Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Middle arm deployed - still rubs when in 4/3 combo - i believe my dealer was alerted along with other issues and those will be addressed - I will drop off the trailer perhaps some time after thanksgiving for any and all repairs and this I hope will be addressed

I have almost no trouble deploying the awning - I like the handles - and I simply cannot explain why I find that 40 dollar purchase impossible to make - I may ask for a pair from family as Christmas gift

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Five Gallon Plastic Bucket option

You are making too big an issue out of a simple problem.

When you use the first or second notch... it is when you are not in the trailer and use it for shading the side. You cannot squeeze into the trailer no matter how thin you are, or have become overnight.

The third... When you begin to open the door, push up with your hand the awning and swing the door outward.

The fourth... you are home free and can freely enter and exit without fraying the threads on the stitching of the awning.

Sometimes we would have the awning at the fourth notch on the door side and the other at three. Especially smart when it is raining. It takes the water from the awning and runs it to the opposite side of the trailer.

This has been discussed often enough on the Forum. I heard of ways to work around this, but none were as simple as using your hand, a baseball bat or the bottom of a beer bottle. They all will work. After 8 years and running... this is just something that you just adapt.

You will still find the arc of the door on the awning. Just be careful not to "dismember" the seam threading. Kids do not care what notch the awning is set... so watch them. They are you in miniature.

Do the four notch/three notch for less awning arcing.

When it is windy, take the awning down, or you will be buying rods from Zip Dee. The crab claw will break and the rod will put a dent into your trailer. The awning is for a full hot sun and NO WIND. I have seen what people have done to theirs and learned the hard way.

At three notches we can squeeze around and into the trailer... with effort. Good exercise at the worst. Just a fact of living a "curved world in a square world" trailer. I bet only Airstream owners have this issue. Some big white box on axles do not have this problem. Just one of the costs for being curvy and nimble at the same time!

Oh. The five gallon bucket title... that will have to be posted somewhere else. I misread the thread as to reaching up to secure the awning. Beats me how to change my title.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i've put a small cushion between the middle support rod and the awning. i need to put velcro on the rod so it doesn't fall out when the wind lifts the awning.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
i've put a small cushion between the middle support rod and the awning. i need to put velcro on the rod so it doesn't fall out when the wind lifts the awning.
Fantastic simple idea - I'll try that!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Mandeville , Alabama
Never knew that this handles even existed? Great idea! I'm going to make my own!!!
Natty Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:08 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
After reading through this is sounds like the consensus is that the handles are not needed?
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
We find the handles helpful in getting the awning to and from the fourth notch, so to us, they are worth it. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:10 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
So now we are torn. Sounds like they are good to have but not essential. Do they damage/mark the supports with the way they clamp on?
Old 04-19-2016, 09:17 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
So now we are torn. Sounds like they are good to have but not essential. Do they damage/mark the supports with the way they clamp on?

I removed mine and there is no indication they were ever installed. So no damage and no marks.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I saw the handles on another trailer at a rally and thought they would be a good idea until I checked into the price. I decided to make my own. I got on ebay and bought a 1" square solid aluminum bar and cut it at an angle and then bent a section of 1/8" X 1" aluminum strap to make the mounting strap. I measured about 10 times before deciding where to drill the mounting holes for the strap and bar. I mounted them on the lift arms and eureka, they worked and only cost about $8. I use a piece of velcro strap to hold them in place against the lift arm when not in use. It does make the lifting of the awning much easier, especially adjusting after it is up.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Good to know. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I removed mine and there is no indication they were ever installed. So no damage and no marks.