Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2022, 05:06 PM   #1

2017 30' Classic
Olympia , Washington
Zip dee power awning

My power awning deployed about a foot and stopped. I closed it and now nothing, it won’t open. I was once told there is a reset for the awning but where is it. 2017 Airstream Classic
Theaztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:40 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Close it and then press the close button again - that’s the simple reset. If that doesn’t do the trick, there is a tiny reset button on the computer that is hidden in the cabinet. If that doesn’t work, lubricate the awning (there are some videos on YouTube). Also, give the awning a bit of help by moving the main arms away from the airstream, you might be parked with a slight lateral tilt.

I know every possible way of resetting the awning, but ultimately, and I had the same issue as you, both arms had to be replaced.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Try reseating the electrical connectors to the board. I thought my awning had died but the connections had come loose just a tad.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:09 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' International
Lakewood , Washington
Trouble shooting

A week ago, I had complete failure with opening and closing my awning. The unit is new and has sat for the past 5 winter months. The 1st episode was the awning opened and sounded strained and slow. Tried to close and the fuse popped. Replaced the fuse and closed the awning and secured it for the evening.
The next attempt, I incurred no response from the wall switch. I called the Zip Dee technician and walked through LED light sequences on the board and moving the ethernet cable to another port. After a while, it was suggested I request and pay for a board swap. Once they receive the board exchange, they would reimburse me for a warranty issue. The Airstream dealership was 3 months out to get an appointment for the same conclusion. Thanked him and said I would get back on Monday after I put cable back in place.
I started getting chatter from the relays, when I attempted to open. The chatter from the 3 relays wasn't sounding right and the awning opened in partial movements. The chatter stopped and the awning fully opened in a down position and closed several times. I smacked the arm with my hand and the next cycle it extended too correctly open and close. I repeated the process 6 more times and it worked properly from that point on.
The conclusion is the circuit board ethernet or the switches ethernet connection may have then seated properly because a substituted cable was placed in the setup while troubleshooting and the originals were then reconnected. Thats when the board started to respond somewhat again. The circuit board sensors also had to relearn the full movement of the awning and that was through several cycles of full extensions and closures.