Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Anywhere , Alabama
Zip Dee Awning Stops When Extending

Our power awning occasionally stops its operation when extending. It extends about 2 feet and as soon as the motors in the side arms turn on to raise the awning, it stops and sits there. Retracts normally and after 1-2 attempts, it works as expected. Thoughts? 2017 Classic.
2016 Ford F-350 Dually
lukeysh714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Ours acts in a similar fashion, has since we got it September of 2016. When it's extending and stops, I retract and start over, so far that is the fix for ours. It seems to do this about every ten or so times.

2020 28' Twin Flying Cloud-(Our 5th Airstream)

USAF Master Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #3
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Mine too. First time it happened I freaked, called Bud. Now when it does it I do exactly what you are doing, wait a second and try again and it works fine. It doesn't do it enough do warrant a trip to any dealer or repair so I am just aware and watching.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Ancaster , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Mine too. First time it happened I freaked, called Bud. Now when it does it I do exactly what you are doing, wait a second and try again and it works fine. It doesn't do it enough do warrant a trip to any dealer or repair so I am just aware and watching.

First couple of times I used mine it tripped the breaker. Sprayed all parts of the arms that moved, been fine ever since.
Happy-rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Ours acts in a similar fashion, has since we got it September of 2016. When it's extending and stops, I retract and start over, so far that is the fix for ours. It seems to do this about every ten or so times.
I don't have that problem, however I do find that the awning doesn't drain very well when it rains. The tilt doesn't go down low enough it seems.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Hollidaysburg , Pennsylvania
Maintenance

Arms need to be cleaned, and lubricated with silicone occasionally to keep it operating properly.
Lljones07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Cumming , Georgia
My 2017 International will do the same thing. My dealer told me the electronics that run the awning can be finicky , said it has a memory that gets confused sometimes. His recommendation was to leave the awning power switch turned ON once I get set up at a campsite, and do not turn it OFF until I'm ready to leave. He said turning the power switch ON and Off each time you extend or retract causes that memory to forget where it is in the cycle.
But still, sometimes when I first turn it on as I get set up it will extend about 2 feet and stop. Retracting and then extending again always corrects it though. I think others here are correct, the arms probably need a spray of silicone, could be if they are not sliding well the system detects extra force to extend the awning and then it stops to protect itself from damage.
Scott59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Same thing happens with my power awning, maybe every dozen or times of deployment. Already had the motor and control board replaced once under warranty.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
terre haute , Indiana
Has happened to me many times. I have had both arms and the circuitboard replaced at the factory. It's still happens. Leaving the power on helps. At least while you're set up at a campsite. Other than that, there is nothing to do but push the buttons to get it to go up and down. The earliest models did not have a power switch. If you don't have one you should probably think about having one installed. Jim Webb from ZioDee mailed me one for free. A great guy. RIP.
jcwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:34 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Anywhere , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwall View Post
Has happened to me many times. I have had both arms and the circuitboard replaced at the factory. It's still happens. Leaving the power on helps. At least while you're set up at a campsite. Other than that, there is nothing to do but push the buttons to get it to go up and down. The earliest models did not have a power switch. If you don't have one you should probably think about having one installed. Jim Webb from ZioDee mailed me one for free. A great guy. RIP.
I have a 2017 Classic and am not aware of a power button. Only thing I have is the pushbutton on the firefly pad. Am I missing something?
2016 Ford F-350 Dually
lukeysh714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeysh714 View Post
I have a 2017 Classic and am not aware of a power button. Only thing I have is the pushbutton on the firefly pad. Am I missing something?
I recently had our 2017 classic at the dealer. I specifically asked them to check the On and Off switch for the power awning since I couldn't tell when it was on or off. I would hit the OFF yet the awning control buttons were still operable.

I was told that the switch is working properly. It is designed to automatically go in the the OFF mode when it detects motion of the trailer moving.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Petrolia , Ontario
The Zip Dee rep. who was at the Escanaba Rally strongly emphasized the need to lubricate the power arms with white Lithium grease. The bearings (on the ends of the awning roller) need to be lubed with spray silicone grease, never WD40. WD will stay wet and collect road dirt. Never a good combination with moving parts.
If sticking parts stop the servo motors from running, maybe this will "ease" the situation.
Portage to Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
terre haute , Indiana
We have a 2016 Pendleton. It was manufactured in February. Originally the keypad did not have a power switch. We were at Alumapalooza in May 2016 and heard that Airstream had a problem with the awning deploying while driving down the road. Actually happened to the president. So they decided they needed to add a power switch. Jim Webb, the president of Zip Dee was working on the awning of the Pendleton parked next to us. He told us that Airstream was now installing a keypad with a power switch. He offered to send one to the owner next to me so I asked for one and he sent us both new keypads with a power switch. The power switch lights up orange when the power is on. You turn it off to travel. I suppose you could also pull the fuse if you didn't have a power switch.

The idea that the switch would turn off power when moving sounds like BS to me. I've never heard of such a switch. I suspect your switch isn't wired correctly.

FYI I went to go hiking yesterday and hit the close button and the awning stopped with about 5 feet left to go. I hit open and then closed button and got the job done. Every time it works I am very grateful. I'd hate to have to get it up manually. The instructions to do that are terrible.
jcwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwall View Post
We have a 2016 Pendleton. It was manufactured in February. Originally the keypad did not have a power switch. We were at Alumapalooza in May 2016 and heard that Airstream had a problem with the awning deploying while driving down the road. Actually happened to the president. So they decided they needed to add a power switch. Jim Webb, the president of Zip Dee was working on the awning of the Pendleton parked next to us. He told us that Airstream was now installing a keypad with a power switch. He offered to send one to the owner next to me so I asked for one and he sent us both new keypads with a power switch. The power switch lights up orange when the power is on. You turn it off to travel. I suppose you could also pull the fuse if you didn't have a power switch.

The idea that the switch would turn off power when moving sounds like BS to me. I've never heard of such a switch. I suspect your switch isn't wired correctly.

FYI I went to go hiking yesterday and hit the close button and the awning stopped with about 5 feet left to go. I hit open and then closed button and got the job done. Every time it works I am very grateful. I'd hate to have to get it up manually. The instructions to do that are terrible.
I am in the Chicago area and will be taking my AS to ZeepD. Will post what I learn.