brackets may be installed over seams in the outside skin and water can get in there if not sealed properly. I don't know if the wiring goes through that area, but any penetration in the skin is a place to check for water intrusion. If the awning now works properly and you did not reset something, it resets itself after a time delay or just dried out. If it rained or you washed the trailer before the awning failed, that is a clue.

Or, an insect could have caused the circuit to close and open the awning before he was incinerated. Water could also do that. Airstreams leak a lot and water damage could have nothing or everything to do with this. The circuit board could be cracked and contacts lose contact triggering an opening, then opening more with travel and nothing works, then coming back together with more travel.

The possibilities are many and investigating will teach you a lot about your trailer.
I will check the roof as well, it was raining but we also were using the trailer…. Shower, sinks etc, so it’s to be consider indeed. From the diagram that cable is going to the main controller, but water could have made its way from a leak in the roof or plumbing.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:03 AM   #8
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris-m View Post
Hello folks, I have an issue with the awning on our 2020 23fb twin Globetrotter. We’ve bought it about a month ago pre-owned and at the first night camping, the awning was closed and around 2am started to open by itself and scared the heck out of us, I quickly ran to the panel and pressed the close button, it worked fine and I powered off the awning controller. We thought it was some kind of isolated event until next trip iwe experienced something else… after opening one day and closing fine, next day it went dead and stopped opening for good. LEDs indicating closed, after pressing to open it would just blink status then back to closed. I tried to search online and found one video mentioning it was possible to reset the main board, I then decided to open the control panel in the wall to take a look, it was when I was surprised to find some water damage into the Ethernet cable that comes from the awning main board, very odd, I’m still trying to find out where this water is coming from, not sure if from the rain, but I was not able to find this main controller board so far... Attaching here some pictures of the water damage that I was able to clean and now it’s back working opening and closing fine so far. Problem is to find where this moisture is coming from, apparently it’s inside the cable blue insulation or even from the white fiber inside the cable. Anybody’s seen anything similar? Also, does anyone know where the main controller board would be located so I can follow the cable and see if there is water in the other side? Thanks for the help.
Hi Cris-m,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 10-15-2021, 12:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Make sure your plumbing pipes beneath kitchen sink are tightly closed. I had the ring there get loose on me once so now check them periodically. I hope your leak is that simple.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:55 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Normandy Park , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris-m View Post
I will check the dinette again, it’s not on the existing openings so I may have to take more stuff apart. Here is the layout and marked in red where the control switch is by the door, behind it ia the shower. I will check the bathroom sink as well.

Thanks for the information.
I am currently working on a leak in the shower on my 25RB... there is no gasket or seal around the faucet, and water is leaking behind it. Maybe you have a similar issue and that's how the cable is getting wet.
Searunair is offline   Reply With Quote