Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Personally, we show being online all the time because I simply don't log off, but am rarely at the computer due to work schedule.

I was able to get quotes rather quickly, found everyone I dealt (at all the places we got prices) with to be nice and professional, but ultimately went with what we felt comfortable with. Sounds like others have favorite dealers as well, which is great too.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Being Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons
Personally, we show being online all the time because I simply don't log off, but am rarely at the computer due to work schedule.
I too show up as being online when at work and actually doing other things. I will check the forums during wait time or writers block, but I use a separate browser for the forums than work. Internet Explorer for work and Firefox for the forums. That way if I have to maximize a browser window for work, it is showing our homepage.

Andy, Karma sent on your attitude about home time. Answering questions at all when home only shows your enthusiasm. Best of luck with the health issues.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons

I was able to get quotes rather quickly, found everyone I dealt (at all the places we got prices) with to be nice and professional, but ultimately went with what we felt comfortable with. Sounds like others have favorite dealers as well, which is great too.
Which dealer did you end up going with?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:32 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
We went with Inland, because the price was better (not by much, but every buck helps!) and they were able to confirm size by serial number. I felt confident the awning I ordered would fit, and if it didn't it would be easy to resolve, rather than finding out I measured wrong and was stuck with an expensive awning that wouldn't work or just didn't fit correctly.

Nothing against the other dealers, all nice people, all competative prices.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #25
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Since you have written several suppliers of Zip Dee awnings, including the Zip Dee factory, we are sure that you will receive competitive quotes.

Therefore to save you time, we respectfully decline to submit a quote for your Zip Dee needs.

Andy
Do you mean that for zip dee awnings quotes , if we contact Zip deep factory, it's no worth to contact you because they have better prices ? if yes, Why to sale their awnings ?

Bruno
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #26
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
I understand that you use the metric system. What I don't understand is why you can't just measure in metric and then translate into inches or feet? If the vendor gives you a measurement of 92", you can figure the feet out yourself by dividing by 12.
I agree with you;
I've taken measurements in my metric system so why a factory or a dealer, can't translate them ?

Are all awnings unique on an A/S ?
With a model as mine 27', overlander, '71,I suppose there is one type of awning we can mount on it ? All the tubes, aluminium covers, drapery, are standart or cut for each model so I don't understand why there is a need of so much data for a replacement....
When you order a complete awning, for a '27, nobody come to take measurements of your '27... so when your order a new drapery, Zipdee have to now which measure they have to sale... it's what i logicaly think.

Bruno.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunoffrance
Do you mean that for zip dee awnings quotes , if we contact Zip deep factory, it's no worth to contact you because they have better prices ? if yes, Why to sale their awnings ?

Bruno
We sell Zip Dee awnings and ship them all over the world.

We have better prices than the factory, since they do not offer a discount.

I "DO NOT" have their catalogs at home, therefore I cannot quote you a price, until I return to my office, which at this time is uncertain when.

We do not want you to feel that we are ignoring you, therefore we suggested that you scratch us off you list, for a Zip Dee quote, for the time being, for the reasons we listed above.

You need to list the color of the fabric that you want. Depending on the color number, the price could be different.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:52 AM   #28
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Blue pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

You need to list the color of the fabric that you want. Depending on the color number, the price could be different.

Andy
So difficult to make a choice so we visit the Sunbrella store ( from Zipdee web site) and found :
ref 4800-0000 Pacific blue/natural 6 bar

Bruno.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:30 AM   #29
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
One week later, no more news.

- Only LEWSTER is very serious in pricing quote . Thank you, i advice him , he is great !
- Hope Andy is feeling better with his health now and wish it's not serious problem so i understand I haven't get his price.
- Aistream of chicago: NO reply even I sent my demand many times; Certainly too much works or selling other items than a TT doesn't interest them. May be too much customers ????
- Zip dee gave me a price ( $29 & $21 ) and you do the final price if you can and for shipping price .... ? Not serious at all . this kind of quote reply with a price by feet is certainly made in 30 seconds and is not professional at all ! it's drapery for Zip dee and the don't do more . They have to earn lot of money for not considering me more seriously.
- CGTrailer gave me a price as Zip dee, no more ... For the shipping, you'll see when you'll pay it....They were serious in the past

I know this kind of situation for an overseas Airstream owner .
Ordering in line is not difficult when it's something simple to order. As i replied to another A/S owner, the most difficult for me, is to have replies and after prices. I've had the experience when I searched A/S dealers to buy silver panels and rivets after my crash with the Airstream.... Only really a few ones replied ( CGTrailers did ).
Even if business is business, only simple and expensive things to sale seem interest them... if they think there'll be a problem .... bye bye , see overthere.

Ordering in line an awning is difficult so the best advice is, you ought to present you , in person, at a dealer where they can sell drapery . In this way, you are not anonymous and the seller has to reply you, has to give you a serious quote and you became a very important person. If the dealer well do his job, he 'll sale you what you want.

On the web, you are only a "tourist" that make him waste his time;

With that , I've decided to get in touch with a french dealer that is using Sunbrela / Dickson constant drapery . Zip dee website gave me for Europe and France, the adress ( near my home) ; After my demand on the web on the french site, they call me on tomorrow... Waowwww
I thought than with the change Euro/dollar, it 'ld be interesting to buy my drapery awning in USA , and it was wrong.
The quote, even in Euro, is really better than what I've got in USA and I've no shipping cost.... The dealer comes on monday to check measures ... in meters ( lol)....
That is business, here.

Bruno
Old 04-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Just a thought. I know English isn't your first language, but you might stop using the word 'demand'. You are, in fact, making a 'request'. 'Demand' sounds agressive and rude to our ears. It could be that you are unintentionally putting sellers off by the tone of your writing. I noticed this when I first started reading this thread and felt that I should finally say something to you about it. The written word is a tricky thing because people can't read the tone of your voice or see the expression on your face to get a sense of mood or intent. If the vendors are anything like me, they don't respond well to 'demands'. I wish you luck getting an awning for your trailer.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #31
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
Just a thought. I know English isn't your first language, but you might stop using the word 'demand'. You are, in fact, making a 'request'. 'Demand' sounds agressive and rude to our ears. It could be that you are unintentionally putting sellers off by the tone of your writing. I noticed this when I first started reading this thread and felt that I should finally say something to you about it. The written word is a tricky thing because people can't read the tone of your voice or see the expression on your face to get a sense of mood or intent. If the vendors are anything like me, they don't respond well to 'demands'. I wish you luck getting an awning for your trailer.
Thank you for the message, I'll care to use this word in it good situation; Sorry if that has offended people so it's the same word in french and has the same use as your word request... i didn't know that and now I know;
Lot of english words are from french language or like the french words and it easy to make faults in using them.
When you'll see my face , you'll see I'm not a rough man, without education , just very american for a french, even if the language is not perfect but I work to improve it.

Thank you one more time for these notices...

Bruno.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #32
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I think a lot of us wish we could speak French as well as you speak English. I've enjoyed your posts and look forward to more.

Come to Eastern Virginia sometime.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote