Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2017, 10:51 PM   #41
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanadoc View Post
You can also check under the sink and look for several cables going into the bottom of the control board. One of the connectors clicks into place and sometimes comes loose. Make sure it is snapped in and try the button again.
Thanks for that tip. I disconnected and reconnected two large green cable connectors in addition to the power connector. Then I pressed "Close." For the first time since the awning refused to open, the motors in the awning made noises as if they were trying to do something, although nothing visible was happening. This seems to be a slight improvement. However, given it's late at night and we're on the road moving daily over the next several days, I decided that for now discretion is the better part of valor and unplugged the power to the board so it can't accidentally open, etc. I'll call Zip Dee later this week. Afterward, we'll take another look at it once we finish our week of travel. Then we'll have time to really evaluate it and maybe persuade an Airstream dealer to repair it if needed.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Kalispell , Montana
https://youtu.be/Cl8-5idoiHI
Montanadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #43
Link’s Travels

2002 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
1999 35' XL 350 w/slide
LINCOLN , Nebraska
Help from Logrider on auto awning or anyone?

We purchased a new 2018 27’ International Signature FB in Salem last week. Have had problem with awning; went out but wouldn’t come back in all the way. ZipDee says, after an hour on phone and testing by pulling out one of the yellow wires in the electric board, that there is a short in this yellow ground wire. To replace it you have to run a new wire from front bottom awning sleeve all the way back to electric panel. The front electrical connection is in the storage compartment, front right side looking from back of trailer, under twin bed. This is a considerable distance and original wiring was run through wall so we can’t do that. Anyone know if there are many obstacles to encounter along this route (behind bathroom sink, kitchen drawers and counter)? Also, electric panel is easy to get at under kitchen sink.
MissingLink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Who has a Zip Dee Relax 12v Automatic Awning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingLink5 View Post
We purchased a new 2018 27’ International Signature FB in Salem last week. Have had problem with awning; went out but wouldn’t come back in all the way. ZipDee says, after an hour on phone and testing by pulling out one of the yellow wires in the electric board, that there is a short in this yellow ground wire. To replace it you have to run a new wire from front bottom awning sleeve all the way back to electric panel. The front electrical connection is in the storage compartment, front right side looking from back of trailer, under twin bed. This is a considerable distance and original wiring was run through wall so we can’t do that. Anyone know if there are many obstacles to encounter along this route (behind bathroom sink, kitchen drawers and counter)? Also, electric panel is easy to get at under kitchen sink.

On a new unit, take it back to the dealer. Use your warranty. To temporarily get it to close, buy a small roll of 14 gauge single wire and run a "new" wire temporarily to the electrical box bypassing the original wire.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:29 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Definitely agree to let the dealer fix this. From conversations with techs, I gather that rough edges on openings that the wires travel through are a frequent cause of shorts.

Also, your AS should have come with an emergency kit for the electric awning that includes a long gray wire with alligator clips. Run it from the battery box to the electrical feed at the front end of the awning cylinder. Applying current will cause it to retract by rolling up.
lbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:35 PM   #46
Link’s Travels

2002 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
1999 35' XL 350 w/slide
LINCOLN , Nebraska
Auto Awning

Bought new 27’ International Signature FB at Salem Rally. First time I tried to use awning it wouldnt retrieve all the way. Front pole would retrieve to within 2’ but stuck straight up in the air; back awning stuck in tip mode. Called ZipDee where they had me disconnect one of two yellow wires from electric board under kitchen sink. Slowly, by turning switch on and off, awning moved 1” each time and after four or five times it closed. Getting appt with Airstream dealer to fix under warranty. Similar problem with hot water heater; replaced circuit board and worked for one day. Sounds like Inc is aware of many bad boards and working on solution. Life of a new airstream owner! Forgot to mention I am still waiting books and emergency awning kit among other things.
MissingLink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:19 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Thanks for that tip. I disconnected and reconnected two large green cable connectors in addition to the power connector. Then I pressed "Close." For the first time since the awning refused to open, the motors in the awning made noises as if they were trying to do something, although nothing visible was happening. This seems to be a slight improvement. However, given it's late at night and we're on the road moving daily over the next several days, I decided that for now discretion is the better part of valor and unplugged the power to the board so it can't accidentally open, etc. I'll call Zip Dee later this week. Afterward, we'll take another look at it once we finish our week of travel. Then we'll have time to really evaluate it and maybe persuade an Airstream dealer to repair it if needed.

Forgot to finish this story: We finally got our awning fixed in Nashville last year, at a dealer Zip Dee said was an authorized service center for their awnings, even though they weren't an Airstream dealer. Since we're out of warranty, we figured it was fine as long as they knew Zip Dee. Turns out they hadn't worked on a Zip Dee awning in nearly ten years. <sigh> Still, they were able to fix it after roughly $2,000 in parts and labor. These things are too expensive and too unreliable, in my view. If we ever have to do major surgery on the awning again, we'll probably replace it with a manual awning!

Old 08-16-2018, 08:04 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Has anyone any definitive information on whether ZipDee has ever fixed the problems with this awning? I realize many have had problems from the introduction of this beast, but as of 2019, have the problems with new models been solved?

I just ordered a 2019 classic that has the Relax awning as standard equipment (not my choice). Am I in for issues down the road?

https://youtu.be/CGIzDrlJsGg

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:47 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I had a 2020 Int Ser. with the 12V Relax. I had intermittent issues with the awning. It would randomly need to be cycled a couple times to get it to fully open. Sometimes the tilt feature wouldn’t work. I also had an issue with cone-ing which was corrected when I flipped the struts. I now have a FC with a manual awning... I’m not missing the automatic yet.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:57 PM   #50
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Disclaimer...we have a manual.

We were in JC last August.
There were three trailers and two interstates there for 'relax' repairs, when we left the next day there were three trailers and one interstate.

I believe I'll just keep relaxing under our manual thank you very much.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5980B77A-7224-411A-AF55-D296AEAA539F_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	389657  
Old 03-16-2021, 01:56 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Back when I ordered my 2016 Classic, the electric awning was optional and I got it. I didn't heed the warnings I read. Now I have to do the not-so easy task of replacing the roller motor in mine.

Zip Dee charges a fortune for their replacement parts. I bet selling parts for this crap item is half their profit.

I may consider either just removing this thing and plugging the holes or going with a non-Zip Dee manual awning.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:15 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Back when I ordered my 2016 Classic, the electric awning was optional and I got it. I didn't heed the warnings I read. Now I have to do the not-so easy task of replacing the roller motor in mine.

Zip Dee charges a fortune for their replacement parts. I bet selling parts for this crap item is half their profit.

I may consider either just removing this thing and plugging the holes or going with a non-Zip Dee manual awning.

Wow...Sorry to hear that
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:32 PM   #53
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I replaced the roller motor two years ago. As I understand it, the newer version has higher torque than the original that came in my '15 Classic. It was definitely a pain to replace it, but the awning has worked perfectly with the newer version.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:00 PM   #54

Same here, had to have the roller motor replaced. It was expensive to do so, nearly had the awning removed and replaced with a manual awning, but relented. If it had failed again before we sold the trailer, we definitely would have yanked it off.

Old 03-16-2021, 05:18 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
When we first got our 2021 Int., the automatic awning had issues. It was all jacked up actually. Turns out that it was due to incorrect installation by Airstream, not actually a Zip Dee issue but it caused parts to fail nonetheless. It was fixed under warranty and no issues since. I actually like it because most of our trips are going to be short weekend trips. So any time saver for me setting up or taking down camp is a plus. I think they got a lot of the bugs worked out of these things in the past few years.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v