Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Auburn , Alabama
Zip Dee Installation

Received my new Zip Dee awning for my 1975 Tradewind earlier this week. Ran into a problem with the install...I have mounted the bottom two hinges with no issues but...When I tried to mount the front clamp assy at the top curve of the camper, the frame to the vista view window is partially in the way. Has anyone else had this issue?
barron64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
This happened on my recent installation, too. Although, I had mine installed rather that DIY. The install shop ended up having to build-up aluminum next to the frame to level things out and had to forego using one screw in the upper bracket because it would have meant drilling through the frame and into the glass. Maybe Zip-Dee has a special bracket for this case?
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I had the exact same issue when installing the patio awning on my 75 TW. ZipDee suggested that I shim up the bracket with some gasket material, but I thought that it was too big a gap to just shim. Instead I ground down the backside of the bracket to fit over the frame of the vista view window. It's been over 5 years and it still looks good and holds well.

This was the problem
Click image for larger version

Name:	latch.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	158643

This was the fix

Name:	repair.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	158645

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Auburn , Alabama
Thanks for the input...Just got off the phone with Zip Dee and they said the same thing about shimming it. I had not thought about grinding down the back of the clamp assy but that may be the easier path to take. Just wish something would bolt up easy sometimes without a lot of hassle.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Auburn , Alabama
Decided to grind down the back side of the clamp assy using an angle grinder and a dremel tool. Worked out well. Another issue I ran into was the location of the rear bottom hinge bracket. I followed the pop rivit line down the seam to mount the hinge as per the instructions. After I installed the rear awning arm and folded it up it was not straight with the seam. Puzzled and pissed off at the same time, thinking I would have to remove and remount the hinge, I stood back and took a look at the seam and rivit line. Looks like whomever did the riviting on that seam, 37 yrs ago, had a bad day. The rivit line drifts off towards the front of the camper as you move down towards the bottom of the seam. To solve the issue I just drilled out the awning arm, where it mounts to the hinge, to the next size up. This gave me enough slop to allow the arm to fold up straight.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Like so much with Airstreams, it comes down to a matter of "hammer to shape and file to fit."

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
AZflycaster, that install looks fantastic. Great solution, and far more secure (and better looking) than an overly thick shim, I'd say.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Auburn , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM View Post
Like so much with Airstreams, it comes down to a matter of "hammer to shape and file to fit."

Looks like I will need a bigger hammer and a sharper file to finish this job...After getting everything installed I ran into this issue. Looks like the awning ia maybe 1" too long or the ribs are maybe 1" too close together...I tend to believe the latter. The front clamp assy fits fine when the awning is rolled up. The rear however is maybe an 1" out. My plan is to remove the two locating screws in the awning rail and shift the awning towards the front maybe 1/2" so I can get both clamps to engage. Anybody else have a better idea?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0520121848a.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	158882   Click image for larger version

Name:	0520121848.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	158883  

Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by barron64 View Post
Looks like I will need a bigger hammer and a sharper file to finish this job...After getting everything installed I ran into this issue. Looks like the awning ia maybe 1" too long or the ribs are maybe 1" too close together...I tend to believe the latter. The front clamp assy fits fine when the awning is rolled up. The rear however is maybe an 1" out. My plan is to remove the two locating screws in the awning rail and shift the awning towards the front maybe 1/2" so I can get both clamps to engage. Anybody else have a better idea?
For your 25 foot Airstream, the correct awning length is 14 feet 11 1/4 inches.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Auburn , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
For your 25 foot Airstream, the correct awning length is 14 feet 11 1/4 inches.

Andy
Andy, Thanks for the help on ordering the awning. It looks great and really impressive quality as well from Zip Dee. I just need to massage it a bit to make it fit.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Auburn , Alabama
Just an up date here...I removed the two small screws that secure the awning to the awning rail and shifted the whole awning towards the front of the camper maybe 1/2". It worked, although not a perfect fit, I can engage both clamps now! Yea! I wish Airstream had built their campers with the same level of quality the Zip Dee guys build awnings...Excellent materials and packaging.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Auburn , Alabama
Thought I would put up a finished install pic...Really sharpens up the old Airstream! Hides some of that oxidation as well!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0530121523a.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	160169