Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Belvidere , Illinois
When to roll her up?

Hi...we are wondering if anyone can give us a general rule of thumb as to how much wind is too much to have the awning out? I think I am being too much of a chicken about opening it up when it is blowing a bit outside. I just don't want to incur any damage by leaving it open when we should not.

Thanks!

Visit our travel blog "Full Hook Ups"
silverpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
A good rule of thumb I use is that if the wind is blowing too hard for me to comfortably sit outside and enjoy myself it's probably time to roll it up. Once you get use to it, rolling the awning up, or extending it, is a quick and simple task. Never leave the awning extended when you leave for the day and, again, for me personally, I often roll it up before I retire for the evening. Trust me - it isn't any fun to crawl out of a warm bed at 3:00 a.m to secure a wild awning! I'll admit that a lot of my cautionary stance comes from camping on the Florida coast - but I've had weather catch me off guard elsewhere too.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
If you've asked yourself the question - it's time to roll it up ....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
When to roll her up

Yea, what Cracker said.
Done the 3 AM thing.
Got the T shirt, and the new awning parts that got broken.
Beginner
I learned that lesson a little late.
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
It's making the coach move!

If the wind is causing the coach to move, roll her up. I have had to fight a powerful wind to roll one up and its really bad if you wait too long.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
... not to mention rain. A quick thunderstorm caught us once, the water pooled on top and the rear support arm folded like a cheap umbrella. Not good times.

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I've got to be real sure of the weather before I leave camp with my awning out. Always be sure to rig it with one arm adjusted shorter than the other. The sideways slope helps prevent rain pooling in the middle.

See: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f442...age-25266.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
And don't leave your rig unattended with the awning out! I can't tell you how many times Maria and I have had to rip down to the park and try to roll up people's wildly-flapping awnings while they're away!

Lynn
Old 04-12-2007, 06:50 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Belvidere , Illinois
Thanks for all the sage advice folks! I seem to have a curse on me with this issue. If I pull that awning out...even on the most calm peaceful morning, by noon it's blowing a gale.

The whole mechanism seems to me less than hearty/sturdy so I figured a conservative approach was best. And now with what you all have said I can see I was right.

At least I know my cute patio lights will last for a loooong time becase it seems I will barely ever get to use them!

Visit our travel blog "Full Hook Ups"
silverpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
For what it's worth......

The Girard fully automatic awnings found on the Prevost and other big bus-type MoHos have a with sensor (anemometer) on the top of the roof for each awning. They feed information into a microprocessor that will retract the awning at a pre-set wind speed. This is set by a variable control located deep inside the PC board. It ranges from 12 mph to 30mph. The factory default setting is 22mph read for a constant 20 seconds, not a gust. Anything over that will void the warranty.

Having said that, if your awning starts to flap or buck beyond your comfort level.....bring it in! Also, I usually don't leave mine out after I retire due to the possibility of a sudden rain, which might damage it form water weight.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Didja ever notice....

That whenever you use an RV park and the weather is hot and sunny, you're parked so that the big awning is on the NORTH side of the Airstream? Yet if it's hot but too windy to use the awning, sure enough you're site will have your curbside awning facing due south!

Paula Ford
Old 04-13-2007, 08:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
The Girard fully automatic awnings found on the Prevost and other big bus-type MoHos have a with sensor (anemometer) on the top of the roof for each awning. They feed information into a microprocessor that will retract the awning at a pre-set wind speed. This is set by a variable control located deep inside the PC board. It ranges from 12 mph to 30mph. The factory default setting is 22mph read for a constant 20 seconds, not a gust. Anything over that will void the warranty.

Having said that, if your awning starts to flap or buck beyond your comfort level.....bring it in! Also, I usually don't leave mine out after I retire due to the possibility of a sudden rain, which might damage it form water weight.

Wow! That's a lot of wind Lew! We normally use 25 mph as the point where "whitecaps" start forming on waves. I would have folded up long before that! We use to have a 12 x 12 screen room that was tough as nails! It was held up by shock cords looped over horizontal aluminum ridge poles. I've watched that room lay over 3 to 4 feet to one side - with the shock cords stretched to 3 times their length - only to bounce right back upright when the wind stopped blowing. Unfortunately, out Airstream awnings are attached to the rigid body of the Airstream. Not very forgiving!

