Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2021, 03:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
NOVI , MI
Zip Dee Awning - Non-Contour Arms Advice

I would like to preface this as a purchase by a person inexperienced in zip dee awning and too excited about their Airstream project who should have done more research. The seller was straight forward and helpful with questions.

I would like some guidance in whether I should keep the set I bought as is and sell to a trailer owner. I paid 1400 for everything and know knowledgeable welders and tailors.

These awnings were taken from a motor home. I purchased a 20.5 foot patio awning with what I assume are Universal arms? One set of hardware is missing one piece only. There is a matching window awning with all hardware (maybe 6 feet wide) and a matching RV slide out awning (about 8 feet wide) with RV slide out hardware. The color is a pretty slate blue. I recognize that buying a manual zip dee awning new with no hardware is about 1400.

I have a 61 Tradewind and plan to cut the tube of the main to the right width on the non-spring end and hem it if I keep it. I can shorten the slide out length if I in the future obtain side awning hardware.

I am picking them up in a couple weeks and already paid so it's either keep some or resell the set (maybe for a profit so I don't kick myself) as is to an owner of a non Airstream RV.

What as my real options here? I appreciate all helpful advice and it's okay if you are at home laughing at me.
Oceana24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:42 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Elk Grove Village , Illinois
Hey, Zip Dee here! We might be able to figure out what you need to make this set of hardware work for you. There will definitely be some pieces missing such as the clamp wheel assemblies, and the awning might not be the correct length to find a rivet line on your trailer. If you know the Year/Make/Model of the motorhome it came off of, that would help. Call our Customer Service Department and ask for Linda. If the hardware can be used, she'll know how to do it! 847-437-0980
ZipDee2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:31 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
NOVI , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipDee2020 View Post
Hey, Zip Dee here! We might be able to figure out what you need to make this set of hardware work for you. There will definitely be some pieces missing such as the clamp wheel assemblies, and the awning might not be the correct length to find a rivet line on your trailer. If you know the Year/Make/Model of the motorhome it came off of, that would help. Call our Customer Service Department and ask for Linda. If the hardware can be used, she'll know how to do it! 847-437-0980
Thank you and I appreciate the response. The seller is not sure which type of camper so I will take photos and measurements in a few weeks when I pick them up so I can have a good chat with Linda.
Oceana24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Zip Dee is very good to deal with!! I spent about 3/4 hr on the phone with Randy last week and he was most helpful. They are there for you!!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
1976 22' Argosy
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote