Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
French Settlement , Louisiana
window awning

I have to mount a window awning on my rear window and looks like the clearence lights are to low ? Is there a standard to set these ?What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0150.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	62381  
housebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
That is interesting, I would have thought your lights would have been higher in 83. When I installed my awning, I had to move my Airstream emblem and relocate it. My lights were plenty high.
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Yeah, those lights are low. I just did a rear awning install on mine and I think I needed at least 4-5 inches above the window rail.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You could always go with the "snap-on" awnings...rather than a roll.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by housebg View Post
I have to mount a window awning on my rear window and looks like the clearence lights are to low ? Is there a standard to set these ?What do you guys think?
NOPE!.............YOU DON'T MAKE IT!

You need a minimum of 3" to the center of the awning rail from the top of your window trim, and it looks like you have 2.25"

You could still possibly install the Zip-Dee awning, but the cover over the roller tube will slightly overhang your window. It's a tough call whether you want to do that or not.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:46 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Question move the lights up ?

I guess I could move the lights up ,This could be a major job any other Ideas.Billy
Old 06-16-2008, 06:14 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have an older Carefree of Colorado read awning that came with my trailer (not installed). It is very small and might work, if you can find one...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75air.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	62410  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Thumbs up Well I am going to install like it is

I saw another airstream and it was the same ,so here goes,hope for the best and not be to mad ,with what I have . Well does any one have a offical mounting instructions.It looks cut and dried but who knows.And I need to buy one of the hold open hooks where is this possible.I look over the Zip dee website and saw what they had about Instulation. So here goes Billy
Old 06-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by housebg View Post
I saw another airstream and it was the same ,so here goes,hope for the best and not be to mad ,with what I have . Well does any one have a offical mounting instructions.It looks cut and dried but who knows.And I need to buy one of the hold open hooks where is this possible.I look over the Zip dee website and saw what they had about Instulation. So here goes Billy
Billy,

You got me thinking and I just measured my rear window awning........it's just 3" above the window frame Uthe rain rail that protrudes from the side of the A/S.

It looks like you will be able to do it........tight......but do-able!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Thumbs up I look at the other trailer and it look ok

You would think there was a standard for the light height.But it looks like it is where ever the kid with the drill wants to put them.I have noticed that they are different on all trailers(AS)? Thanks for the help everyone
Old 06-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you wind up having to move the lights, it isn't a catastrophe. You'd just need to drill 3 holes slightly higher than where they are now, directly above the holes you have. Many of the clearance lights have plug-in connectors, so you may not even have to cut and splice wires. Seal up the old holes with vulkem or rivets.
Of course, it will be better if you don't have to move them...
Old 06-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
I like Shari's idea with the snap on awnings... a whole lot easier and won't
entail moving lights up and over or having the awning bars bulk up the look of the rear. Just my opinion...

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks Debra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babeebloos View Post
I like Shari's idea with the snap on awnings... a whole lot easier and won't entail moving lights up and over or having the awning bars bulk up the look of the rear. Just my opinion...
The only thing with the snap-on awnings that may not work for everybody is, that the windows must be open for them to be deployed. The window is the awning frame. We don't have a/c so we always have our windows open...but I can imagine that if you had a/c and you wanted the awnings out for extra shade so your a/c doesn't have to work as hard...that would be a problem. So I guess it depends on your trailer and your choice of camping locations - where we camp, we don't need a/c 98% of the time...for the 2% (@ most International Rallies), we take a window box unit and don't use the awnings.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
awning lock

Does anyone think I need them or not, some one said that was only for ten ft or longer Billy
Old 06-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
You can put an awning rail just below your clearance lights. Make arms much like Zip Dee arms that attach to the coach via a bracket riveted to the coach and in place of bolts, use 1/4 pins. At the coach end of the awning material sew in the same flexible plastic they always use. At the outer part of the awning material, sew a pocked about an inch wide the full width. Make the awning about five inches longer than the pocket to allow for the part that hangs down. Drill a 25/64 hole hear the outer end of each arm. Get some 3/8 inch aluminum dowel to slide through the awning pocket and the arms. Make it a little longer than needed, drill holes near the end and use hair pin clips to keep the arms from sliding off the dowel.

To hold the awning out from the coach, make two stand-off rods that are in pockets along each end of the awning.

To put it up, slide the awning into the rail, attach each arm to the coach, slide the stand-off dowels into their pockets, slide the arms onto the aluminum dowel, secure with the hair pin clips and you're done. To remove, reverse the procedure, put it all together and roll it up. You can roll the arms and stand-off dowels up inside the awning. You can leave the outer dowel in the pocket.

It will be completely independent of your rear window.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Thumbs up awning up look good

Got it on and looks good kind of tight ,but not bad and if you did not know to look for it you would never notice it.
Now all I need is a 14 ft window awning Billy
Old 10-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I was searching this subject as I have exactly the same original issue. Answers above seem a bit contradictory. So can I put on a Zip Dee rear window awning with the distances in post #1 without moving the marker lights and not significantly interfering with rear window opening? Anybody got a photo?

I have a similar issue with the roadside awning. ZipDee installation instructions call for the awning rail 4 3/4" above the window frames. This would put the awning right underneath the kitchen stove vent. Problem?
Old 10-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Zip Dee says they have mounted lots of rear awnings without moving the low lights with no problem. Said you can also mount the awning rail upside down.

They also said I can lower the awning rail on the roadside awning. Just not so low it interferes with window operation.