Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2021, 08:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Arkansas
Zip Dee Relax Awing trouble

We have a brand new 2021 International 27FB. The first couple of days our power swing worked fine. On our first trip we tried to open the swing and it went out about one and a half feet and froze there. It then would not do anything leaving us to manual retract it. After doing so we tried again and the same thing happened. Any tips? Thanks
Corley795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:02 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
We use a process that has prevented this (it happened to us as well before we started this process). Always, always, always hit retract before hitting extend.

The controller will forget where ‘home is’ but when it is fully retracted, hitting retract activates and it realizes it has hit its limit and it sets that location as fully retracted.

Also, we have a lazy side that needs help. I always help it. That helps me watch that I am not too close to a tree as well.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
Many threads on this subject but as LilPeanut mentioned, always hit the close button before open. That resets the motor. We had issues with our rear tilt not working in our brand new 21' International as well. Turns out it was an installation error by Airstream at that was pinching the wires on the rear arm and causing a short. All replaced under warranty and now works fine. Remember to run that close cycle and also keep the power button off when not in use
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 12:25 PM   #4
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley795 View Post
We have a brand new 2021 International 27FB. The first couple of days our power swing worked fine. On our first trip we tried to open the swing and it went out about one and a half feet and froze there. It then would not do anything leaving us to manual retract it. After doing so we tried again and the same thing happened. Any tips? Thanks
Hi Corley795,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more and share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 03-23-2021, 09:39 PM   #5
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpeanut;
we use a process that has prevented this (it happened to us as well before we started this process). Always, always, always hit retract before hitting extend.

The controller will forget where ‘home is’ but when it is fully retracted, hitting retract activates and it realizes it has hit its limit and it sets that location as fully retracted.

Also, we have a lazy side that needs help. I always help it. That helps me watch that i am not too close to a tree as well.

^^^^^^^^ x2!
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:11 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Along with hitting Close before Open, we had a similar problem until I gave the arms a couple of shots of white lithium grease. A little grease and running the awning out and back a couple of times took care of the problem (for now, anyway).
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:35 AM   #7
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
The New electric "Relax Awning" is an oxymoron (IMHO)
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:30 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Victoria , British Columbia
After living with the Relax awning for several years I can attest that that the system is truly the work of the devil. I have tried every suggested solution...lithium grease, silicone lube, pressing “close” before every cycle, hanging a St. Christopher Awning Operation Protector on the awning. The only accomplishment has been a totally unpredictable, frustrating experience. I even had ZipDee look at it at an Alumapalooza rally, and they just walked away from it. It is so sad to pay so much for a premium coach, and drag around a few hundred pounds of dead weight from fear of opening it and not being able to close it.
From my own personal experience, ZipDee Relax awnings are a huge s**t stain on Airstreams reputation.
Camr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:31 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
2019 25' International
McKinney , TX
we had the same problem, and the recommendations provided above do work. also, please remember to never turn the power off when the awning is open, only when closed.
Jkohnle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkohnle View Post
we had the same problem, and the recommendations provided above do work. also, please remember to never turn the power off when the awning is open, only when closed.

^^^ so true, was doing some electrical work and did this, took several resets to get things back to normal.

We find the awning in general to work just fine as long as you remember the tricks mentioned above
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Everything Bcc75 said except do NOT turn the switch to Off while awning is open, only after you’ve retracted it.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
There is nothing "Relax" about these awnings. I have had to replace my control board twice and both awning arms. As my trailer was 3 years old when the trouble started, the repairs were at my expense. The first time I tried the awning after I got it home from the dealer, where both arms and the control board were replaced, it went out 2ft and stopped. I managed to retract it, and that is where it sits.

Every time I see an AS with the manual awing, I get jealous. If swapping out to a manual awning was not so expensive, I would make the switch in a heartbeat. As I have thousands of $s already tied up in the "Relax" awning, that can't happen.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkohnle View Post
also, please remember to never turn the power off when the awning is open, only when closed.

I have experience that says this advice is most excellent. But what happens when you lose power when the awing is deployed? This happened to me last weekend when my battery terminal fuse blew. I tried closing the awning after restoring electrical power, but the controller was confused and didn't start rolling up until the extension arms were completely retracted--meanwhile, the door was open. At some point, I ended up with an awning halfway closed--any further and the support arms would crash against the door, and it wouldn't deploy outward. I couldn't close the door, as the awning arm was in the way.

All that to say this: What should one do when the awning is deployed and you unexpectedly lose power?

I eventually got it sorted out, but the owner manual was useless and ZipDee wasn't going to answer phones at 8pm on a Sunday evening.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:21 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Sonoma , California
Switched out for manual

After many issues with our power awning, we converted to a manual awning. No more worrying about the electric controls or it getting stuck and the effing winding tool. Sometimes technology just gets in the way... and I work in tech. Keep it simple.
chipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Ours has been bipolar from the start. Though it has been functioning well lately. Must be the meds.

Pray
Push switch to on.
Hit close button.
Hit open button.
Hit tilt rear. Always hit tilt rear again before hitting close.
Never turn off switch when deployed.

We've had it a few inches out, a foot and a half or so out, 3 feet out, super low mode, cranking, deploying, motors whizzing, arms outstretched, door in precarious position, all the aforementioned insanity.

very relaxing.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipr View Post
After many issues with our power awning, we converted to a manual awning. No more worrying about the electric controls or it getting stuck and the effing winding tool. Sometimes technology just gets in the way... and I work in tech. Keep it simple.

What was the cost to convert?

Ours had been reliable until a couple of days ago when one of the motors sounded like it’s self destructing.. working with a dealer now on repair, but if it happens again might convert to simple.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:05 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
We simply jiggle the rear arm as it extends and that seems to fix the problem.
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:10 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' International
St Augustine , Florida
I had same problem on my 2020 27fb
I had it in for service and they changed out the rubber bumpers with new larger ones
this helps push the arms out to extend the awning
Seems to be working

I also hit close before opening
and leave on while camping
The Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 03:54 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Asheboro , North Carolina
Power awning

I so want a power awning. But I can’t believe what a company with previous reputation has put out and can’t seem to fix and how AS puts up with it at this price level. We put a man on the moon in 1969 and every entry level RV has a power awning.......
I keep hoping for a solution, in the mean time I will keep tugging on my manual awning
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipr View Post
Can you provide details on what you needed to do and what it cost to convert it to manual?

I really have become very adept, a bit of an expert actually, on manually opening and retracting my Relax awning. This should never be the case, but out of necessity, I have had to manually open and close it many more times than automatically.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote