Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2003, 06:05 PM   #1
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Zip Dee Awning installation

I just picked up 3 new Zip Dee awnings for my Roadside windows. All of the parts are there, awning rail, arms, brackets, rivets, warranty card, and hook. But no installation instructions. Before I start drilling holes I really want to read the instructions, honestly......

Does anyone have a copy I can get via email or fax??
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 08:36 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
Call zip dee at 1-800-338-2378 or visit there web site www.zipdeeinc.com . they can give you all the info you need.
Chris

I will be buying one for my Argosy next week they are located 10 miles from me.
Tikihut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 09:54 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
MIssing Instructions?

I purchased a rear awning and a second full sized awing for the roadside of our Bambi directly from Zip Dee and both came with VERY well written installation instructions and ALL the piece parts including rivets. If you bought directly from Zip Dee, there must have been an oversight. The installation of your side awnings will be very similar to the installation of my rear awning. One thing you will need to buy and have on hand BEFORE drilling your first hole is a tube of Vulken 116. I was warned by my Airstream service center to NOT use silcone sealer as it can attract and hold water behind it and cause the aluminum to oxidize where as the Vulkem will NOT attract water. I got mine at our local Airstream Service Center (N Dallas RV). After drilling your holes, you fill each one with some of the Vulken, then apply a nice amount to what ever you are about to rivet in place (such as the awning rail), then you install the rivets. As all the rivets used are the pop type, there is a chance of leakage where the pull nail breaks off the rivet during installation, so I applied a dap of the Vulken to totally cover the rivets. It takes several days for the Vulken to cure to touch (it never really hardens), so I placed a small patch of plastic wrap to the covered rivet heads so as to prevent the Vulken from getting on the awning when in the retracted position. Once a week or so has passed, you can remove the plastic wrap. Another thing to know is the Vulken 116 can really be a MESS to work with. It is extremely sticky. I found that I could easily clean up with denatured alcohol (Home Depot).

david
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 10:08 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
david,

Thanks for the info. I purchased these from an RV boneyard, but they must have gotten them from a defunct dealer.

I will use Olympic rivets to attach the awning rail so I should not have to worry about the sealing of the holes, but I like your saran wrap idea
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote