Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2021, 12:26 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
I really have become very adept, a bit of an expert actually, on manually opening and retracting my Relax awning.
Any tips, tricks, and gimmicks you’ve learned would be greatly appreciated to have documented here.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:07 PM   #22
Clyde&Lorene

2021 33FB Classic
Morgan Hill , California
Yes, I'd like some tips and tricks too. We've used our power awning about 6 times in 5 months and careful about retracting with windy situations (yes, windy a lot!). Today, the awning extended way up above the Airstream then fell hard forward into position. As a result, a few inches of awning on top front corner fell out of its tube.
We're going to try to repair as best we can, but I recall someone saying the manual awning is more reliable. I wonder if Airstream will replace power with manual awning under warranty? Trailer is just a few months old.
Thank you for any advice offered.
tymcknobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
Any tips, tricks, and gimmicks you’ve learned would be greatly appreciated to have documented here.
The one important thing I learned when manually opening the Relax awning is to move back and forth between unwinding the awning and extending the arms. If you do one, or the other too much at once, you will run into difficulties.

I start with extending each arm 8-10", then unfurl the awning a few feet. then back to the arms. The trick is to not unroll the awing too far, or you will not be able to get your drill and arm winding tool into the bottom of the awing arm as the bottom of the arm angles toward the trailer, the further out the awing is unrolled.

The other trick is to know the maximum distance your arms can safely be extended, or retracted without causing more damage than there already is. Measure this now, while your awning works, and put it somewhere you can find it if you need to. That way you can measure the arms as you are extending or retracting them and not go too far.

Similarly, when you are manually unrolling the awning using the jumper cables that come with your trailer, make sure that you do not keep power applied to the cable after the awning is unwound, or fully wound back up, lest you risk burning the awing motor. For those of you who are scratching your head, your trailer came with a jumper cable that can be connected to your pos and neg battery terminals on one end, and the other plugs into the awing motor located on the top front arm. You will need a ladder, or the tailgate of your truck, to stand on to reach the plug, disconnect it from the trailer wiring and plug in the other end of the jumper cable.

I had to do the above on the second day of a 3-month road trip from home to SoCal. Going without the awning in Calif in the summer was not an option.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 05:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymcknobel View Post
Yes, I'd like some tips and tricks too. We've used our power awning about 6 times in 5 months and careful about retracting with windy situations (yes, windy a lot!). Today, the awning extended way up above the Airstream then fell hard forward into position. As a result, a few inches of awning on top front corner fell out of its tube.
We're going to try to repair as best we can, but I recall someone saying the manual awning is more reliable. I wonder if Airstream will replace power with manual awning under warranty? Trailer is just a few months old.
Thank you for any advice offered.
I had this happen, once! Same result. The trick here is to have your partner gently pull on one of the awning arms as you are opening it. That way it begins to lower as soon as it starts unrolling. Sometimes the rubber that is between the arms and the trailer designed to push the arm away from the trailer as you are opening it, is too stiff and does not do its job.

If you are doing this alone, then hit the open button, and as quickly as you can reach it, pull the closest arm away from the trailer until it moves away on its own. Usually, a foot or so and you will be good.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
After have it the Relax on my 2020 international and now a manual on my 2021 FC. Im happily dealing with the 3:45 seconds it takes to extend my manual awning.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:48 PM   #26
Clyde&Lorene

2021 33FB Classic
Morgan Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
Similarly, when you are manually unrolling the awning using the jumper cables that come with your trailer, make sure that you do not keep power applied to the cable after the awning is unwound, or fully wound back up, lest you risk burning the awing motor. For those of you who are scratching your head, your trailer came with a jumper cable that can be connected to your pos and neg battery terminals on one end, and the other plugs into the awing motor located on the top front arm. You will need a ladder, or the tailgate of your truck, to stand on to reach the plug, disconnect it from the trailer wiring and plug in the other end of the jumper cable.
Thank you for the advice and the power cable for the awning motor...had no idea! We are just sort of guiding the arms out now, each of us on one end and no more problems so far. With some pliers, my husband was able to tuck back in the loose fabric on the corner, so that is fixed for the time being. It is great having the awnings and they sure make a difference with the temperature! We are parked with no shade trees or structures nearby, so it's good to have them.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:01 PM   #27
Clyde&Lorene

2021 33FB Classic
Morgan Hill , California
TheWarden: Ah, your advice is the solution. We now assist guiding the awning out those first couple feet and no more crazy deployment! Thank you!