Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2020, 10:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Sonoma , California
Zip Dee 12v Roller Head Bolt

I'm trying to replace a failed motor in the Zip Dee Relax 12v Awning. Step 2.c says "Insert winding tool and remove the head bolt" (see attached image).

That sounds easier than it is. The nut was easy to remove but the bolt appears to be a Philips head but the head is up tight against the body of the Airstream (see attached image).

How is one supposed to remove that? Is it supposed to be unscrewed or can it be tapped out? If unscrewed, how on earth does anyone get a Philips head screw driver on it?

I am stumped.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23797858-1F99-4A0B-8A26-8357BF8C1746_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	373194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1635.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	373195  

chipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:05 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Sonoma , California
Nothing, eh? I had hoped someone would have had experience removing the bolt to replace their motor. It's definitely a challenge I'm having a hard time figuring out how to overcome without breaking something.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:23 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Sonoma , California
I have a couple more questions about the instructions for replacing the motor. Instruction 2.d says "Hand roll the awning out so the canvas is all the way extended." 2.e then says "Replace the head bolt and remove the winding tool."

First, I am assuming that the "hand roll" part means that I put a wrench on the winding tool to make that happen. Is the correct?

Second, it appears that the the head bolt must be removed before any unrolling can happen. That seems someone counter-intuitive to me since the turning the motor manually should effectively unroll the awning in the same manner as operating it normally. So, why does the head bolt need to be removed and can I unroll the awning any to get to the head of the head bolt?

The instructions are just not complete enough for me to know what to do here.

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Sonoma , California
It is impossible to get a philips head screw driver (of any form I can think of) on the head of that screw and turn it. I've tried a couple of ratchets and an angled screw driver. No luck. This is ridiculous.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:03 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Sonoma , California
This is f-ing ridiculous. I spoke with Zip Dee this morning and they explained that I needed to use the winding tool to remove the tension to push out the head bolt. The head bolt is not screwed into the motor or the head casting but there is the full tension of the springs on the head bolt. Well, the winding tool broke off in the motor shaft. Now I'm really screwed!

All this because of a controller that was mis-programmed from the factory which burned out the motor.

I don't know what I'm going to do now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pasted_Image_7_20_20__2_00_PM.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	373429  
Old 08-24-2020, 08:38 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Geismar , Louisiana
I feel your pain Chipr - did you ever manage to replace the motor?

Our Zip Dee 12V awning wouldn’t close all the way yesterday when attempting to head home after a nice trip (on a Sunday, of course). My owner’s manual had a detailed procedure to retract the awning manually if it failed to retract automatically, but it included a couple of steps that required a special “winding tool”—something that unfortunately is in an “Emergency Repair Kit” that the previous owner of our 2016 Classic 30 didn’t leave for us.

So, convinced we were screwed, and given that a couple of tropical storms / hurricanes were bearing down on us here in South Louisiana we decided to head home and leave our Airstream at the campground, hoping to return with the necessary tool(s) the next day.

When I called Zip Dee customer service on Monday morning, to my surprise I learned that this tool isn’t actually necessary to manually retract the awning; all that’s necessary is to (a) remove the two air cushions (which was straightforward), (b) remove the “head bolt” (which required manipulating the main tube a bit to allow it to be pushed out), and then (c) rolling the main tube (CCW while looking toward the rear) while making sure the motor staff didn’t disengage the socket in the head (required 2 people). Once almost 100% retracted (180 degrees shy), we re-installed the head screw & retaining nut, and it was fine for towing home. Why this wasn’t explained in the owner’s manual is perplexing (and highly frustrating), especially since a trailer can’t be towed w/ a deployed awning.

Zip Dee said my drive motor is probably bad, so I’m wondering if you were able to successfully replace it, and whether there were any other shortcomings in the Zip Dee literature that you encountered. Finally, I hope you managed to get it all worked out.
depiertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:02 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Sonoma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by depiertm View Post
I feel your pain Chipr - did you ever manage to replace the motor?
Yes and no. The process was miserable. We ended up removing the powered awning and are replacing it with a manual one. Apparently, we are not the only ones who do this and I just got to the point where I could not trust the powered awning any longer.

Tags
12v, awning, relax, zip dee