Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2015, 05:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Wet Awning

Still kinda new at this rv thing. If your awning gets wet, like after a rain, is it ok to roll it up if it's still wet? Will it get mildewed? Thanks
loberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:57 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

It's happened to us many times...we unroll it on the pad at home, it doesn't take long to dry if breezy & the Suns out.
More of a concern if you don't store at home.

Bob
Old 10-10-2015, 06:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
We do the same. If it's rolled up wet, we unroll at home. As Robert said, it dries quickly in the sun. I have not had a mildew issue. Tree sap yes, mildew no.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sunbrella is not prone to mildew and drys very quickly. So ok to roll up wet and open and dry in a reasonable time. It is more important to clean leaves and trash off before rolling up as that can cause staining that can be hard to remove.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:12 AM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I don't really see how those aluminum slats can keep the awning 100% dry to begin with.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Wet Awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I don't really see how those aluminum slats can keep the awning 100% dry to begin with.

The Alumaguard (slats) aren't intended to keep the awning dry despite what the advertisements state though it does help to some degree. Its primary purpose is to keep eliminate UV exposure from the sun which is a awning fabric killer.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Kevin, that is what I see their primary function as also.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 10-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Unless you never put your awning down, it will inevitably get wet some time. All of the prior comments express the facts of the case. I will occasionally open and air out the awning just because. The less you use it the more chance dampness could invade the awning. Opening the awning for an occasional inspection I think is well worth it.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #9
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Awning fabric maintenance:

http://cdn.glenraven.net/sunbrella/_...ing-fabric.pdf
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Can second their recommendation of using 303 to retreat. I have been using it for years on Sunbrella and other brands of marine canvas.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
When we purchased our '83 27' Excella in December of '08, the blue stripe ZipDee awning had never had a good cleaning and looked very bad, especially near where it attaches to the aluminum cover where it was green with what looked like algae. I unbolted the arms from the side of the trailer and let them go under the trailer and the awning hang down the side of the trailer. I used mild soap and a brush to wash the Sunbrella, then raised the awning and washed the underside. After a good rinse, I let it dry. I washed the full length street side awning and rear window awning as well.
I had purchased a gallon and one quart of 303. I treated the top of all awnings with two applications of 303.
On several occasions I have had to wash bird droppings or other bad stuff. After that area dries I squirt on some 303.
The fabric is not as firm and crisp as new, but the colors are bright and, so far, not a drop of water comes through.

303 is great stuff.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote