Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2021, 07:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Zip Dee manual awning hard to lock

I’m having an issue securing my awning. I can get the two screw down clamps in place on both ends, though struggling with the hook. The hook is a little high, it won’t grab the hole in the bracket. It’s almost as if the awning isn’t wrapping tight enough when recoiling. I have a good 1.5-2” of Sunbella visible when completely retracted. Any ideas?
Old 06-19-2021, 07:51 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
I’m having an issue securing my awning. I can get the two screw down clamps in place on both ends, though struggling with the hook. The hook is a little high, it won’t grab the hole in the bracket. It’s almost as if the awning isn’t wrapping tight enough when recoiling. I have a good 1.5-2” of Sunbella visible when completely retracted. Any ideas?
You are most likely creating your own problem. I have found that you need to secure the little hook FIRST while there is still a little flexibility in the hook-to-loop positioning. Then do the screw clamps on the ends.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
When you open the awning, does it stay in place without you having to have a hand on it? If that's the case, then it may be that you are correct, and your awning needs to have the spring tightened a turn or 2. It can be done by 2 people carefully (spring is under tension and can go out of control if you're not careful). I think ZipDee has instructions for this on their website.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Easy step one.
While furling the awning, let it slam closed the last foot.
If the awning spring is wound properly, the roller tube will stay still as the awning is extended all the way. It should just be on the verge of rolling.
The hook is held to the cover with a screw. Try a washer or two under the hook, gaining you a tiny bit of room.

I've learned the Zip Dee manual awning is a collection of man made parts, and if you find one that furls and unfurls perfectly, you're a rare winner. Most require some fiddling.

IF you choose to add tension, here's the procedure. *The arms are under spring tension, and they will try to injure you if you let go. Never get in the plane where the arm could spin and hit you. I have the bruise to show.*
1. Have a helper. Put the rear of the roller unfurled on a stepladder.
2. disconnect the lower arm where it attaches to the trailer.
3. Carefully slide the hollow awning arm off the upper support arm. Hold on firmly to the upper support arm.
4. Holding the upper support arm firmly, turn the arm one turn around the roller, clockwise, adding tension.
5. Replace the hollow awning arm, and reattach to the lower awning support arm/trailer.
6. test.
A turn goes a long way in tension. The rule of thumb is the number of turns is equal to the length of the tube in feet + 7. The seven is the number of turns to deploy the awning away from the trailer.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Thanks guys, I will watch the video and tighten when I reach my next destination.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:23 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Dayton , Ohio
Zip Dee manual awning hard to lock

We have a 2020 Caravel 16RB and this is a regular occurrence. The problem is that the manufacturer Airstream is not always super good with the tolerances of the original installation of the mounted screw latches in relation to the Zipp Dee tolerances. Jiggling the arms, pushing the refusing arm to change the slot location, re-closing the awning, and other ad hoc strategies has always ultimately worked. It is simple an installation reality.
ta1cruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:28 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
Manual Zip Dee Awning Retract

We have the manual awning. I guide the center strap fore and aft while the awning retracts to reduce the coiled volume of the strap. We also use a short line in the strap loop.

We let the awning slam shut, then a light tug on the line to make sure the loop is accessible. Remove the line and we're all set.

The awning secures easily with this approach.
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:36 AM   #8
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
To make life easy we use a "step" (which subs as a low table) this way I simple stand on it screw the wheels by hand. This allow me to ensure everything is in-line and takes only a few seconds to screw them down. I still use the "rod" to flip the hook in place. If you do the YouTube thing you will discover AS owners often use some sort of "step". Faster and easier to secure to awning.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Ahwww; the old "manual awning deployment/retraction" questions! We actually attended a couple of "awning instructional" demonstrations at Alumalina, and also watched the Youtubes on this...which are great! We had loose hook on last 2 new AS's we purchased...new, AS includes a little plastic bag with some substance to put on the hook screw, making it very tight. They applied it to ours last visit to JC couple years ago, and it's still tight.

When putting away the awning, I secure the screw-hook first. Once secure, I go to the rear screw down and manipulate the two "arms" to ease the screwdown into the slot and use the long wand rod to tighten. Then I get on the front step and do the forward latch same way, manipulating the two rods to align the screw lock. But watch the Youtube videos...even the one by Colonial is very good...you never know too much, right?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:45 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
Oil where it rotates before your screw around with the springs. I thought I had a issue with mine. But oiling it took care of the problem. When was the last time you oiled it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
When you open the awning, does it stay in place without you having to have a hand on it? If that's the case, then it may be that you are correct, and your awning needs to have the spring tightened a turn or 2. It can be done by 2 people carefully (spring is under tension and can go out of control if you're not careful). I think ZipDee has instructions for this on their website.

Kay
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
Oil where it rotates before your screw around with the springs. I thought I had a issue with mine. But oiling it took care of the problem. When was the last time you oiled it?
Kilroy

Oil of choice?

And where exactly did you apply?

I will assume a light engine oil, applied to the axles near the ZipDee aluminum hubs
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:50 AM   #12

2006 23' Safari SE
thunder bay , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
watch youtube video
narita1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:02 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I bought a mew caravel last year and to get my hook adjusted. Also buying a foldable step stool helped not using the stupid hook that usually scratches the area
NM Caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraclassic View Post
Kilroy

Oil of choice?

And where exactly did you apply?

I will assume a light engine oil, applied to the axles near the ZipDee aluminum hubs
ZipDee recommends silicone spray lube.
They also WARN to NEVER use WD-40 on awning parts.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
Never, it’s 4 months old
Old 06-19-2021, 10:14 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
I was always struggling on setting up and taking down our manual awning until I watched this video a few times. I also added a little silicone spray here and there and now everything is going smooth and easy!

BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote