Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2020, 10:29 PM   #1
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Zip Dee Relax awning - control board upgrade

A while back there was a thread going on about a new prototype control board that allowed for a much greater tilt angle for shedding rain water.

Anyone have any updates to share?

When I last called zip Dee they told me “we only produced two of those prototype control boards, you’re not supposed to know about those and we can’t tell you when they might be available”.

I haven’t gotten around to calling them for a follow up. On my 30’ I would certainly enjoy a greater rear tilt angle so I can keep the awning deployed during rain, without concern of sagging/pooling, like I used to do with my manual version.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:00 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
ZipDee Switch Replacement

I have not replaced the control board.

I HAVE REPLACED THE ZIPDEE SWITCH!

My 2016 Classic originally had a ZipDee switch that DID NOT have an on/off switch. I did not even think about this until I met a fellow Airstreamer on a road trip in Nova Scotia who brought this to attention. He said that there have been situations where the awning opened while intransit.

I called ZipDee and purchased a switch with an on/off switch (see attachments). I now travel with more confidence that the awning won't cause me intransit problems.

Travel safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0852.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	360999  
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:39 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Thanks. Different issue. 2017+ had this power switch integrated to the panel (mine came standard with the power switch).

The control board programming is a different enhancement
Old 11-25-2020, 08:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
tilt improvement

Not being satisifed with the tilt limits on my Relax awning, I contacted Zip Dee a couple of weeks ago to see if they could help. They offered to change the limits via a software modification. So, for the cost of shipping the control box both ways, they made the change for me on the rear only. I can now tilt the rear to the maximum travel limit of the arm. Pretty good customer service, 2 week turn around and only cost me about $30 for shipping. Well worth it. If anyone would like the same mod, just contact Zip Dee's customer service department.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:33 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2017 30' Classic
Summerville , South Carolina
I just changed my control board also. More rear tilt. The cables to the board just plug in, so it was an easy change. As Greg said the cost is shipping both ways.
Captain Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:58 AM   #6
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Seeet! This is on my list of to-do!
Old 04-19-2021, 08:43 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Niantic , Connecticut
I’m planning to upgrade my board as well...can you tell me where AS mounted the board?
Chris0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Does anyone know how much more (or less?) the tilt on a Classic 33 is? When I took delivery of the trailer, the board was handed to me by the delivery tech, along with 54 remote controls and a few other gadgets. He said "The awning control is built in to the trailer's electronic controls, so Airstream doesn't use this board for your trailer. Merry Christmas." I know I can tilt the awning, but after only 13 nights of use, I don't yet know if it's got enough angle....And what would I want with this control board, anyway?
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:37 AM   #9
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I believe it's CZONE or ZipDee controller. Not both. Since you have CZONE, that board is of no value.

That may make things difficult if you need / want to re-program for more tilt in the rear. Because I have ZipDee control board (not CZONE) on my 30' I was able to mail ZipDee my board and they re-programed it for more rear tilt at no charge.

Now rear tilt goes almost all the way down to where the bend in the arm meets the casing - a noticeable difference with more tilt. I am happy.

I would call airstream regarding how to re-program CZONE control of the ZipDee rear arm.

Chris0408 - my board was mounted under the sink which is near the front door in my 30'.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I believe it's CZONE or ZipDee controller. Not both. Since you have CZONE, that board is of no value.

That may make things difficult if you need / want to re-program for more tilt in the rear. Because I have ZipDee control board (not CZONE) on my 30' I was able to mail ZipDee my board and they re-programed it for more rear tilt at no charge.

Now rear tilt goes almost all the way down to where the bend in the arm meets the casing - a noticeable difference with more tilt. I am happy.

I would call airstream regarding how to re-program CZONE control of the ZipDee rear arm..
While I was trying to be a bit humorous with my questions, I do have a legitimate one. I know the CZone controller runs the awning, rendering the ZipDee board obsolete. What I don't know is if the factory CZone programming allows sufficient front/rear awning rake. It would appear to have enough, but our trailer is sufficiently new that we have not yet been caught in a steady rain to investigate.

Anyone able to share their experience with this?
Old 04-19-2021, 12:28 PM   #11
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
My experience is that you need full tilt in the rear on a 30 or 33' to adequately shed water. My 30' trailer came from the factory with ZipDee control board with only partial tilt programmed. I would suspect your trailer is configured the same (partial tilt) by default.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
My experience is that you need full tilt in the rear on a 30 or 33' to adequately shed water. My 30' trailer came from the factory with ZipDee control board with only partial tilt programmed. I would suspect your trailer is configured the same (partial tilt) by default.
Thanks. I'll be sure to investigate when we take the trailer out again, which won't be until the end of next month.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:42 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Does this retro fit in the same hole? Would you provide some details on the installation?
Thanks.
gbnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 04:39 PM   #14
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbnichols;
Does this retro fit in the same hole? Would you provide some details on the installation?

Thanks.

No sure what you mean by “fit the same hole”. You simply remove the control board enclosure located inside the trailer, ship to zipdee, re-install when they return it.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:01 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
No sure what you mean by “fit the same hole”. You simply remove the control board enclosure located inside the trailer, ship to zipdee, re-install when they return it.
It looked like the switch plate with the "on-off" switch incorporated was larger than the original without the switch that came with my 2016 Classic.
I was wondering if you had to do any cutting on that cabinet wall to accommodate the new larger switch plate?
Sounds like you did not.
I just don't want to start a project that may be beyond my expertise!
Thanks.
gbnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:13 AM   #16
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Zip Dee Relax awning - control board upgrade

The switch plate is not affected by the upgrade. You either have an on/off switch or you do not.

The only component effected is the control board, which is located in a different location in your unit (don’t send them the switch, you need to locate / remove / send the control board).

Mine was under my sink near the front door. It should be located curb side at the front or back of the trailer.

On your 30’ should be under the sink, just like mine was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3551.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	410181