Old 04-13-2007, 07:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Nope!

They'd probably get ripped right off the body!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Also a good idea if you winter camp to roll it in too. Even a few inch or so across say an awning on a 30' will bend the roll. Ask Norby!

Luckily, Zip Dee is right down the street!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:40 PM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
When we hear it flapping in the wind, we roll it up.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:03 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've pretty much gone by the same theory as others, that if it's starting to give you too much movement, it's time to roll it up. Nothing worse than to try to roll up the awning in high wind.

One thing I bought and haven't used with the Airstream is a tiedown strap. This was a thick strap that fit over the top of the awning and attached to springs that were staked into the ground. I used to use this when we did a lot of ocean front camping where the wind is usually present. It did a great job in keeping the awning from flapping around and kept the arms from being stressed.

I still have that tie down strap and probably wouldn't hesitate to use it if we were back doing the ocean front camping again.

In practice I've found that my Zip-Dee is much more stable than any awning on my previous SOB's.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradhstream
... not to mention rain. A quick thunderstorm caught us once, the water pooled on top and the rear support arm folded like a cheap umbrella. Not good times.
The pooling water issue is easily solved if you raise the front part of the awning up a notch higher than the rear. By doing that, you give the rain a "down hill" slope to drain off the awning. Regardless of the weather, I always notch the front up higher so I'm prepared in the event of an unexpected downpour. Also, unless there are strong winds, I prefer to keep my awning open during a rainstorm. It provides a covered "porch" area for getting in and out of the trailer without the rain following me into the trailer everytime I open the door.

With regards to the wind, if my awning arms are creaking from the strain of wind, that is my indicator to roll it up.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 07:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I've pretty much gone by the same theory as others, that if it's starting to give you too much movement, it's time to roll it up. Nothing worse than to try to roll up the awning in high wind.

One thing I bought and haven't used with the Airstream is a tiedown strap. This was a thick strap that fit over the top of the awning and attached to springs that were staked into the ground. I used to use this when we did a lot of ocean front camping where the wind is usually present. It did a great job in keeping the awning from flapping around and kept the arms from being stressed.

I still have that tie down strap and probably wouldn't hesitate to use it if we were back doing the ocean front camping again.

In practice I've found that my Zip-Dee is much more stable than any awning on my previous SOB's.

Jack

I'm not sure I'd trust a tiedown strap for anything other than what you mentioned Jack - as a "quieting device." Beyond that, IMHO, tiedowns provide a false sense of security - and our awnings are too rigidly mounted for the flexibility of the tiedown springs to provide anything more than just enough tension to keep things quiet. If a stake was to ever pull out it probably means the awning is headed south over the trailer! In truth, there's probably nothing we can do to reduce the risk of damage - outside of simply folding them up. Awnings are a "must have" item but they're really a fair weather piece of equipment.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:36 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Cracker raises a good question about wind speed, "how do you tell what the wind speed is". One answer is to get a anemometer, like a Kistrel or a Halls Brothers. I purchased a hang glider anemometer from Aircraft Spruce for about $22 and it reads wind speeds from about 5mph to 40mph. It works great and it's analog (never needs serviceing or batteries). In the absence of one of these instruments, you can use this guide.
0-4mph glassy water
4-8mph slight ripples on the water
8-11mph sight waves on the water but no white caps
11-12mph whitecaps first start to appear and are randomly spaced
12-16mph whitecaps become more numerous and evenly spaced
17-30mph whitecaps become much more numerous & windsurfers start to appear from nowhere
30-40 mph water starts to look like the top of your cafe' latte'
Enjoy!
Old 04-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
We took notes from the guy in front of us when camping with ours the first year. He left his out the hole time but let it all the way down so water couldn't pool and the wind couldn't get under it as easily.
We left it out for the hole 6 months it was at the camp ground. Except for one time when they where calling for tornadoes. Had to make a special trip down there (30 miles away) to roll it up then.
Other than that we just let it up or down in front depending on the weather or when we left.
How ever we are usually parked with our back to the wind in a cove. All the camp sites where we camp are in coves of a lake.